First Year Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am beginning podiatry school this coming fall at OCPM. I was hoping to hear some opinions on which classes you wished you knew more about during your first years so I can try and brush up. Private messages are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For most students, a lot of what you will be taking the first year you will be seeing for the first time. So unless you really struggled in your undergrad pre-reqs, or have been out of college for awhile, I would suggest enjoying the time you have left before you start.

I would recommend preparing by relaxing, watching TV, hanging out with friends and family and avoiding anything that looks like school.

The amount of work you'll be doing just to keep up (not to mention trying to excel or beat out other students) will be far more than you've ever done, and I promise you won't understand it until you're there. Studying now will add minimal understanding of the new material, and you'll wind up just being bummed out and tired faster.

You'll have plenty of time to be overwhelmed with new info later; just chill, friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend preparing by relaxing, watching TV, hanging out with friends and family and avoiding anything that looks like school.

The amount of work you'll be doing just to keep up (not to mention trying to excel or beat out other students) will be far more than you've ever done, and I promise you won't understand it until you're there. Studying now will add minimal understanding of the new material, and you'll wind up just being bummed out and tired faster.

You'll have plenty of time to be overwhelmed with new info later; just chill, friend.
:thumbup: He's right.

Hi all,

I am beginning podiatry school this coming fall at OCPM. I was hoping to hear some opinions on which classes you wished you knew more about during your first years so I can try and brush up. Private messages are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Read up on Medical Biochemistry, Gross anatomy and Histology.

I think you mean Kent State College of Podiatric Medicine :D

I will echo the other's sentiments. Relax while you can.

You'll be taking Human Anatomy, Histology, Biochemistry, Genetics and a fewother random courses. Human Anatomy can be challenging but there are always tons of TAs who help you out in the lab and for the lecture material. Histologyis pretty straight forward. Biochemistry can be rough but the professor isreally helpful/caring and he will teach you everything you need to know.Genetics is hit or miss and can be a little rough due to the professor, butyou'll get through it. I would recommend not studying very much at all beforeyou start. The amount of material you are expected to learn in the first weekalone will make any previous studying you have done near pointless. Enjoy yourfriends and family while you still have time to see them. The next 7 years ofyour life will be very busy and there will be plenty of time to learneverything you need to know along the way. For now just relax and have somefun.