First-Year Dropout (Med Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didnt read the whole thing, but it seems like the OP didn't even attempt to get a LOA and think things through, but just bailed. So, I cannot really blame those that are bashing her for that decision. Because, quite frankly, if I were a pre-med trying to get in and saw someone toss away their seat, I would be alittle annoyed as well.

I agree. That was a very dumb move.. Even if she thought her medical school career was over.

Members don't see this ad.

The most refreshing thing in the world is to see medical students who are so self-righteous that they bash pre-meds. I can't believe I will be joining them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Next time, before judging how much character and integrity people have based off of posts on SDN, you should take your own advice. Because otherwise it makes you sound like a giant hypocrite.

You're right, I judge people who show nill in way of compassion and still claim to want to go into a field that's supposed to be full of it. Instead of being jealous and spiteful, maybe you should tame that green-eyed monster and either reply with decent posts to the OP or don't reply at all. No one cares that you think she's stupid or if it isn't what you would have done. You have no idea what the circumstances surrounding her pregnancy were. What if her boyfriend/husband died? What if she got pregnant and couldn't afford to have the baby by herself? What if she had no childcare? What if she has a medical condition and needed to be close to family? There are all kinds of reasons why someone would make such a decision and not be in a clear enough state of mind to ask for a LOA.

We're judgmental? How do you expect the adcoms to be? The OP asked us to give her our opinion, she asked us to judge her, and we did so according to how we believe adcoms will judge her. She asked, specifically, about her chances of getting into a med school given her circumstances, and we offered our honest opinions.

Let's not forget the irony that permeates your entire post either. You judge us as having no character and integrity, you judge the OP as stupid(which is exactly how we judged, no?), right after you point out how nothing is "like a judgmental ass on the Internet."

She asked for opinions about her situation. She didn't ask for opinions about her personally. She didn't ask to be called dumb or stupid. She didn't ask to be called any names whatsoever.

The most refreshing thing in the world is to see medical students who are so self-righteous that they bash pre-meds. I can't believe I will be joining them.

It's not about pre-med vs. med student and it's not about being self-righteous. I would have said these same things to you as a pre-med and I would still say them if you were a med student. It's not about your status. It's about your words. They were uncalled for. Forgive me for not looking the other way. I tend to speak up when I run into that kind of thing.

I am sorry there are a whole lot of maybe's she posted wanting an opinion of what to do.... she left out all of the maybe's that you claim are possible, so people responded to the information that she supplied. Yes i admit that some of the responses are rude but you can not ask someone for advice and then request how they supply it. Will the admissions commitee think of all of these maybes based on the info that she supplied? I admire your compassion because you polite and want to consider all possibilities, but you too are lacking compassion by assuming people that respond the way they do are jealous.:)

You're right, I judge people who show nill in way of compassion and still claim to want to go into a field that's supposed to be full of it. Instead of being jealous and spiteful, maybe you should tame that green-eyed monster and either reply with decent posts to the OP or don't reply at all. No one cares that you think she's stupid or if it isn't what you would have done. You have no idea what the circumstances surrounding her pregnancy were. What if her boyfriend/husband died? What if she got pregnant and couldn't afford to have the baby by herself? What if she had no childcare? What if she has a medical condition and needed to be close to family? There are all kinds of reasons why someone would make such a decision and not be in a clear enough state of mind to ask for a LOA.

I am sorry there are a whole lot of maybe's she posted wanting an opinion of what to do....

Thank you for saying the magic words. She wanted an opinion of WHAT TO DO, not an opinion of her or her intelligence.

she left out all of the maybe's that you claim are possible,

Because most of that stuff is personal information and I'm sure she didn't count on bitter pre-meds, pissed off that they don't have an acceptance yet to get on here and bash her the way they have.

so people responded to the information that she supplied. Yes i admit that some of the responses are rude but you can not ask someone for advice and then request how they supply it.

And you can't expect to write those kinds of responses and not expect others to call you on it. (not you personally, but in general).

Will the admissions committee think of all of these maybes based on the info that she supplied? I admire your compassion because you polite and want to consider all possibilities, but you too are lacking compassion by assuming people that respond the way they do are jealous.:)

I'm not assuming that people respond that way because they're jealous. It's been stated in this thread. When the people being rude were confronted, their replies were that they've been working so hard to get a seat and haven't gotten one yet so they get pissed off when someone else lets theirs go. To me, that reeks of jealousy. It's one of those "you have what I want" and what drives the bitterness is that "you gave it up."

