First-generation student, NEED advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElizaThornberry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I feel like I am definitely in a unique predicament and I will appreciate any advice from those who know about the path to veterinary school!

I am a first generation student and I have basically disowned myself from my biological parents. I am currently a junior attending a state school (Illinois). I will be graduating in the Spring of 2020. That being said, I have taken my time throughout my college journey. I graduated high school in 2012 with no clear goals as to what I wanted to pursue major wise. I actually went to a community college for 4 years (2013-2017). This is because I only went part time while I was trying to figure out what I should do with my life. I finally decided on being a biology major because I was good at it and it was fun. After getting my Associate's in Science, I went to a university for 1 year, and then transferred because I did not like it. But it was there I decided vet school sounded like something I think I would enjoy. Now I am at this state school and have a few semesters left. I have maybe 20 hours of volunteer experience at a humane society and dog walking center. I also shadowed a vet once. I am looking for more substantial experience because I am severely lacking!! It should be noted that I have NO car. It actually broke down 4 years ago, and I have not been able to save enough to buy another. I have applied to dozens of kennel tech positions and have been turned down for ALL of them. Is this because I am technically overqualified because I almost have my Bachelor's?? or is it because of my lack of experience??? I am looking to find a paid position working with animals but it is nearly impossible. What is the best way to get a decent amount of hours without sacrificing school?? Additionally, would it be better to do an internship or a master's program before I apply (probably in 2021)??? I am in dire need of advice, and I appreciate help that any of you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

You're most likely not getting kennel tech jobs due to your lack of experience with animals. A few things I would suggest looking into to is first contacting some clinics to see if they're willing to let you shadow to gain more experience that way you can build vet hours and hopefully if you apply again you'll have better luck getting a kennel tech or vet assistant job. Another possibility is to see if any of your local shelters, maybe even the one you worked at have any medical volunteering opportunities, I did this at a shelter I worked out they had a medical orientation and after you were allowed to assist the vet staff with things like cleaning surgical equipment, pulling tubes, folding laundry things like that. You could also look into volunteering at other places such as wildlife clinics, zoos or aquariums as they usually have volunteer and internship positions, the internships may be a little harder to sway right now with a lack of experience but it doesn't hurt to try and you may get one it all depends on what particular programs are looking for. You could also look into getting into a research lab on campus which could aid in giving a diversified experience. As far as a masters program it really depends on your grades I wouldn't waste the money on an extra degree if you have a decent GPA as it won't really help in the experience department. If you do not have a lot of experience by cycle you intend to apply you may want to consider taking some time off to gain that experience. But volunteering is usually a good way to start, and it is very important to get those hours as you will need a recommendation letter from at least one veterinarian, and also it will help you to figure out if this is truly a field you want to go into, as it is very time-consuming and expensive.

Reactions: 3 users
I would reach out to clinics that you can access through public transportation and ask about shadowing for a day. Express your interest in gaining experience in the field. Many times, once you build that relationship, they are a lot more likely to consider hiring you and training you on the job.

Internships and masters programs are not necessary. You need a lot more vet hours before you consider applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, agree with the above that it's probably due to a lack of hands-on experience with animals that you're not getting these jobs (also, if they know you don't have a car did you state you have another means of transport?). I am not in your predicament financially so my situation is not the same but from what I found was that, freshman year in undergrad, I applied to all of these hospitals in my area for paid positions (over a dozen hospitals) but none took (and I had very good experience going into undergrad). So I realized I was losing out on internship (unpaid) opportunities that were being thrown my way so I could make some money. Granted, I did end up working in a lab and making some living money but my 2 cents is that if you get an opportunity to work for someone to gain unique hands-on experience, do it! If you're okay with waiting until after you graduate to get some experience (i.e. delaying applying) then do that so you can earn some money but, if you're turning down internships for paid positions, it will be a tough road ahead :( Sorry I know it sucks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I feel like I am definitely in a unique predicament and I will appreciate any advice from those who know about the path to veterinary school!

