First Year Au.D. Classes..what to brush up on before you start!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aud20doc10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are already in your first year or more of the Au.D. degree, is there anything you wish you would've studied more prior to starting classes?

Most of us come from programs that give us all the basics with regards to the field. I know the program is challenging and I think it would be helpful for those of us to have an idea what we may need to brush up on before classes start.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you had Hearing Science or anything of that sort in undergrad, you might brush up on that. Otherwise, enjoy your summer and rest. You won't be getting much of it in the very near future.

For those of you that are already in your first year or more of the Au.D. degree, is there anything you wish you would've studied more prior to starting classes?

Most of us come from programs that give us all the basics with regards to the field. I know the program is challenging and I think it would be helpful for those of us to have an idea what we may need to brush up on before classes start.

Thanks!

Great question! I too was thinking of preparing over the summer - perhaps even buying a few textbooks.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the classes in the first year for me have been review of prereq's or prereq's revisited but in way more detail and you are expected to remember everything.

For me the only thing worth studying ahead of time would have been Anatomy. Within two weeks of the semester we were required to know every foramen in the human skull and the major blood vessels and nerves that pass through them.

Anatomy is a lot of memorization so the earlier you can start drilling it into your head the better! (not literally, no new foramens please!) sorry for the nerd humor. =)

oh and a shopping spree for business/business-casual might also be good.

A lot of the classes in the first year for me have been review of prereq's or prereq's revisited but in way more detail and you are expected to remember everything.

For me the only thing worth studying ahead of time would have been Anatomy. Within two weeks of the semester we were required to know every foramen in the human skull and the major blood vessels and nerves that pass through them.

Anatomy is a lot of memorization so the earlier you can start drilling it into your head the better! (not literally, no new foramens please!) sorry for the nerd humor. =)

Thank You! This is so helpful. Is there a textbook for Anatomy you would recommend?

And the shopping spree part of the prep sounds most enticing :)

LovingAud: there might be some basic ap books at like border's or other bookstores. I'm going to check mine this weekend.

I would suggest getting in observation time, if you can, over the summer. I think summer could be an ideal time to get more experience and see audiology in practice, especially if your program has students working in the clinic during the first year. The more you see, the more confident you will feel.

A good book to get (if you really think you can make yourself study) might be the workbook, Audiometric Interpretation, but Kaplan, Gladstone and Lloyd. Each page has an audiogram that you answer questions about. The problems work up slowly in difficulty. It's a lot more fun than reading a textbook. If you could get through the entire workbook before you started your program, you would be way ahead.

Anything you can brush up on!? How about a nice Caribbean vacation!

aud20doc10 - If you find any books at Borders, would you please let me know as well - - Thanks!

cidanu -- thank you for the tips regarding anatomy and the shopping spree (looking forward to it)

Kitska -- your input is so helpful! What school do you attend?

Thank You for all the suggestions!
I am hoping to get with the prep as soon as my Exams are over!

We used Musiek & Baran's The Auditory System in combination with a bunch of other stuff. It's a good book. Liebman's Neuroanatomy is another good one.

Personally - I'd take the summer to relax. You're paying the school to teach you want you need to know, and they chose you because they think that you're a good enough student to learn what they're teaching.

I would also hold off on buying books until you know for sure which books your professors want you to buy. If you're really craving some type of reading - I would look into more novel type books about people dealing with hearing loss. This can help you start to build your personal counseling kit and recommendation lists for future patients.

Good luck!

Kudos to aud20doc10 for thinking to ask this question! It wouldn't have occurred to me. And all of you have given some really good tips. I'm definitely going to work very, very hard on that shopping spree :)D) and I just ordered a memoir and a couple of novels dealing with hearing loss. FYI, amazon.com is having free shipping when you do a free month-long trial of AmazonPrime, so y'all may want to take a peek.

Kitska -- your input is so helpful! What school do you attend?

I'm somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic/New York/New England/Rust Belt area. Sorry -- I don't divulge that information. I prefer to remain anonymous. :)

I would say relax as much as you can and take a few trips. On those trips, look over some anatomy and hearing science if you can, but don't bust a blood vessel trying to cram it all in. 3 years is a long time and it will get intense. Take some time to relax so your brain is ready for what's to come.

PEOPLE! You've got a lot of work ahead of you.. please enjoy your summer!! Textbook closed!! :laugh: