First post- what am I looking @?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishpint

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior at the University of Puget Sound. My overall gpa is 3.2 and my science is 2.9. My scores are 18/17/17 AA/GC/PAT. I have a variety of ec actvities (biology honor society, guitar performances through the school of music, high school tutor, etc.) and lots of shadowing experience (150+ hours at 3 different clinics). I also studied abroad for a year. Oh, and I'm a biology major and chemistry minor.

Thus far I have interviewed at Minnesota and have a Temple interview scheduled. I got bad news from Case, Marq and AZ thus far and have my apps in at BU, NYU, Tufts, Pitt, Creighton, and Detroit and I guess I'm just under review there.

What would you do if you were me and did not get in this year? I'm doing some research during the second semester of this year here at school. I guess my GPA is low but OK it seems had I done better on my DAT. I guess my plan will be to study for a solid month or 2 over the summer, while working with some dentists and try to score better and reapply. What else can I do to boost my GPA at this point? Or is it something I should just forget about?

Thanks
IP

Members don't see this ad.

Gpa's are hard to change once you are so far into school. You're right when you said that your GPA would look a lot better had you done better on the DAT. I also got an 18 on my dat and have had 6 interviews. But my DAT was 18/19/22. And 18 looks better when the other pieces are higher than it, in my opinion. So retaking your DAT is your strongest path to take that will affect your chances the most. Then I would say that applying early while getting very good essays written and letters of recommendation go a long way. I would also like to stress that getting your secondaries in as fast as you can is just as important as submitting your aadsas application early. The rest of your application sounds great. Good luck.

If you don't get in this year, you could do a post-bac program. But since your new grades won't come in on time, you'd probably have to reapply 2 years from now, not next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
irishpint said:
I'm a senior at the University of Puget Sound. My overall gpa is 3.2 and my science is 2.9. My scores are 18/17/17 AA/GC/PAT. I have a variety of ec actvities (biology honor society, guitar performances through the school of music, high school tutor, etc.) and lots of shadowing experience (150+ hours at 3 different clinics). I also studied abroad for a year. Oh, and I'm a biology major and chemistry minor.

Thus far I have interviewed at Minnesota and have a Temple interview scheduled. I got bad news from Case, Marq and AZ thus far and have my apps in at BU, NYU, Tufts, Pitt, Creighton, and Detroit and I guess I'm just under review there.

What would you do if you were me and did not get in this year? I'm doing some research during the second semester of this year here at school. I guess my GPA is low but OK it seems had I done better on my DAT. I guess my plan will be to study for a solid month or 2 over the summer, while working with some dentists and try to score better and reapply. What else can I do to boost my GPA at this point? Or is it something I should just forget about?

Thanks
IP

if you apply to the right schools who emphasise dat more than gpa, you could get in. but that means you'll have to retake the dat and score 20+ across the board to even be considered. i'd rather put all my efforts into doing well on the dat than to do a post-bac

If you don't get in this cycle, just call the director of admissions at every school you are interested in, and simply ask them what you need to do. Then, DO WHATEVER THEY SAY!!! Also, keep in contact with them throughout the spring and summer, let them know how/what you are doing, and make it apparent you are doing everything you can to get an acceptance letter next December. Motivation and determination will work, as it sometimes will overshadow borderline numbers. :thumbup:

First: Don't loose hope.
Second: I might retake the DAT
Third: Read my Tips for getting in with sub 3.0... Ron (and others) have been posting good stuff there.

-C

SuperC said:
First: Don't loose hope.
Second: I might retake the DAT
Third: Read my Tips for getting in with sub 3.0... Ron (and others) have been posting good stuff there.

-C

im trying not to lose hope. i really dont understand the whole process. i look on here and see everyone has better stats than me yet somehow i have 2 interviews. And I see people rejected from Temple who could kick my butt and I get an interview. Weird. I am trying to stay positive. I am really curious about nYU...everything I've read says their averages are like 3.1 overall, 2.9 science and 17 on the DAT and even I have those beat. C'mon and let me in!

I dont think I can retake the dat this late in the game since i've already been rejected by some and am way out of practice for it. But next summer I am going to spent June+July and then take it (that way I can take it again in October if I need to...).

I read your thing w/ the sub 3 gpa and if my DAT was better I know I would be in better shape. Honestly I didn't even know people got scores as high as some of you- almost all the school averages arelike 18-19 so I thought I was in good shape. Wrong!

Kyle

irishpint said:
im trying not to lose hope. i really dont understand the whole process. i look on here and see everyone has better stats than me yet somehow i have 2 interviews. And I see people rejected from Temple who could kick my butt and I get an interview. Weird. I am trying to stay positive. I am really curious about nYU...everything I've read says their averages are like 3.1 overall, 2.9 science and 17 on the DAT and even I have those beat. C'mon and let me in!

