First MCAT: 30M; 3.8 GPA from a top 20 school, Junior, Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gutcheckmcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
10 char.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats look great. If you think you can bring up your score why not

Retake only if you don't like Texas. You are almost guaranteed an acceptance in Texas. Can you guarantee a higher MCAT score? 30 isn't terrible high, so there's room for improvement. Still, if you don't put work into it, your score won't magically go up. Your EC's are all balanced, so not much more work there could be done... so yes it does come down to MCAT, interviewing, and LOR's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys so I finally got my MCAT score back. It is a 30M. I have a 3.8 Gpa at a top 20 school. I am an Economics Major.

PS: 10
V: 10
BS: 10
WS: M
Total: 30 M

These are going to be my ECs at the end of my Junior year when I apply to Medical Schools.

**1. 1 year of research at the CDC in health economics
2. 1 year of research in a bio lab at my school,
3. 1 summer of research at a medical school in Texas
4. 500 hours of working in a doctor's office where I took blood pressure, pulse, medical histories, and helped out with medical billing,
5. President of a club on campus
6. 50 hours of volunteering at a hospital
7. 250 hours of shadowing
8. Member of some clubs on campus (a couple of honor societies, etc)
9. Played a couple of intramural sports
10. Worked at a couple of health fairs for the homeless.

** = Ec's that I am just starting on this year, but I will have this EC for the entire year this year.

My dream schools are Emory/UT-SW/Baylor/Mt. Sinai/Brown/Dartmouth. I am a Texas resident. I have plenty of time to retake the MCAT since I am just a junior. Should I retake for these schools? I think I am fine for most in-state medical schools in Texas.
Your score is nicely balanced, your GPA is excellent, and your ECs are meaty, giving you a high chance of an acceptance somewhere. But if you are ambitious and won't be happy if you don't try for the best possible odds for a shot at a more selective med school, a retake is a good idea.