first time aug mcaters applying now!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i'm bored and thought i'd start a thread. i'm curious to see how many of us there are out there and how everything's going. i'm applying to approx 25 schools, have completed all but 2 secondaries i've received (eek! i've been sitting on these for weeks now), and am waiting on about 8 schools to give me a secondary or reject me. it would be great to know when people start getting interviews and/or secondaries from schools that screen using mcat scores!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry..this is exactly not related..

According to my calculation, I will probably take MCAT in August (of 2004 hopefully). I have heard and read that its better to take April MCAT. Why is that?

Also, how did you choose 25 schools? As I understand, state schools outside your own state will have much much lower preference for out-of-state student. So..did you mainly choose private schools in other states?

Thanks and best wishes.
Shahab

it is better to take the april mcat for the year you are applying than the august mcat for that year, because most schools have rolling admissions. that means that those who take the august mcat will be at a disadvantage, because their scores come out after people with april mcat scores start interviewing. the august mcat won't hurt if you take it the year before you are applying.

it's easy to find 25 schools! the majority of private schools don't favor people from their state, and there are probably like 30 private schools or something. as a california resident, it is wise to apply to many schools, because uc's accept only 1 in 8 california residents and average mcat/gpa is something like 31-34/3.6-3.7. some state schools accept a fair amount of out of state applicants e.g. uva, vermont, michigan, etc... you will need to research each school to find out which ones are feasible to apply to.

p.s. next time create a new thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
1st time applying/attempting to "steal" med school slot from an American(!)
1st time MCAT August 2002
applied 20 or so schools (I don't even remember now....)
14 secondaries received
12 filled out - no plans to fill out the other two
1 rejection
no interviews
reading SDN obsessively

There is however a benefit to taking the August MCAT. If you don't take summer classes you can study for THREE months without having to worry about any other classes. That can be be a big plus.

I would also urge people who apply to think about the number of schools they are applying to. Lola applied to 25 schools. That is expensive and then you add the cost of the secondaries and interviews, etc...

People who applied to a lot of schools last year seemed to withdraw their applications from a lot of them. Many of the SDNer's didn't even go to the interviews they were given. This was after paying the schools money for their 2ndaries. So really try and apply to the schools you will seriously consider going to.

A lot of people think if their stats are low then should apply to 30 schools to give them a better chance of acceptance. I have noted in the years I have been a pre-med that this isn't what happens. They end up getting lots and lots and lots of rejections. If your stats aren't good enough for 15 schools, why do you think they are good enough for 30 schools.

I'm sure people will disagree with me, but I am only reporting what I have seen in the last 4 years.

I'm not saying lola's stats aren't good, but this post made me think of last year's posters and all the schools they applied to and then withdrew.

well, if you take the august mcat and apply that year you have no idea how competitive you are! my application is very competitive other than my mcat scores which i just found out. it's a good thing i did not only apply to very competitive schools! i can now basically count out the uc's (-5), stanford (-1), harvard (-1), and yale (-1). however, if i'd peformed as i should have on the mcat i would be very competitive at these schools. so basically, i'm only applying to 17 schools with no state safety school. that is not really too many at all.

this is a pathetic response. come on folks! there must be more of us out there. anyone hearing from schools? anyone's online status checks updated for august mcat?
on a positive note, i have now completed all secondaries i've received. woo hoo!

Originally posted by lola
on a positive note, i have now completed all secondaries i've received. woo hoo!

You go, girl! :clap:

I agree with Amy about the benefits of taking the August MCAT. But I disagree about the number of schools to apply to. I think it's wise to apply to LOTS of schools. Had I cut my list of schools from 23 to 15, I might very well have eliminated all the shools I got acceptances from. It is expensive, but it's nothing compared to the cost of reapplying and medschool itself. In chossing state schools to apply to, I checked the MSAR and only applied to those which accepted a significant number of out-of-staters.

The August MCAT should be the only MCAT schools will receive (it does not appear they will be getting my 1994 MCAT)

Submitted AMCAS August 26, was not verified until September 30.

Originally put 15 schools on my AMCAS, but I added two after I got my MCAT scores.

I have sent in 11 secondaries (all that I have received so far).

Unfortunately, my composite letter is not finished yet, but it should be finished and sent off to all of the 11 schools mentioned above by the end of the week.

Still waiting on six secondaries, and for the letters to get to schools so my files will be complete.

My files will not be complete as early as I originally hoped (it took six weeks for one of my letter writers to finally get the letter to my pre-med advisor), but it could be worse. I think most of my applications should be complete by the end of the month.