"Are you this obnoxious in person? Relax man... Or, is this some alter-ego that you have? "

"Don't be so quick to judge other people's decisions, just because you are jealous of the opportunities that they have, and frustrated with the opportunities that you let slide by (earlier in your education)."

Hypocrite much? You don't know Food or his/her situation and are making extremely large assumptions based on little information. Maybe he/she is crabby this week due to his cat getting run over by a car? Maybe he/she is sick or has a dying relative? Don't be so quick to judge! :rolleyes:

Before you single me out for being rude and offensive, you should go back and read all the posts in this thread. Then let's see if you think I'm being the most rude and offensive. Chances are you will feel ashamed.

"Are you this obnoxious in person? Relax man... Or, is this some alter-ego that you have? "

"Don't be so quick to judge other people's decisions, just because you are jealous of the opportunities that they have, and frustrated with the opportunities that you let slide by (earlier in your education)."

Yes, I'm just as bad as he is. Have you read his posts? Looked at his MDapps page? If he should be mad at anyone, it should be himself. He obviously has the ability to master the curriculum in medical school, and he would be here if it wasn't for his slack performance earlier in undergrad.

How do I know? I was in a similar position (in regards to my first two years of undergrad).

Yes, I'm just as bad as he is. Have you read his posts? Looked at his MDapps page? If he should be mad at anyone, it should be himself. He obviously has the ability to master the curriculum in medical school, and he would be here if it wasn't for his slack performance earlier in undergrad.

How do I know? I was in a similar position (in regards to my first two years of undergrad).

Oh comeon...seriously? You don't even know my GPA trends / circumstances. I mean I agree with you, I do blame myself first. I don't think anybody gets too far without accepting responsibility. But that doesn't mean you should be judging my character based on my undergrad performance.

She asked for opinions about her situation. She didn't ask for opinions about her personally. She didn't ask to be called dumb or stupid. She didn't ask to be called any names whatsoever.

That's, of course, after you called her stupid.

Thank you for saying the magic words. She wanted an opinion of WHAT TO DO, not an opinion of her or her intelligence.

Because most of that stuff is personal information and I'm sure she didn't count on bitter pre-meds, pissed off that they don't have an acceptance yet to get on here and bash her the way they have.

And you can't expect to write those kinds of responses and not expect others to call you on it. (not you personally, but in general).

I'm not assuming that people respond that way because they're jealous. It's been stated in this thread. When the people being rude were confronted, their replies were that they've been working so hard to get a seat and haven't gotten one yet so they get pissed off when someone else lets theirs go. To me, that reeks of jealousy. It's one of those "you have what I want" and what drives the bitterness is that "you gave it up."

We did tell her what to do. There's nothing she can do this year. The adcoms will judge her the same way we did, that she was stupid and completely uncommitted.

BTW, thanks for pointing out the OP's desires, I'm glad to see that you're doing so much to guide her rather than attacking other posters who did offer her their opinion, even if it's harsh. Very compassionate of you indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
A situation like hers is really not good for females in medicine. Don't let girls in because they will just get pregnant and quit, right? In undergrad, one of my professors told us about a study that indicated that only something like 10% of female physicians were still working 10 years after residency. I don't remember the exact statistic other than that I was appalled by it. He said the most common reason for leaving was to start a family. This was around 2005, so it may be possible to find the study if you are interested.

Anyway, I really hope there is more to her story. What she's told us does indeed give the impression that she is dumb and manipulative. I don't think Food or anyone else is being overly harsh. It has also been difficult for me to read her post non-judgmentally due to my own situation. I was forced out of school due to illness beyond my control. Now I will struggle to get back in at the same time as someone like her who chose her fate. She chose to get pregnant. She chose to leave school. Don't coddle her. Tell her the truth.

A situation like hers is really not good for females in medicine. Don't let girls in because they will just get pregnant and quit, right? In undergrad, one of my professors told us about a study that indicated that only something like 10% of female physicians were still working 10 years after residency. I don't remember the exact statistic other than that I was appalled by it. He said the most common reason for leaving was to start a family. This was around 2005, so it may be possible to find the study if you are interested.

