First page CAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dropshotdragon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are graduating in 2010 and starting ophthalmology residency in 2011, what are you all listing as the year on the 1st page of the CAS application for the "year I will be able to start training for this residency" ?

I talked to SF Match people and they said put 2010, but I thought we would start training for "this" (ie ophtho) residency in 2011. I thought there was the possibility the SF Match telephone lady had it mixed up.

What have you guys been doing?

Members don't see this ad.

She also said the reason why is if you put 2011, then they will think you are from next year's (ie. future) applicants and programs will think you are applying too early, thus giving them the option of chunking your application. I was thinking in my head, why would someone apply in 2009 for the 2011 match?!

anyone? pleeeease:) i really wanted to turn my app in by today and get it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
31 views and still no one? someone must have filled out the 1st page of CAS by now:)

I'm applying this year, so I'm in the same boat as you. I put down 2010 initially, but 2011 makes sense, especially because they ask when you're ready to start "this residency" program.

Given the ambivalence here, I'm thinking of just typing "2011 (PGY2)" into the text box.

well 1st I put 2011 ,,,but you are saying that they told you to put 2010 ,,,,,hmmmm so maybe I'll do as they said although 2011 makes more sense,,,,still I am not sure

I ended up submitting it as 2011-PGY2 to have myself covered. Hope this helps you all.

The SFMATCH staff are clueless. No one would "think you are applying early" That is just stupid. Kind of makes you wonder about the accuracy of the match when someone says that.