I am a first generation student and I have basically disowned myself from my biological parents. I am currently a junior attending a state school (Illinois). I will be graduating in the Spring of 2020. That being said, I have taken my time throughout my college journey. I graduated high school in 2012 with no clear goals as to what I wanted to pursue major wise. I actually went to a community college for 4 years (2013-2017). This is because I only went part time while I was trying to figure out what I should do with my life. I finally decided on being a biology major because I was good at it and it was fun. After getting my Associate's in Science, I went to a university for 1 year, and then transferred because I did not like it. But it was there I decided vet school sounded like something I think I would enjoy. Now I am at this state school and have a few semesters left. I have maybe 20 hours of volunteer experience at a humane society and dog walking center. I also shadowed a vet once. I am looking for more substantial experience because I am severely lacking!! It should be noted that I have NO car. It actually broke down 4 years ago, and I have not been able to save enough to buy another. I have applied to dozens of kennel tech positions and have been turned down for ALL of them. Is this because I am technically overqualified because I almost have my Bachelor's?? or is it because of my lack of experience??? I am looking to find a paid position working with animals but it is nearly impossible. What is the best way to get a decent amount of hours without sacrificing school?? Additionally, would it be better to do an internship or a master's program before I apply (probably in 2021)??? I am in dire need of advice, and I appreciate help that any of you can give me!

Hello! Your first step is to get more experience shadowing veterinarians, because you are right, getting more experience in the field is very important. Vet school is a heck of a journey, both in terms of challenge and the debt load you would be taking on -- you need to be absolutely sure you understand the profession and what you would be getting yourself into before deciding to head down that road, take an additional year to get more experience/take pre-reqs, etc.

I would also encourage you to keep your options open and explore other possibilities, too. There are a lot of careers that involve helping animals in some way. There are also a lot of cool careers that involve doing something else entirely.

It's difficult to speculate on why exactly you haven't had much luck landing kennel positions. I would encourage you, though, to start by taking a hard look at your application materials (your resume, etc) and your interviewing skills and address any areas for improvement there. Most schools have some sort of career services department that can help with those things, try looking into that.

Shadowing veterinarians can also be a way to network with local clinics and allow them to get to know you, which can be helpful if they have any kennel, reception, or veterinary assistant positions open up. Obviously this is not guaranteed and you should not go into shadowing opportunities expecting this to happen right away, but it is possible for shadowing to lead to a paid position sometimes.

Not having a car definitely makes all this more difficult. I realize this varies a lot/will depend on where you live, but is there a public transportation system that you could leverage to get to local clinics? What does that situation look like?

You're most likely not getting kennel tech jobs due to your lack of experience with animals. A few things I would suggest looking into to is first contacting some clinics to see if they're willing to let you shadow to gain more experience that way you can build vet hours and hopefully if you apply again you'll have better luck getting a kennel tech or vet assistant job. Another possibility is to see if any of your local shelters, maybe even the one you worked at have any medical volunteering opportunities, I did this at a shelter I worked out they had a medical orientation and after you were allowed to assist the vet staff with things like cleaning surgical equipment, pulling tubes, folding laundry things like that. You could also look into volunteering at other places such as wildlife clinics, zoos or aquariums as they usually have volunteer and internship positions, the internships may be a little harder to sway right now with a lack of experience but it doesn't hurt to try and you may get one it all depends on what particular programs are looking for. You could also look into getting into a research lab on campus which could aid in giving a diversified experience. As far as a masters program it really depends on your grades I wouldn't waste the money on an extra degree if you have a decent GPA as it won't really help in the experience department. If you do not have a lot of experience by cycle you intend to apply you may want to consider taking some time off to gain that experience. But volunteering is usually a good way to start, and it is very important to get those hours as you will need a recommendation letter from at least one veterinarian, and also it will help you to figure out if this is truly a field you want to go into, as it is very time-consuming and expensive.

I actually have contacted my local zoo for an internship for the summer a few weeks ago. I have yet to get a reply. But it was to my knowledge that I did not have to pay for a master's (in a science field) so long as I teach to get the stipend?? I would like to do a part-time master's and get some experience simultaneously. I can't afford to not get paid, and a master's does this for me. My GPA is 3.14. I only took 2 classes last semester. (an A and a C). I plan on retaking the evolution class I got a C in during this upcoming summer semester.

