first night on call for Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NebelDO

future surgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally reached my hospital surgery month.Last night was my first night on call with the team. The whole day was so much fun! I think that I finally went to sleep at 345 only to get up at 500 to pre round but it was a blast. I was involved in 3 code blues doing chest compressions and eariler in the day got to scrub in on my first whipple procedure(actually it was a total pancreatectomy,splenectomy,duodendectomy, antrectomy with only 2 anastomosis) the anatomy was amazing!!Granted i only got to do what the student classically does but i didnt care.I was exicted about seeing the case. Ive wanted to be a surgeon for awhile now, but after last night i definitely IM VERY EXICTED about going into surgery!!!
Just wanted to share my joy.

If anyone else wants to post their 1st day on experience, please do so.

Members don't see this ad.

you sound like me on my first night of surgery call. the cool thing is, 10 months later, im still just as excited about it. :) good to see im not the only one like this about surgery out there.

NebelDO said:
IM VERY EXICTED about going into surgery!!!
Just wanted to share my joy.

If anyone else wants to post their 1st day on experience, please do so.

Cool... during my first nite on call I just wondered when in the hell was I going to get off of my feet and get some shut eye. I also wondered the same thing on my 2nd nite on call and my 3rd..come to think about it, I thought about it on my 4th also. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I ever thought about during my surgery rotation was how much I wanted to kill myself.

sacrament said:
The only thing I ever thought about during my surgery rotation was how much I wanted to kill myself.

I couldn't agree more! never disliked anything as much as surgery, but to each his own. Second only to OB.....yuck.

later

12R34Y said:
I couldn't agree more! never disliked anything as much as surgery, but to each his own. Second only to OB.....yuck.

later

I thought of OB/Gyn as retribution for every sin I've ever committed in my lifetime, and by the end of the 6 weeks I was a cleansed man.

In fact, that was about the only purpose that clerkship served. What torture..

Surgery was a great clerkship..........for me to poop on!

I think the students at AUC have to do 3 months of surgery. Whew! The actual readings were great and interesting but by the time I reached my 3rd hernia repair, I knew surgery wasn't for me.

TruTrooper said:
Surgery was a great clerkship..........for me to poop on!

I think the students at AUC have to do 3 months of surgery. Whew! The actual readings were great and interesting but by the time I reached my 3rd hernia repair, I knew surgery wasn't for me.

Every procedure is interesting exactly once. For me, even the supposedly "cool" procedures like the Whipple got incredibly tedious. I came into medical school thinking I wanted to be a surgeon, but the interminable hours in the OR doing the same things over and over again definitely threw a wrench in the works. (Of course, there is dire monotomy in every field of medicine. I guess I need to pick something where no particular stretch of monotomy lasts for hours and hours.)

Ah, the first signs of surgery addiction. You'll be a G Surg resident in no time. :)

Stinger86 said:
I thought of OB/Gyn as retribution for every sin I've ever committed in my lifetime, and by the end of the 6 weeks I was a cleansed man.

you cant really compare OBGYN to surgery. first of all, GYN surgeries are just plain not as interesting. you can only see so many hysteroscopies and D&Cs before you realize that youd rather slit your wrists. the hysterectomy is pretty uninteresting as well. but a big part of it for me was i had just come off surgery and watching OBGYNs operate was like watching the butcher down the street hack away at a chunk of meat.

sacrament said:
Every procedure is interesting exactly once. For me, even the supposedly "cool" procedures like the Whipple got incredibly tedious. I came into medical school thinking I wanted to be a surgeon, but the interminable hours in the OR doing the same things over and over again definitely threw a wrench in the works. (Of course, there is dire monotomy in every field of medicine. I guess I need to pick something where no particular stretch of monotomy lasts for hours and hours.)
have you done psychiatry yet? every day is something new! youd make a good psychiatrist, sac. :)

yeah as in the same patients you saw the day before have something totally new and interesting to halucinate/confabulate/misconstrue the next day ;)

(Actually really really liked my psych rotation, and worked hard)

12R34Y said:

later

i've never actually performed a surgery but when i get there i bet it would great though could you tell me more about it

bgatewood16 said:
i've never actually performed a surgery but when i get there i bet it would great though could you tell me more about it

:confused: :confused: :confused:

bgatewood16 said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Every surgical case is fun the first time, and then it gets to where it's only fun at the start and at the end. Then it degrades to it's only fun at the end. Then you shoot yourself or start on zoloft.

50mg sertraline hcl....now.

JudoKing01 said:
Every surgical case is fun the first time, and then it gets to where it's only fun at the start and at the end. Then it degrades to it's only fun at the end. Then you shoot yourself or start on zoloft.

50mg sertraline hcl....now.

See, I think the only fun part of any surgical procedure is the beginning. Cutting people open is always fun. The last part of any case (i.e. closing) is mind-numbingly dull. I've struggled a long time with the impulse to be a surgeon, because I like the idea of hands-on, definitive work... but I just can't imagine spending like 25% of my professional life sewing holes shut.

sacrament said:
but I just can't imagine spending like 25% of my professional life sewing holes shut.

you seem to have a lot of issues with anything relating to a hole these days.

It is indeed all about the hole, isn't it?
:p

Stinger86 said:

that was one of the most insightful things i've heard. so, after ob'gyn and surgery, does that mean i'm guaranteed a spot in heaven? by the time i'm done with surg, i think i may have even banked some repentence points...