Anyway, I really hope there is more to her story. What she's told us does indeed give the impression that she is dumb and manipulative. I don't think Food or anyone else is being overly harsh. It has also been difficult for me to read her post non-judgmentally due to my own situation. I was forced out of school due to illness beyond my control. Now I will struggle to get back in at the same time as someone like her who chose her fate. She chose to get pregnant. She chose to leave school. Don't coddle her. Tell her the truth.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Before you single me out for being rude and offensive, you should go back and read all the posts in this thread. Then let's see if you think I'm being the most rude and offensive. Chances are you will feel ashamed.

I stand by every word I said.

We did tell her what to do. There's nothing she can do this year. The adcoms will judge her the same way we did, that she was stupid and completely uncommitted.

BTW, thanks for pointing out the OP's desires, I'm glad to see that you're doing so much to guide her rather than attacking other posters who did offer her their opinion, even if it's harsh. Very compassionate of you indeed.

This is the biggest joke. Yes, some people offered advice, but if you're going to stand in front of Food, then I think it's relevant to point out that all Food did was gripe that the OP got a seat in med school.

As for me, I didn't offer much advice because I really don't know what the OP should do. I have no idea if she will be able to get back in to any med school and I have no idea how adcoms will react to what she did. So I focused on what I know -- kicking a person when they're down is not cool.

Sometimes, choices aren't as black and white as you seem to believe they are.

This is the biggest joke. Yes, some people offered advice, but if you're going to stand in front of Food, then I think it's relevant to point out that all Food did was gripe that the OP got a seat in med school.

As for me, I didn't offer much advice because I really don't know what the OP should do. I have no idea if she will be able to get back in to any med school and I have no idea how adcoms will react to what she did. So I focused on what I know -- kicking a person when they're down is not cool.

Yes, as upholder of justice in this thread and defender of the down-trodden you must really feel great for contributing absolutely nothing at all to the discussion.

And many times, they are more black and white than you seem to believe they are.

Yes, as upholder of justice in this thread and defender of the down-trodden you must really feel great for contributing absolutely nothing at all to the discussion.

Well, considering I contributed more than your green-eyed monster ego, I do feel great.

Well, considering I contributed more than your green-eyed monster ego, I do feel great.

Haha, I have a hard time believing what you write sometimes. You seriously think I have a green-eyed monster ego because I called the OP dumb for leaving Morehouse?

And many times, they are more black and white than you seem to believe they are.

I guess we can extrapolate this to your GPA. Once an underachiever/slacker... always an underachiever/slacker. Perhaps the ADCOM members have this same "black and white" mentallity when it comes to evaluating a person's potential success as a medical school student.

Why should anyone expect anything else? Black and white, right?

Why do you feel that you know this person so well? You don't know anything other than the fact that she got knocked up and had to leave school. You have no idea why she did it, and you sure as hell don't know what an ADCOM member at Morehouse might have to say about her chances of getting back in.

After all, you're not even accepted yet.

I guess we can extrapolate this to your GPA. Once an underachiever/slacker... always an underachiever/slacker. Perhaps the ADCOM members have this same "black and white" mentallity when it comes to evaluating a person's potential success as a medical school student.

Why do you feel that you know this person so well? You don't know anything other than the fact that she got knocked up and had to leave school. You have no idea why she did it, and you sure as hell don't know what an ADCOM member at Morehouse might have to say about her chances of getting back in.

She never gave the impression she wanted to return to Morehouse. If you actually read her posts it's pretty clear she doesn't want to go there. I, for one, never said anything against her leaving Morehouse because of her pregnancy - I just got aggressive when she gave the impression she wanted to relocate and was using the pregnancy to drop her commitment to Morehouse and go to a different school in a different city.

why did she start asking about UCF then? Go back and read her posts.

Haha, I have a hard time believing what you write sometimes. You seriously think I have a green-eyed monster ego because I called the OP dumb for leaving Morehouse?

No. I think you have a green-eyed monster ego based on your quotes in this thread:

to see someone throw that opportunity away is a little frustrating, especially when many of us are struggling for that chance

Many of us are pretty worried about getting into medical school. That's all the pre-meds. While I agree that it's not really right for us to bash the OP, we do have a hard time believing that she had a chance that many of us are worried about never having.

I'm perfectly willing to say maybe I'm taking out some frustration on people like the OP who had a chance and threw it away.

Academically, I'm fair. However, I was planning on transferring to UCF, but their fairly new with a seating of 50 students. In addition, they don't do transfers as of yet. There's plenty of med school in the state of florida, and the reason why i was looking at UCF because it's within my hometown. Right now, i'm trying to determine the odds of me getting back into another med school. Also, how would the school know if I was already in med school and later dropout if I don't mention it?

