First interview! Wasn't nervous until....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldfish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dang it! I just got my first interview appointment which is on this wednesday and i wasn't too nervous about it until my mom started telling me how to act and what to say all day long. It started me thinking about all the things that could go wrong. :eek:

Gaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any tips on staying cool?

Members don't see this ad.

KNOW YOUR $HIT.

Know your grades, your PS, your EC's everything. Think about the holes in your app and be able to answer questions about them. Generally, have everything covered so that no questions will surprise you.

Then realize that the above is impossible, and that you will get blindsided atleast once. When this happens take a deep breath and think on your feet. You will be fine.

Try not to think too much about little things like where to keep your hands when you talk, and by all means don't try too hard to read your interviewers' reactions during the interview. Think about that stuff later. No need to get rattled while you're in the room.

congrats gold! where is it at?

Members don't see this ad :)
interviews really aren't bad - they are as nerve racking an experience as you want them to be. you are just talking about your life - you've been there, so it shouldn't be a problem. after 73 individual interviews and a 14 person panel interview, only one person has been edgy with me. i have never gotten the prototypical ethical question. i have never gotten a question about healthcare in my med interviews (not at all implying that you won't as well) i've actually had a great time doing them and going to them - meeting faculty, docs, students and interviewees with interesting backgrounds. i honestly think that people, like mans best friend, can smell fear -- and it is essential to be confident (without being cocky - though i've seen it work for others) rather than obsequious. don't be worried by nitpicky things. contrary to popular belief, they want you to suceed - and its up to you to come across as a normal compassionate person. best of luck - you'll rock it.

-jot

in light of jot's personal accomplishment (73 individ interivews and the 14 person panel one), I think it's time to resurrect his fan club. one second, please...

excellent advice from jot. for my first interview i was extremely nervous too, but it has been (surprisingly) a very relaxed process. just to help prepare you though, the only "tricky" questions i have received have been about the state of medicine today (expenses and managed care) and what i would do to fix it. i've heard it from several interviewers and i don't think they are expecting a certain answer but its a good idea to think of how you might answer. best of luck, just be yourself and you'll do fine.

:laugh: jot..I knew you would love that...

I have my first interview this Wed also! Where are you interviewing Goldfish? I'm so nervous... I've been reading up on the school and reviewing my AMCAS and secondary app., hopefully that is enough preparation. Good luck to you!

Biggest piece of advice? Do NOT try and read into anything your interviewer says and/or does. I got rejected from my absolute best interview ever and have been accepted at some that felt completely mediocore. These guys are experts, esp the older ones, so don't try beat them at their own game.

Just relax. If you're a cool person. :cool: , it will come through. If you want to be a doctor, it will come through. You can't change yourself, so just be yourself. Go in there with CONFIDENCE because you wouldn't be interviewing if they didn't like you. Don't let other interviewees freak you out. Most people I've met have been very friendly, but some have been jerks. If someone is a jerk, take pride in ignoring them and know that you're above that. Just relax.....

dont worry all mums are like that, my mum will be coming to any of my interviews, and she will also answer all my questions

:rolleyes:

doont worry she only wants the best for u, i am sure she is freaking out more than u are ;) take a deep breath and just remember that adcoms are just people, some of them... mums!:eek:

my mom is like that as well. it used to make me terribly self-conscious, and i always felt that i was going to say/do the wrong thing. as you get older you will learn to better filter her comments :) just make eye contact, smile, and most importantly be yourself!!! good luck. i too am starting to get nervous for my first interview!

don't underestimate the power of eye contact and a solid handshake. no wet noodles or vice grips either...also, maybe it is from my days as a competitive athlete but music still has a great power to get you geared up and relax you!

i know that eminem is controversial but i love the song from 8 mile - lose yourself...works for me.