I'm a first-time August MCATer too. Sent in 15 secondaries, waiting to hear on whether I'll get another 3 of them (I'm also procrasinating on sending another five or so). Good luck to all of us!!

Originally posted by tedstriker
I'm also procrasinating on sending another five or so.

STOP PROCRASTINATING!!! You're only hurting yourself. Get going!! :p

Originally posted by SMW

that's right! you will feel so much better when you finish them :)

Originally posted by SMW

Yer right...

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh! has anyone gotten interviews? if so, from where?
anyone hearing anything about secondaries besides from stanford?
i'm still waiting on loyola, wake forest, stanford and 4 uc's for secondaries.

Most schools started receiving the recent MCAT scores starting early last week, and one school I called today to receive a status check from actually started receiving the MCAT scores today. So many of these schools probably have yet to review your file with your MCAT score, some may not even have it yet. Patience is virtue my friend.:)

August MCAT'er and applying to 13 schools (3 DO). Finished all secondaries weeks to months ago, but have yet to hear from three schools. I'm just taking it day by day and hoping for interviews.

hey, I am a first time august mcat'er and have gotten an interview at u. cincinnati. this is the only one I have heard from. Anyone else out there have interviews?

august mcat...just got my third interview invite...

so far

NYMC
USUHS
and
University of Hawaii

but all at the lower end of my priorities list...hmm...still waiting!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

hello everybody, its my first time on the board!
I have sent my secondaries within the last week and a half and i got my first interview today at U.TX Houston. i also got my first rejection letter the other day from Wisconsin..oh well i dont' know why applied anyways since i'm not from there and they only send secondaries to "highly qualified nonresidents). i applied to about 25 schools so hopefully, i'll get some invites.

I'm an August MCATer...but I just submitted my AMCAS on 9/22 and just received my secondaries recently. I have six of nine so far plus my Columbia app to do. I've been so busy, so I'm going to hop on that later this week!

Good luck!

I'll join since i'm an august mcater for first time.........

25 schools before mcat, added 8 after and now decided to send secondarys to only 20 of the schools.............including the 8 i added later............just got my lors sent, so haven't heard anything.............hoping jan or feb..

nero

I think we should have our own interview thread so we know what dates the earliest interviews are coming in for August MCATers. Now, it's my second time taking the MCAT, but all of the schools cept one have been waiting for them. I think they just received them cuz I just got a UIC interview invite today. :) The other school I got an interview at said that they go by the first score to interview, 2nd score for acceptance or something like that (UTMB).

Good luck!

U Mich requested an interview today :)

Congratulations to all of you guys with interviews. I just had a couple of questions for a couple of you with interviews:

johnstoner, can you post your stats? gpa/mcat and when your amcas was submitted and certified

TXPHIOTA, when did you submit your TMDSAS? and what were your stats: gpa, mcat, and when did you get your invitation

Thanks!

just got uc irvine and ucsd secondaries :D

hey lola,
i'm in the same boat. i check SDN everyday to try and find out if anyone taking the august MCAT for the first time and applying now has been asked to interview yet! i sent AMCAS in early in july and i'm still sitting on two secondaries, my other 16 are in though with my LOR committee letter. i'm still waiting for Wake Forest's secondary too, but i figure once we start getting those hold out secondaries as they get a chance to look at our files, the interview offers will come rolling in!:D

tx gpa 3.52
amcas gpa 3.57

mcat 26 P
b9 p8 v9

my tx app was filed in mid aug but my letters weren't sent to the app service till a week or so after the aug mcat was recieved.

My stats aren't the best but I got some good EC's (fraternal officer positions and experience in underserved heatlh care( i'm from south texas))

i also got a call from tcom today for an interview!

congratulations to those who have gotten interviews so soon after your scores came out :clap:
i guess i should really look into getting a suit! i got mine out the other day and there was mold growing on it :( a couple of years ago i lived in a place that had a mold infested closet! i dry cleaned my suit, but apparently the mold came back.

TX people, read the Texas pre-med thread, it is very helpful. it case you are wondering I was an April taker, my app got sent out to the schools 8/14 and UT Houston seems to take about 2 weeks to get back to you. they base interviews soley on gpa and mcat. they like to interview tons of people so they can pick those who they feel best fit the school. its a laid back day. San Antonio (before warned, they give you a 1.5 week notice before your interview) and Galveston (months notice) took about a month to get back to me and Texas Tech (they let you schedule) and A&M (months notice) took about a month and a half. I've heard SW can be fast too, but since they didn't show me the love, I don't know. however, some people had completely different results. I pushed back my interviews at Galveston (11/27), A&M (12/5), and Tech (11/6) hoping I would hear from Baylor, so I may be there the same day you guys are. If you're applying to Baylor, it took about 2 weeks from when my amcas was transmitted to get an interview invite. Good luck!