I dont think I can retake the dat this late in the game since i've already been rejected by some and am way out of practice for it. But next summer I am going to spent June+July and then take it (that way I can take it again in October if I need to...).

I read your thing w/ the sub 3 gpa and if my DAT was better I know I would be in better shape. Honestly I didn't even know people got scores as high as some of you- almost all the school averages arelike 18-19 so I thought I was in good shape. Wrong!

Kyle

You sound just like me last year, when I relized that I might not get in. It was confusing to see the averages for dental schools be lower than myself and yet I still got no love. But I have it all figured out now.....just do the best that you can and beat the crap out of the majority of the other applicants. Don't aim for the statistical middle.....those stats don't really apply to you so don't take them seriously.

Take Kaplan online and beat the snot out of the DAT and you will be in a lot better shape by next cycle. Also be yourself when you interview, unless you are a horrible person.

I would also consider laying off the observation hours. You already have plenty and increasing that number by any significant amount will not be the golden egg you seek. Spend the time you would be observing, study for the DAT. Focus on your weaknesses not your stregths at this point. Good luck!

Hey all. I really don't want to be the party pooper here but sometimes things need to be said. Sometimes those people who tell you "keep applying, don't give up" are wrong. I am applying to dental school for the 3rd straight yr!!! I have a BS from University of Michigan in Movement Science, and I am finishing up a masters in medical sciences at Wayne State's Medical school. My gpa is a 3.15 overall, and a 2.9 science. My DAT scores were AA-18, PAT-19, SC-19, RC-21. My father is a dentist who works at a dental school. My letters are rediculous (I have 9 total know from teachers, work, dentists, and dental faculty). SO far this yr, I have had 1 interview at Unv of Michigan, and I have been waitlisted last yr at NOVA and 2 yrs ago at Michigan, and presently have no more interviews or acceptances in my hand. WHAT THE ****??? I dont mean to depress anyone with my statements but if anyone knows what the deal is with dental school today, please lemme know. Basically I am trying to show admissions committees that I am serious about dental school by continuing my science education, but they dont really care (They have told me this on the phone, "that its good BUT undergraduate is looked at more". Or they tell me that graduate courses I take, such as toxicology, pharmacology, systemic path, and biochem etc, are easy...esp when there are MDs and DDSs in the class with you)??? I dont get it??? ANYWHO, if anyones in my boat, lemme know your status, cause mine is sinking.

irishpint said:

Thanks
IP

jhamer5 said:
Hey all. I really don't want to be the party pooper here but sometimes things need to be said. Sometimes those people who tell you "keep applying, don't give up" are wrong. I am applying to dental school for the 3rd straight yr!!! I have a BS from University of Michigan in Movement Science, and I am finishing up a masters in medical sciences at Wayne State's Medical school. My gpa is a 3.15 overall, and a 2.9 science. My DAT scores were AA-18, PAT-19, SC-19, RC-21. My father is a dentist who works at a dental school. My letters are rediculous (I have 9 total know from teachers, work, dentists, and dental faculty). SO far this yr, I have had 1 interview at Unv of Michigan, and I have been waitlisted last yr at NOVA and 2 yrs ago at Michigan, and presently have no more interviews or acceptances in my hand. WHAT THE ****??? I dont mean to depress anyone with my statements but if anyone knows what the deal is with dental school today, please lemme know. Basically I am trying to show admissions committees that I am serious about dental school by continuing my science education, but they dont really care (They have told me this on the phone, "that its good BUT undergraduate is looked at more". Or they tell me that graduate courses I take, such as toxicology, pharmacology, systemic path, and biochem etc, are easy...esp when there are MDs and DDSs in the class with you)??? I dont get it??? ANYWHO, if anyones in my boat, lemme know your status, cause mine is sinking.

I hope that I'm not going to end up like you.....I'm a second year applicant. If I don't get in this year then I'm going to take more classes (my GPA is my weak point). If adcoms told me what they've told you then I would be outraged. I'm going to apply to Puerto Rico for a safety next year......they would be lucky to have me :laugh: .

jhamer5 said:

Be pissed off all you want! Obviously you just don't get it. With a 3.1 GPA, an 18 just doesn't cut it, unless you just get lucky. Letters don't mean jack, either does a masters degree. 80 to 90 % of your application is you DAT and your undergrad GPA. And they aren't good. So quit being bitter and go and study for the DAT and get a 19 or 20 on the AA, otherwise go to podiatry school or something like that. If you really want it that bad a 20 is not that hard. You just need to put in huge amounts of time

irishpint said:
I'm a senior at the University of Puget Sound....

haha I thought this was the opener for some joke.... that's the actual name of your school??!!?!