First II after 9 Rs, how to answer if they ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1077538

Hi guys, I've recently received an II from a school that I have a guaranteed interview with due to its association with my grad program. While it may be a "courtesy interview", I still plan to bring my A game nonetheless as it is my first choice school.

I have a deep concern in regards to a question that I may be asked. I've received 9 rejections already from other schools with no other IIs and don't know how I should answer if the interviewer asks me about how my app cycle is going. How do I answer without sounding pathetic or less-than without lying?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's likely you'll get asked that question, but if you do, I personally consider it a 'small-talk' question that can be answered briefly. It's like someone asking "how are you", and most people just say fine/good, even if they're not.

You can say something along the lines of: "It's going alright. It's been stressful, but it's a stressful process for everyone." So this can show that you honestly haven't had the easiest time, but also highlights maturity and empathy.

Reactions: 2 users
"This is my first interview. I'm nervous but excited."

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they are allowed to ask that question, but if they do, the answer suggested above is good. In addition, you can say "This is very atypical admissions cycle due to COVID pandemic and I am so glad to have received II from this school because this is my top choice". You are hitting two birds with this one stone.

Reactions: 1 user
Just say it’s going well :) never paint yourself in a bad light

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, I've recently received an II from a school that I have a guaranteed interview with due to its association with my grad program. While it may be a "courtesy interview", I still plan to bring my A game nonetheless as it is my first choice school.

I have a deep concern in regards to a question that I may be asked. I've received 9 rejections already from other schools with no other IIs and don't know how I should answer if the interviewer asks me about how my app cycle is going. How do I answer without sounding pathetic or less-than without lying?
We're not allowed to ask questions like that.

But if you do get somebody who does ask the question, just tell the truth.

Most applicants do not get interviews. And most people get interviews, get only one

They can ask anything they want. Whether they should or not, is an entirely separate ethical question. As aside to this, anything you mention in your application is also fair game, make sure you are ready to talk about it, particularly if you have written about personal challenges that are difficult to discuss
This is exactly what I was thinking. I've seen many posts about less-than-normal interviews with borderline to completely inappropriate questions being asked, and I did not know how to prepare myself if I get one of those "stress interviews". I feel that my chances of getting grilled are high, as I am a nontraditional student with many blemishes on my transcript during my blunder years. Thank you for your reply!

We're not allowed to ask questions like that.

But if you do get somebody who does ask the question, just tell the truth.

Most applicants do not get interviews. And most people get interviews, get only one
I was about to PM you about this, but then I read your signature haha. I'm super glad you've replied! Thank you, this is very reassuring.

Yes, I agree with the above posters; honesty is the best policy here. I've only had 1 interview so far. The faculty asked me how my cycle was and even what schools that I'm applying for. So I told him that my cycle has been going okay and a brief list of the schools I applied to. I submitted my apps in a timely manner, but have not heard back from various schools. Some schools have placed me on waiting lists. But in meantime, I continued with my activities to become a better candidate. This is my only interview thus far and it is at your school; one I'd love to attend, so will cherish this opportunity". 4 weeks later, I got accepted.

I think if you lie, it may come across as you being unnatural. So, if you just phrase the honest truth well, it will come across as sincere. Being honorable is something valued among physicians, so why not show it through giving genuine and honest answers?