Took the MCAT in August but had amcas and all secondaries completed before MCAT scores. Just scored my first interview at the University of Utah. I applied to 14 allopathic and 2 D.O. schools. I'm sure more Aug MCATers will start to see more interviews soon.:D

how's everyone doing?
is it just me or is this process extremely SLOW.
i have gotten interviews at 2 schools, rejections from 3, am waiting on a secondary for 1!!, and am waiting to hear from 19 schools that stil have my app. what the heck? at this point i feel like the rejections letters should at least be rolling in if the interview offers are not. is anyone else feeling this way or am i the only one with an app that schools are just sitting on!

No, this is really bugging me too. I've gotten interview invites at 6 schools but I'm still waiting on 11 others that have been sitting on my secondaries since August and September. I know they had to wait for my MCAT scores but I want to hear something. Some of these interviews, if I get any more, probably won't be until March or April now so I'm getting bummed about being at the end of the interview cycle. I can't take any more of these days finding nothing in the mailbox while people post their acceptances here ...

lola,
Don't fret yet! Last year I applied and didn't hear anything (mostly rejections) until after the first of the year. For us Aug. MCAT'ers the process is much slower. Just remember that these schools have had your new scores for only 6 weeks. I had my applications complete about 1 month prior to the release of my new MCAT scores. Things are going pretty well and I have interviewed at Utah and have interviews at SLU and Ohio State in the next 2 weeks. I am not expecting any more interview invites until after Jan. 1 because the holiday season is upon us and schools usually stop interviewing around this time and start interviewing the more average applicants after the first of the year. THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR US AVERAGE APPLICANTS!:D

I don't feel good either, at least you two already have interviews, i have ZERO. I've got 2 rejections and waiting for secondary from 1 school, put on hold at two schools, and nothing from the other 19 schools......
but i'm already getting used to not finding anything in my mailbox, and even if i do...they're always letters saying my application's complete...which i have sent everything in a month ago......so they're definitely sitting on my application.......and before i thought i was pretty early for an first time august mcater...but now i think i've fallen to the bottom......
i'm getting a bit numb about opening my mailbox and checking my emails.....i'd be too stressed out if i cared anymore.....
THIS SUCKS!!!!!

i feel your pain. At this point, I don't like checking the mail anymore, cuz it's always rejections! I'm still waiting on a dozen schools though. I found out one way to speed up the rejections: call the schools and ask them what up with your application. Some will tell you upfront whether they chose to interview you or not. Hang in there jolu! Your time will come! But, just call up the schools and see where they're at in the process of reviewing your application. One of my friends called her top choice school, and because of the phone call, she got an interview!

i'm thinking of calling up some schools next week. i dunno... i'm sort of afraid to call up schools like ucsf b/c i will be sad to hear if they've rejected me :( i'm pretty sure they have, though.
what do you say when you call them? i don't want to sound pushy. i haven't had a rejection in like a month or something, and i'm thinking some schools have already rejected me for sure. don't i sound upbeat?!

I was going to call Albany today because i saw a post several days ago saying this guy called and found out he got rejected, so i thought i would probably find out some info on my application as well. Well, just as i was about to call, i felt like checking my mailbox first....and tada.....there's my albany rejection letter...hahahahahah......
well....at least along with that letter is Wayne State's invite for a secondary...so i guess some good news.....
lola, i'm scared to call too....maybe i should start to call next week too.....but would they honestly give you an interview because you called???

there's a new post about this, but anyway, when do you think we should start calling schools to find out what is going on? I certainly don't want to call early and just piss them off more. and when should we just assume its over? does every school send a pre-interview/post-secondary rejection or do they just let you go?

yeah, i don't actually like calling, but it gives you some sort of answer. I just ask for the status of my application and whether any decision has been made or when I will hear from them. As for my friend, she called and they hadn't checked off that her app was complete. Then they said, "well, now that you're complete, I guess we can schedule an interview." This was at the University of Minnesota.

wow...she's a lucky girl then, i don't think that happens often..or if at all for most schools....
i just called some schools and all i got was your application is complete....and then i just said...uh...okay...thank you...! doesn't sound like they are willing to give me anymore info...
well....we'll just all enjoy a nice weekend...another week has passed....

I'm an August MCATer. So far I have interviews at:
1) George Washington
2) Albany
3) EVMS
4) Boston U.

No rejections so far.