First time MMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am sure that these threads are around so please don't crucify me but has anyone had an MMI interview this cycle? I have my first interview coming up at SUNY Upstate and would love some tips for a first time interviewee/MMI interviewee.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know the answers for your question, but on a side note can I just say I really don't see the problem with asking a question that has been asked before. It is not like you are taking up the precious resources of the SDN servers. Not sure why people get so fiesty about it.

Reactions: 5 users
I have two MMIs scheduled soon, but haven't had one yet. You want a method of execution, a solid way to approach articulating an answer. But you don't want to rehearse.

I'd suggest practicing every day on a few scenarios, while reading up on bioethics and being familiar with the principle values of the medical field - justice, autonomy, beneficence, non maleficence. Also look into dealing with unethical authority figures, working in a team setting, breaking bad news, and cultural competence.

When you think of scenarios, first identify what the category of the prompt is: ethical dilemma, health policy, standard interview question? Second, identify the problem or issue. Third, identify the the source of the problem or issue. Fourth, think of any relevant life experiences that you have had that apply to this particular scenario. Fifth, find a resolution.

When you articulate it in person to the interviewer, figure out a standard method of approach. Something like:
First 30 seconds, identify what the prompt told you or is asking you to do.
Next 15 seconds, discuss you plan of attack: "I'm going to weigh my two options.." or "I want to identify the pros and cons.."
Then, execute your plan: explore the options, list pros and cons, etc.
Lastly, pick a resolution or option and stick to it.
Leave a few minutes for questions.

That's how I've been doing it.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an MMI at UT Austin, and it was actually pretty fun. They were all ethics based questions. Treat it like a game, you will have time to read and think about the questions/scenarios and formulate a response. Think out loud, they want to hear your thought process. They should ask follow up questions about the topic, so you don't have to talk for the full amount of time if you feel like you've said everything you needed to say. Just have fun and be yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I am sure that these threads are around so please don't crucify me but has anyone had an MMI interview this cycle? I have my first interview coming up at SUNY Upstate and would love some tips for a first time interviewee/MMI interviewee.
Check in the school specific discussion; someone commented on how this particular school was much more chill in terms of interviewers. I'm not expecting stone faces and silence thanks to them. @piii 's post is brilliant in how to tackle it mentally !
Perhaps I'll see you at your uncoming interview :)

Check in the school specific discussion; someone commented on how this particular school was much more chill in terms of interviewers. I'm not expecting stone faces and silence thanks to them. @piii 's post is brilliant in how to tackle it mentally !
Perhaps I'll see you at your uncoming interview :)

@breezy16 when are you interviewing? :)

Also have an MMI coming up, more nervous for this than the standard interview!

Best of luck to all of you. Hope it goes well.

Samir Desai, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine

I've had 3 with another one scheduled so far and I love them!

There are three things that I've found useful for preparation.

1) Read the UW page on Bioethics. No SERIOUSLY. READ IT. Every MMI I've had has drawn scenarios directly from it. Additionaly, if you can think of other murky scenarios not on the site, read about them, too. (Eg When do I legally have to report abuse? What about when X.? etc.)

2) Start talking to randos more. Guys next to you the train, girl in front of you in class, dude sitting next to you on the plane to your interview... ANYONE. The point is to get comfortable in situations where you otherwise might not be.

3) We all have "that friend." You know, the extremely argumentative one with deep seated opinions? Talk to him/her/them to get comfortable stating a position and then maintaining it. They'll poke holes in your argument. This is VERY good. MMI raters will do the same thing. They also might try to get under your skin. Practice keeping your cool. You can talk about scenarios relevant to medical ethicss, but also pretty much anything else under the sun... religion, 2016 candidates, the wage gap, GMOs... anything you can have discourse about, do it!

Good luck!

I've had 3 with another one scheduled so far and I love them!

There are three things that I've found useful for preparation.

1) Read the UW page on Bioethics. No SERIOUSLY. READ IT. Every MMI I've had has drawn scenarios directly from it. Additionaly, if you can think of other murky scenarios not on the site, read about them, too. (Eg When do I legally have to report abuse? What about when X.? etc.)

2) Start talking to randos more. Guys next to you the train, girl in front of you in class, dude sitting next to you on the plane to your interview... ANYONE. The point is to get comfortable in situations where you otherwise might not be.

3) We all have "that friend." You know, the extremely argumentative one with deep seated opinions? Talk to him/her/them to get comfortable stating a position and then maintaining it. They'll poke holes in your argument. This is VERY good. MMI raters will do the same thing. They also might try to get under your skin. Practice keeping your cool. You can talk about scenarios relevant to medical ethicss, but also pretty much anything else under the sun... religion, 2016 candidates, the wage gap, GMOs... anything you can have discourse about, do it!

Good luck!
thank you for suggesting the UW page. looks very helpful.