Hello! Your first step is to get more experience shadowing veterinarians, because you are right, getting more experience in the field is very important. Vet school is a heck of a journey, both in terms of challenge and the debt load you would be taking on -- you need to be absolutely sure you understand the profession and what you would be getting yourself into before deciding to head down that road, take an additional year to get more experience/take pre-reqs, etc.

I would also encourage you to keep your options open and explore other possibilities, too. There are a lot of careers that involve helping animals in some way. There are also a lot of cool careers that involve doing something else entirely.

It's difficult to speculate on why exactly you haven't had much luck landing kennel positions. I would encourage you, though, to start by taking a hard look at your application materials (your resume, etc) and your interviewing skills and address any areas for improvement there. Most schools have some sort of career services department that can help with those things, try looking into that.

Shadowing veterinarians can also be a way to network with local clinics and allow them to get to know you, which can be helpful if they have any kennel, reception, or veterinary assistant positions open up. Obviously this is not guaranteed and you should not go into shadowing opportunities expecting this to happen right away, but it is possible for shadowing to lead to a paid position sometimes.

Not having a car definitely makes all this more difficult. I realize this varies a lot/will depend on where you live, but is there a public transportation system that you could leverage to get to local clinics? What does that situation look like?

Yes, there is public transportation I do utilize, and I also catch rides with my fiancee because he goes to the same university. And it very well could be because my resume sucks. I also haven't had a steady job in a while, and my references aren't great. What other possibilities would there be if I may ask?? Thanks!

I would reach out to clinics that you can access through public transportation and ask about shadowing for a day. Express your interest in gaining experience in the field. Many times, once you build that relationship, they are a lot more likely to consider hiring you and training you on the job.

Internships and masters programs are not necessary. You need a lot more vet hours before you consider applying.

I appreciate your advice. I do have a question regarding what you stated. If I establish a relationship with a vet, would it be best to stay in the area? How do I tell them I am graduating in a year? Would it be a waste of their time to take me on if I decide to pursue leads elsewhere?
Thank you!

So, agree with the above that it's probably due to a lack of hands-on experience with animals that you're not getting these jobs (also, if they know you don't have a car did you state you have another means of transport?). I am not in your predicament financially so my situation is not the same but from what I found was that, freshman year in undergrad, I applied to all of these hospitals in my area for paid positions (over a dozen hospitals) but none took (and I had very good experience going into undergrad). So I realized I was losing out on internship (unpaid) opportunities that were being thrown my way so I could make some money. Granted, I did end up working in a lab and making some living money but my 2 cents is that if you get an opportunity to work for someone to gain unique hands-on experience, do it! If you're okay with waiting until after you graduate to get some experience (i.e. delaying applying) then do that so you can earn some money but, if you're turning down internships for paid positions, it will be a tough road ahead :( Sorry I know it sucks!

No, I have not stated that I do not have a vehicle....as I feel like this is a definite deal breaker. I have not yet pursued an internship, I was mentioning that as a possibility to gain experience after I get my bachelor's. Unfortunately, most animal-related jobs and even internships/volunteer opportunities are in the Chicago area (which is 2 ish hours from where I live). I was considering doing a master's somewhere near that area and getting some experience simultaneously. But I am still somewhat lost as to what to do. :( Anyway, I greatly appreciate your advice, thank you!

I actually have contacted my local zoo for an internship for the summer a few weeks ago. I have yet to get a reply. But it was to my knowledge that I did not have to pay for a master's (in a science field) so long as I teach to get the stipend?? I would like to do a part-time master's and get some experience simultaneously. I can't afford to not get paid, and a master's does this for me. My GPA is 3.14. I only took 2 classes last semester. (an A and a C). I plan on retaking the evolution class I got a C in during this upcoming summer semester.
not all masters will be paid. i believe it's thesis-based research masters that are most likely to pay, but even then it's not guaranteed. most masters programs you do have to pay for, especially if you are looking at PT programs.
i would not go down the masters path assuming that you will receive a stipend.
again, your school should have a pre-professional advisor who you can meet with and discuss these option. i would highly recommend that you find them.

