First Time MCAT Taker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimbebe51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nvm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I just took the practice MCAT on Kaplan's website, not knowing anything about the test and got a 26. I graduated in 2005 and forgot everything in physics and some ochem and biology. I don't know how accurate that score is but I got a 9 in Bio, 9 Verbal and 8 in PS. I was really shocked that most of the questions were passage based tests instead of separate questions.

Do you think it is at all possible for me to take the January MCAT and score around a 30? Or, should I wait until April? Is a 5 point increase too much to anticipate? I don't have the MCAT books yet, but I presume I would start studying in about a week averaging about 3 hours a day.

You have to understand that Kaplan designs their mcat tests so that you will score low, panic, and then enroll in one of their expensive courses because you 'need' them. Of course, once you take their course and you start scoring 30's on their practice exam you will feel as though you had got your money's worth because of how much 'better' you're doing--when in reality they give easier tests. They want your money, and really don't care if you pass the mcat or not.

The best way to gauge your mcat prowess is to go to the aamc website and purchase some of the mcat exams they have available. These are out-of-circulation exams that had been administered to pre-meds at one time in the past. These are the BEST indicators as to how you will do on the real thing.

That being said, some prep courses do have a little value in that they give you pointers on HOW to approach the questions; process of elimination and all that.....for example, if an answer has the word ALWAYS or NEVER (absolutes) then that answer will be the wrong one 9 out of 10 times. Memorizing everything is not enough, you have to learn how to negotiate the questions.

Yeah, I mean I wasn't expecting much since I didn't review yet, but I did expect more from my verbal since that is my strong point. But, it's good to hear that it is not indicative of my future prospects!

btw, I just checked to see if there were any spots open for the Jan 30 test, and there aren't any in CA. I didn't know that the CA test sites would all be filled up. I don't think I would want to fly on over to AZ and take the test there, so April it is.

Wise choice!!!

Dont use Kaplan verbal as your test....use EK verbal or AAMCs...:)