WAMC / Retake MCAT? / 3.85/508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoringbeaches

Reaction score
  1. cGPA - 3.85, sGPA - 3.76
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown - 508 (128/124/126/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) - FL resident, ties to DC area/northern VA/ and Texas
  4. Ethnicity and/or race- ORM, White (Middle-Eastern)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category - T10 public university, Psychology major
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Clinic Coordinator @ free community clinic. I take vitals, manage clinic flow and patient records, aid patients in filling out healthcare forms - 400 hr

Hospital volunteer - 200 hr

1. Research experience and productivity
Study on pain management using VR (clinical). I recruit patients to participate in the study before their outpatient procedure - 140 hr
Neuro Lab literature review (non-clinical). Self-paced study, chose my own topic relating to sleep and Intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH) - 250 hr
Starting a new RA position in a center with neurodegenerative diseases (clinical, interacting with patients) - hours TBD
1 publication in oncology - 100 hr

1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Critical care/ pulmonology - 50 hr

Pediatric GI - 25 hr

1. Non-clinical volunteering
Chair position in community organization that combats houselessness (I run clothing drives, coordinating volunteers to make hygiene kits, etc) - 250 hr

Arabic Tutor, helping refugees learn English - 150 hr

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
President of cultural organization on campus - 250 hr
Chemistry Teaching Assistant - 100 hr
Lead Math Instructor at tutoring center (paid job) - 200 hr

1. Relevant honors or awards - Nothing to write home about - Dean's List recognition, and I am applying to a service award through my university.
LOR - 2 science, 1 non-science, 2 MD letters

I plan to apply broadly to MD and DO, but would prefer an in-state MD acceptance. I am taking a gap year and plan to up my clinical hours. I was also wondering if there is anything specific I should focus on during my time off (for ex - need more clinical hours, etc).
I am wondering if I should retake the MCAT, I scored around my practice test scores except significantly lower in CARS. I worry that I won't improve enough or might drop in score since I have been away from studying for a while. I plan on applying to all FL MD schools, need help with an OOS school list as well as DO schools. Should I retake the MCAT, or focus on increasing my hours in categories where it may be lacking? Do I have a shot at getting in somewhere, realistically?

Members don't see this ad.

You should consider DO programs.

Anticipating leveraging your leadership role, look up the schools featured, including the DO programs.

You should consider DO programs.

Anticipating leveraging your leadership role, look up the schools featured, including the DO programs.

Is MD a long-shot for in-state?

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats and could receive MD interviews. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
Belmont
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Roseman, Methodist University)
For DO schools I suggest these:
NOVA
LECOM-Bradenton and Jacksonville
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WVSOM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
If you retake the MCAT you would need to score 512+ to make a difference since many schools average scores. CARS is the most difficult section to increase.