unfortunately, it will be hard (if not near impossible) to find any paid position with little to no animal experience. if you can't afford to volunteer your time (which is understandable, but an unfortunate reality of the field right now), you will likely need to take some time off after graduation and work part time in an unrelated field (waiting tables, cashier at target, whatever) for money while gaining some shadowing experience on the side. after you have a few more contact hours, maybe try reapplying to those kennel tech or vet assistant jobs.
i would also look into veterinary receptionist positions, and would actually recommend them over a Kennel tech position. many schools don't consider kennel techs as veterinary experience, just animal experience, since you are not usually working directly under the vet. i'm not sure if receptionists would fall under vet experience either (check with the schools), but you do actually get more exposure to medical terminology, information, diagnoses, etc in a reception position than in a kennel tech position since you are interfacing with clients and working within patient records (in my experience).

on another note, have you considered how you are going to handle both the academic and financial stresses of vet school? how many semesters have you taken a full course load (at least 4 courses at a time), or have you only been taking 2 classes per semester? there is no option to be a part time vet student, so vet schools will be looking to see that you can handle the rigorous course load of school. i would recommend taking a full course load in your remaining semesters, and doing well in those classes (no Cs).
are you aware of the income-to-debt ratio in the profession? are you prepared to spend between $100-300k in tuition, plus living expenses, plus interest, to make <$100k/year? are you SURE this is what you want to do? this is why those shadowing experiences are crucial. 20 hours will not show you what it is like to be a veterinarian, and before you put yourself in debt for the rest of your life, you need to spend a LOT more time in the field to make sure that it is worth it to you.
look at it this way, volunteering 100-200 hours of your time now (while maybe difficult financially at the moment) could save you from a lifetime a debt if you end ups realizing that it's not actually what you want to do. on the other hand, if you spend that time shadowing and are still passionate about the field, you have gained really valuable experience and have probably gained the necessary skills to get paid for your work.

final thought, when you say that you've contacted your local zoo about an internship, did you apply to an existing internship that they offer, or did you reach out to ask if you could intern? because if you are looking for paid animal experience, i am SURE that you will not get it through a zoo. (this is specific to animal experience, there are sometimes paid zoo positions for education programs, but any animal experience will be STRICTLY volunteer at this point. paid positions pretty much always require that you have 2 years of prior experience at an AZA accredited facility)

Reactions: 1 users
My GPA is 3.14. I only took 2 classes last semester. (an A and a C). I plan on retaking the evolution class I got a C in during this upcoming summer semester.

I'm not sure I'd advise retaking a class just because you got a C in it. Even if you get an A on the second attempt, the difference it will make to your GPA is probably minimal. Plus, some vet schools will count both attempts in your GPA which means that retake will do even less for you than if they actually replace it. If we were talking about a prerequisite class then it might be worth retaking but just a normal science class you got a C in? Probably not worth the time and money you'll spend on a retake.

Speaking as a first generation college student who couldn’t afford any period of time without a paid position, I recommend taking a full load of classes and rock them. Get a research position in a lab (university’s are good about finding undergrad positions where you don’t need experience - at least at mine, & you could get bonus points if it’s a veterinary research lab) or do what I did for a lot of undergrad, serve tables and get unpaid veterinary experience.

Where I’m from, you need lots of vet experience to get the paid position. I know it sucks, but Grebes is right, it is part of this gig. You’ll find a way to make it work for you, but I promise that a lot of people on here have learned the hard way, so take their advice seriously! Good luck! :)

I'm not sure I'd advise retaking a class just because you got a C in it. Even if you get an A on the second attempt, the difference it will make to your GPA is probably minimal. Plus, some vet schools will count both attempts in your GPA which means that retake will do even less for you than if they actually replace it. If we were talking about a prerequisite class then it might be worth retaking but just a normal science class you got a C in? Probably not worth the time and money you'll spend on a retake.

It was an evolution class, so not a pre-req. Thank you for your input because I did not consider this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what's available in your area, but emergency and specialty centers (at least mine) are always looking for help. We also see 20,000+ cases per year (that's a very conservative estimate), so we need a very large volume staff. We hire green assistant's all of the time!
But otherwise I definitely think that shadowing would be a perfect opportunity to get a little experience. See if you can shadow a place on Saturday mornings and take the bus there, if possible. I also would shy away from the masters program; I ended up doing one, but that was because I was more focused on social life than I was in studying in undergrad.

