First year DO enrollment tops 7,000

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Coming from a school with 160 students I can't imagine what it must be like to have another 100 students. Seems too big!

Reactions: 1 user
That's pretty crazy. A 2k, or 40%, increase in DO students since I graduated in 2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread threw me off, then I noticed that new matriculants was ~6800. That's the number of new seats. ~250 people are enrolled in first year, but aren't new matriculants, so thats for people repeating the year or people who took leaves.

That's pretty crazy. A 2k, or 40%, increase in DO students since I graduated in 2013.

Wait until they graduate. With attrition, it might be closer to 30% between 2013 and 2018. Still a big increase, but not as huge I guess.

PNWU had more than 50% attrition rate (146 matriculated in their first class, 70 graduated). That just doesn't seem right, am I interpreting the data incorrectly?
This isn't correct. PNWU's first 5 classes were only approved to matriculate 75 and they recently increased their class size from 75 to 135 and have now enrolled their second class with the larger class size.

Reactions: 1 users
How many new MD school matriculants?

This isn't correct. PNWU's first 5 classes were only approved to matriculate 75 and they recently increased their class size from 75 to 135 and have now enrolled their second class with the larger class size.
Thanks for the clarification, the numbers simply didn't add up.

They expanded their class to 135? I thought they were struggling to find decent click call for 75.

if schools can create residency spots to justify the increase in student enrollment, then by all means go for it. If not, then its simply immoral and unethical. Considering how much flak students get about being moral and efficacious leaders, it's rather contradictory that those in-charge allow for un-regulated increases in student enrollment. sad truth is: w/o ACGME access only ~50% of graduating DOs would be able to match into an AOA residency. Simply due to a lack of AOA residency spots.

This is very concerning. I think DO schools are opening up too quickly and many existing schools are increasing class sizes. Call me wrong but I think quality is always better than quantity. There are also seems to be a lot more variability among accepted students with regards to academic stats across programs.

So LECOM has almost 400 matriculants/year?! I couldn't imagine how that might be. My class only has around 180. Nothing personal for any LECOMers out there, you have no control over the schools matriculation numbers, but that sounds like a "degree mill" strategy(Devry, University of Phoenix, etc) with so many students/class. Also, am I reading this chart right? It seems that most schools have anywhere between 80-90% graduation rate. This calculation assuming that what ever graduation number is posted that year is for the matriculating class 4 years previous. It doesn't make sense that the matriculation numbers and the grad numbers for one year are for the same class. If that was the case then LECOM had a 66% grad rate for 2011-2012, which doesn't sound right at all. Is that normal for any medschool (allo/osteo)?

So LECOM has almost 400 matriculants/year?! I couldn't imagine how that might be. My class only has around 180. Nothing personal for any LECOMers out there, you have no control over the schools matriculation numbers, but that sounds like a "degree mill" strategy(Devry, University of Phoenix, etc) with so many students/class. Also, am I reading this chart right? It seems that most schools have anywhere between 80-90% graduation rate. This calculation assuming that what ever graduation number is posted that year is for the matriculating class 4 years previous. It doesn't make sense that the matriculation numbers and the grad numbers for one year are for the same class. If that was the case then LECOM had a 66% grad rate for 2011-2012, which doesn't sound right at all. Is that normal for any medschool (allo/osteo)?

LECOM has ~380 students between 4 pathways spread across 2 campuses. LECOM-E LDP (150), LECOM-E PBL (~100), LECOM-E DSP (~20), and LECOM-SH PBL in Greensburg, PA (~110).

LECOM-SH is in a completely different city (for pre-clinicals), but is considered a satellite campus, so its numbers were included simply under LECOM (although the link in the OP has them clearly separated, so I'm not sure how you got confused). Most of LECOM-E PBL takes place in a completely separate building in Erie (Bayfront) away from the main campus. LECOM-E DSP is essentially independant study with regular meetings and those students can go to lectures with LDP people of they want.

This is not "diploma-mill" numbers. At best its 270 people at LECOM-E (split into 3 different separate programs) and 110 at LECOM-SH. For comparison NYCOM has ~330 people at one campus, AZCOM has ~270 now at their campus, PCOM has ~280, LMU has ~260, etc.

Also, you seem to missing the fact that LECOM-SH started in 2009 and had its first graduating class in 2013. That means that while ~360 people started in 2009 at LECOM-E and LECOM-SH, only ~260 people graduated each year in 2010, 2011, 2012, until SH graduated its first class in 2013. Attrition for DO schools averages ~8%, and LECOM has an attrition rate of roughly that.

EDIT: The attrition rate was bothering me, so I looked at the old data. First year enrollment for 2010 at LECOM (Erie & Seton Hill) was 390 (it was higher than normal that year). 366 people graduated in 2014 from LECOM-E and LECOM-SH. (366/390)*100% = ~93.8% and net attrition of ~6.2%. Keep in mind this is net attrition, so attrition across one class is obviously a bit greater than this, but generally speaking graduation rate tends to be around this.

Last edited:
This is very concerning. I think DO schools are opening up too quickly and many existing schools are increasing class sizes. Call me wrong but I think quality is always better than quantity.
Since DO schools can be completely self funded by tuition, expansion and class size increases makes for relatively easy $$$ for schools/investors. That being said, COCA's new 98% match rate requirement should put a bit of a brake on future expansion.

I think Touro has even more. Talk about a degree mill.

BUMP

Does anyone know how this will affect 2015 graduates and the match? Last year there were 924 spots unfilled in the AOA match. I assume DO matches in ACGME will only increase, but does anyone know if there will still a significant number of spots open in AOA match? Is it still easy to match in AOA FM or TRI? I can't find a statistic on the number of 2014 grads vs 2015 grads

BUMP

Does anyone know how this will affect 2015 graduates and the match? Last year there were 924 spots unfilled in the AOA match. I assume DO matches in ACGME will only increase, but does anyone know if there will still a significant number of spots open in AOA match? Is it still easy to match in AOA FM or TRI? I can't find a statistic on the number of 2014 grads vs 2015 grads

I wouldn't worry with a 1 year change. I don't think many schools (if any) opened in 2011, so I wouldn't expect a huge change. If you're worried though, talk to your school and programs in their OPTI.