first time reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peetie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am starting to put together my first "Re"application. How much do you change stuff up? Obviously things need to be up-to-date, but did you write a whole new PS and such? I like mine (and don't want to totally scrap it - or even do major overhaul). If you just change a few lines to make it "current" do you think your good, or what?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

peetie said:
So I am starting to put together my first "Re"application. How much do you change stuff up? Obviously things need to be up-to-date, but did you write a whole new PS and such? I like mine (and don't want to totally scrap it - or even do major overhaul). If you just change a few lines to make it "current" do you think your good, or what?

Thanks,

That's exactly what I did.

peetie said:

Thanks,
This question has probably come up a few times before. Do a search in SDN to see what other people did.

You can probably use the same stuff as before. But you should update it to reflect what you've done to improve yourself since your last application. For example ...

1. Put a new paragraph in your essay covering these things.

2. Add a letter or two from professors who can vouch for the new things you've done. Have all your letter-writers update their letters. Or if your letters were weak, consider getting all new letters.

3. Contact schools who interviewed you but didn't offer you a spot, and ask them for ways to improve your application. Ask your premed advisor as well.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally overhauled my PS with help from a Volunteer Director at a major hospital and reviewed by an med school ADCOM member.

I got three better LORs, but used two from the previous cycle. Also improved MCAT and volunteer experience.

peetie said:

Thanks,

I just added more stuff to be up to date and then went along to polish and buff my PS A bit more so it read well and had the 3 points I was trying to get across. I think depending on what your PS Was before, just add a few linesthen you'll be fine. If you don't think it's your best work then do a complete overhaul. Tough to say since it's on a case by case basis. Have someone on an adcom look it over, they may be able to give some great suggestions or tell you just to throw it out with the water.