Speaking as a first generation college student who couldn’t afford any period of time without a paid position, I recommend taking a full load of classes and rock them. Get a research position in a lab (university’s are good about finding undergrad positions where you don’t need experience - at least at mine, & you could get bonus points if it’s a veterinary research lab) or do what I did for a lot of undergrad, serve tables and get unpaid veterinary experience.

Where I’m from, you need lots of vet experience to get the paid position. I know it sucks, but Grebes is right, it is part of this gig. You’ll find a way to make it work for you, but I promise that a lot of people on here have learned the hard way, so take their advice seriously! Good luck! :)

What do you consider a full load? I am taking 13 credits atm. and as for research, I did find a greenhouse on campus (ecology lab) I am going to start volunteering in after this spring break. Not my first choice, but anything helps. Also, thank you for your input!

I'm not sure what's available in your area, but emergency and specialty centers (at least mine) are always looking for help. We also see 20,000+ cases per year (that's a very conservative estimate), so we need a very large volume staff. We hire green assistant's all of the time!
But otherwise I definitely think that shadowing would be a perfect opportunity to get a little experience. See if you can shadow a place on Saturday mornings and take the bus there, if possible. I also would shy away from the masters program; I ended up doing one, but that was because I was more focused on social life than I was in studying in undergrad.

What kind of help exactly are those places looking for, and how would I go about approaching those places? Thanks!

What kind of help exactly are those places looking for, and how would I go about approaching those places? Thanks!
I'm sure it varies based on each place, but either an assistant or receptionist. And you could check out their websites and see if they list anything under careers. You could also call them, or do what I did and just send out a resume and CV.

not all masters will be paid. i believe it's thesis-based research masters that are most likely to pay, but even then it's not guaranteed. most masters programs you do have to pay for, especially if you are looking at PT programs.
i would not go down the masters path assuming that you will receive a stipend.
again, your school should have a pre-professional advisor who you can meet with and discuss these option. i would highly recommend that you find them.

unfortunately, it will be hard (if not near impossible) to find any paid position with little to no animal experience. if you can't afford to volunteer your time (which is understandable, but an unfortunate reality of the field right now), you will likely need to take some time off after graduation and work part time in an unrelated field (waiting tables, cashier at target, whatever) for money while gaining some shadowing experience on the side. after you have a few more contact hours, maybe try reapplying to those kennel tech or vet assistant jobs.
i would also look into veterinary receptionist positions, and would actually recommend them over a Kennel tech position. many schools don't consider kennel techs as veterinary experience, just animal experience, since you are not usually working directly under the vet. i'm not sure if receptionists would fall under vet experience either (check with the schools), but you do actually get more exposure to medical terminology, information, diagnoses, etc in a reception position than in a kennel tech position since you are interfacing with clients and working within patient records (in my experience).

on another note, have you considered how you are going to handle both the academic and financial stresses of vet school? how many semesters have you taken a full course load (at least 4 courses at a time), or have you only been taking 2 classes per semester? there is no option to be a part time vet student, so vet schools will be looking to see that you can handle the rigorous course load of school. i would recommend taking a full course load in your remaining semesters, and doing well in those classes (no Cs).
are you aware of the income-to-debt ratio in the profession? are you prepared to spend between $100-300k in tuition, plus living expenses, plus interest, to make <$100k/year? are you SURE this is what you want to do? this is why those shadowing experiences are crucial. 20 hours will not show you what it is like to be a veterinarian, and before you put yourself in debt for the rest of your life, you need to spend a LOT more time in the field to make sure that it is worth it to you.
look at it this way, volunteering 100-200 hours of your time now (while maybe difficult financially at the moment) could save you from a lifetime a debt if you end ups realizing that it's not actually what you want to do. on the other hand, if you spend that time shadowing and are still passionate about the field, you have gained really valuable experience and have probably gained the necessary skills to get paid for your work.

