first time practice dat test

Started by lwergod
Tags Tags
dat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lwergod

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
scored a 17 aa with little to no study background. bio/gc are tests of knowledge and I seem to have forgotten a great deal of info from freshmen year. OC, needs more practice, as i just wrapped up oc II fall semester of my junior year. Math/Pat, I scored 18/19, respectively, despite having guessed 5-8 questions due to time constraints. Reading sucked. I prefer to read and comprehend the big picture, but the science passages required a lot of attention to detail and scanning for random info.

current gpa is 3.52(up from 3.42 from before fall semester started, earned a 4.0 this semester), junior at top 35 public uni.


I don't know if 21+ is a feasible score for me to attain considering this weak af starting point. thoughts?
 
I only looked at the most foreign section which was/is the PAT. Reviewed some questions on DATBC, and jumped right into the kaplan practice test.

edit: also any pointers, or sources would be appreciated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd start with looking at breakdowns in this forum - a lot of different users have posted their scores, the material they used to prepare, how long they studied, advice for others, etc. I would try to read at least a few of these to get a feel for what you think is most effective and then structure a study plan. You can find a very nicely organized collection of DAT breakdowns at this link: DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)
 
I think it’s normal to score low on your first practice exam. I took a practice exam before I started studying and I think I got sub 17 on a few sections, but after studying consistently I was able to see my practice scores go up. I ended up getting a 23 on the real thing.
 
Agree with everything that has been said so far. Depending on how much time you have before your exam, it's definitely to score above a 21. The nice part about scoring a 17 now is that it's much easier to improve it to a 21 as opposed to a 20 -> 24 improvement. If you're able to identify what topics you're weakest in, you can focus on reviewing those areas first to get the best bang for your time.