final thought, when you say that you've contacted your local zoo about an internship, did you apply to an existing internship that they offer, or did you reach out to ask if you could intern? because if you are looking for paid animal experience, i am SURE that you will not get it through a zoo. (this is specific to animal experience, there are sometimes paid zoo positions for education programs, but any animal experience will be STRICTLY volunteer at this point. paid positions pretty much always require that you have 2 years of prior experience at an AZA accredited facility)

I have been doing my research on going to vet school for a while. I am aware of everything you said, and none of it should be taken lightly. I guess I can only say as of right now that I THINK I want to go to vet school, but do not have the experience to say for sure. I am struggling just to dip my toes into the water (so to speak). Unfortunately, this is due to my upbringing. I did not have parental guidance, my parents never encouraged me academically, and they themselves only ever went to high school. I have gotten very far compared to them, but I still am weighed down by the choices they chose to make. On another note, I am proud to be a first generation student. I have only actually gone full time for 2 semesters (not consecutive). I will finish out my college career going full time, no less. Also, I contacted the zoo about an existing internship position they have. It is specifically oriented to juniors/seniors, and I can even get college credit out of it.
Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it!!

What do you consider a full load? I am taking 13 credits atm. and as for research, I did find a greenhouse on campus (ecology lab) I am going to start volunteering in after this spring break. Not my first choice, but anything helps. Also, thank you for your input!
If you’re graduating spring 2020 and are full time student that whole time, that should be roughly 45 credit hours. Make sure to kill these last 3 semesters and then do research and apply to ones who put emphasis on last 45 GPA.
That lab would make you unique, and you always want to look unique for vet school applications! Just make sure you don’t stop trying to get more animal/veterinary experience hours. Some schools require more hours than you have right now, and having the bare minimum won’t make you competitive. Keep that in mind, keep trying, and you’ll figure it out! :)

It may heavily depend on your area but I know several things that have helped me get work in the past

1. Service based vet clinics love quirky cover letters. Drama in vet clinics can be a major issue and showing them you are light hearted seems to be an easy way in

2. Apply to positions at doggie daycare. Unfortunately it won't count as vet experience but these positions are much easier to come by and may pay a little better, honestly. It can also be a good way to build a relationship with a vet clinic if you need to bring a dog to get treated.

3. Apply to positions at your school/university. If there is a pre vet club they should send job postings.

• Wow
As of right now, I would focus on finishing your remaining classes strong. Because vet experience you can get anytime after you graduate, but once you get bad grades, those are difficult to bring up even if you retake classes and do a masters. Because from the looks of it your GPA is very risky.

It may heavily depend on your area but I know several things that have helped me get work in the past

1. Service based vet clinics love quirky cover letters. Drama in vet clinics can be a major issue and showing them you are light hearted seems to be an easy way in

2. Apply to positions at doggie daycare. Unfortunately it won't count as vet experience but these positions are much easier to come by and may pay a little better, honestly. It can also be a good way to build a relationship with a vet clinic if you need to bring a dog to get treated.

3. Apply to positions at your school/university. If there is a pre vet club they should send job postings.

Errr...while I agree with you in theory, this could be a landmine. Given a lack of context (it's a written letter, not someone speaking) you can come off as just plain odd - or even worse, unprofessional - rather than "quirky".

It is funny that you mention applying to a doggy daycare. I did actually a few weeks ago. Went into an interview and spoke to someone via the phone shortly after about setting up hours I could work. Then the next day I got an email saying they have moved forward in the application process with someone else. idk??

As of right now, I would focus on finishing your remaining classes strong. Because vet experience you can get anytime after you graduate, but once you get bad grades, those are difficult to bring up even if you retake classes and do a masters. Because from the looks of it your GPA is very risky.

I agree...my GPA can definitely be improved. I was actually taking physics along with the other two classes last fall semester. I was struggling and dropped it about 5 ish weeks into the semester. Unfortunately, I had a hard time recovering my grade in evolution. I studied alot for phsyics and kind of pushed that class to the curb. Thanks for the advice!

It is funny that you mention applying to a doggy daycare. I did actually a few weeks ago. Went into an interview and spoke to someone via the phone shortly after about setting up hours I could work. Then the next day I got an email saying they have moved forward in the application process with someone else. idk??
They still are often times looking for experienced people but the turn over in my experience is pretty high. My first job I had the same response and then less than a month later was told they had hours for me, afterall. The funny thing is the guy who got the job first was there for just a couple months and I was there for nearly 6 years..

So keep applying and if you get responses like that ask them if you can keep your resumé on file

If you’re graduating spring 2020 and are full time student that whole time, that should be roughly 45 credit hours. Make sure to kill these last 3 semesters and then do research and apply to ones who put emphasis on last 45 GPA.
That lab would make you unique, and you always want to look unique for vet school applications! Just make sure you don’t stop trying to get more animal/veterinary experience hours. Some schools require more hours than you have right now, and having the bare minimum won’t make you competitive. Keep that in mind, keep trying, and you’ll figure it out! :)[/QUOT

I am certainly aiming to get more than the minimum. Frankly, I am years from applying right now...just trying to seek advice for how to make the best of my time with my remaining year finishing my Bachelor's...and of course, what the wisest thing to do after I obtain my Bachelor's is.

Errr...while I agree with you in theory, this could be a landmine. Given a lack of context (it's a written letter, not someone speaking) you can come off as just plain odd - or even worse, unprofessional - rather than "quirky".
I think it comes down to being able to write professionally but with that flair. I mentioned it specifically because I got compliments on my creativity from the interviewing clinics.

They still are often times looking for experienced people but the turn over in my experience is pretty high. My first job I had the same response and then less than a month later was told they had hours for me, afterall. The funny thing is the guy who got the job first was there for just a couple months and I was there for nearly 6 years..

So keep applying and if you get responses like that ask them if you can keep your resumé on file
Good advice! thanks!!

I think it comes down to being able to write professionally but with that flair. I mentioned it specifically because I got compliments on my creativity from the interviewing clinics.

I'm with you - I tend to have a creative/friendly/funny flair to my teaching (jokes, memes, etc) and it definitely resonates with people. However, you (not you specifically, the generic "you") can easily, easily overdo it - especially if it does not come naturally to you or you're "trying" too hard. I've seen many, many personal statements where people tried way too hard to be "creative" or "quirky" and it comes off utterly cringeworthy.

If you're early on in your career or schooling, always have someone in a higher position read your cover letter or statement. Not just your friends, not just your parents, etc - someone who has experience employing people and who has read letters like this before.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree...my GPA can definitely be improved. I was actually taking physics along with the other two classes last fall semester. I was struggling and dropped it about 5 ish weeks into the semester. Unfortunately, I had a hard time recovering my grade in evolution. I studied alot for phsyics and kind of pushed that class to the curb. Thanks for the advice!

ALOT.png

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

I'm with you - I tend to have a creative/friendly/funny flair to my teaching (jokes, memes, etc) and it definitely resonates with people. However, you (not you specifically, the generic "you") can easily, easily overdo it - especially if it does not come naturally to you or you're "trying" too hard. I've seen many, many personal statements where people tried way too hard to be "creative" or "quirky" and it comes off utterly cringeworthy.

If you're early on in your career or schooling, always have someone in a higher position read your cover letter or statement. Not just your friends, not just your parents, etc - someone who has experience employing people and who has read letters like this before.
great advice

I know someone mentioned it above, but maybe keep applying to doggy daycares in addition to vet clinics. Many of the assistants and techs at the shelter where I worked started out at doggy day cares and then were able to make a lateral move into an assistant position once they had more animal experience.

For now, only focus now on rocking your grades. Full time status is 12-16 hours for an undergrad, and many students try to mix in easier classes with more time intensive / harder ones to ease their load.

Vet school is 20-22 credits and basically all of them would be considered a harder / more time intensive class by undergrad standards. So, in the realm of taking 5-6 hard classes simultaneously. (Not exactly equivalent, but it gives you an idea.)

Back to getting experience, the biggest thing our Operations Manager looked for when hiring was honestly open availability. You may be striking out right now because you are a student and can't work the shifts they want or be super flexible with your schedule. It may be more about timing right now than your previous experience.

The avg accepted vet school applicant has ~1000 hours of vet experience. Six months of full time work is ~1,000 hours.

Once you are done with classes, it is very easy to increase your experience hours if you are working in a clinic full time. In contrast it is very hard to salvage a sub-average GPA.