Isn't this a little shady?

No. I think you have a green-eyed monster ego based on your quotes in this thread:

Especially with the last quote, I guess I was trying to apologize but I did not do a good job of it. My intention was to explain the posts bashing the OP without really justifying them. So, to the OP, I am sorry. My intention in the quotes you have there was just to explain some of the feelings coming out in this thread. I'm sorry if I gave the opposite impression.

Wow, thank you so much for putting this whole thing in perspective. I couldn't have done it without you.

and you sure as hell don't know what an ADCOM member at Morehouse might have to say about her chances of getting back in.

She never asked about her chances at getting back into Morehouse. All she did was ask about her chances at UCF and other FL schools because she wants to be in her hometown.

Isn't this a little shady?

She never asked about her chances at getting back into Morehouse. All she did was ask about her chances at UCF and other FL schools because she wants to be in her hometown.

She's having a damn baby! Why do you think that she's attracted to her "hometown?" Maybe to have someone who will help support her living expenses and help raise her child? Can you not connect these dots? What is shady about this? If she would have taken a LOA, I bet she could have transferred without any real problem!

Oh wait, you're mad b/c she could get your spot at a Florida school. Lol.. Now I see why you're so pissed off.

She's having a damn baby! Why do you think that she's attracted to her "hometown?" Maybe to have someone who will help support her living expenses and help raise her child? Can you not connect these dots? What is shady about this? If she would have taken a LOA, I bet she could have transferred without any real problem!

Oh wait, you're mad b/c she could get your spot at a Florida school. Lol.. Now I see why you're so pissed off.

Okay, you win. I really have nothing left to say. But I must say that this did not piss me off at all. As a re-applicant I've had to deal with many things that have made me a much more patient person. According to the admissions staff I was only 1 or 2 spots away from getting in at UF, where I was wait-listed. I'm living with 2 medical students who currently attend UF. 2 of my best friends are students there. Watching them go through orientation without me was a lot more gut-wrenching and hard to deal with than reading this thread about this woman who got pregnant and wants a spot at a UF school. I spent the entire summer doing everything possible to get off the waitlist, including securing 3 additional LoRs, submitting improved grades, 3 volunteering activities and over 40 hours of shadowing. I still didn't get in. So frankly, there are many other things that pissed me off more than this thread. This thread and the OP's issue was the last thing on the list to piss me off. So when you accuse me of being POed because I didn't get a spot in FL and the OP wants one, I think you're really out of line. You really have no clue what I went through over the summer.

It really is disturbing how intentionally mean-spirited you can be. I have absolutely no respect left for you. At least I was willing to apologize to the OP.

Cry me a river. I had to deal with 2 years of waitlists at 2 of my in-state schools, b/c I had been "out of the state" for too long doing a graduate degree. As soon as I moved back to this state, I was accepted off EDP at my top choice school. Did it suck? Hell yea! This process will make your hair fall out.

Suck it up and you'll soon be in medical school. If you're anything ilke me, you're more frustrated with yourself (low GPA), than anything that you have delt with since getting rejected. When you get in (this year I bet), you'll enjoy it all the more.

Cry me a river. I had to deal with 2 years of waitlists at 2 of my in-state schools, b/c I had been "out of the state" for too long doing a graduate degree. As soon as I moved back to this state, I was accepted off EDP at my top choice school. Did it suck? Hell yea! This process will make your hair fall out.

Suck it up and you'll soon be in medical school. If you're anything ilke me, you're more frustrated with yourself (low GPA), than anything that you have delt with since getting rejected. When you get in (this year I bet), you'll enjoy it all the more.

I'm not optimistic about this year. Only 1 interview, which will probably turn into a hold since acceptances were sent out today, and my status says that my file has been reviewed. I'm not expecting any other interviews because I should have heard by now. Right now my main focus is just to avoid falling into depression. And this idiotic forum doesn't help because it's full of people who accuse others of doing the exact same thing they are experts at doing.

Okay, you win. I really have nothing left to say. But I must say that this did not piss me off at all. As a re-applicant I've had to deal with many things that have made me a much more patient person. According to the admissions staff I was only 1 or 2 spots away from getting in at UF, where I was wait-listed. I'm living with 2 medical students who currently attend UF. 2 of my best friends are students there. Watching them go through orientation without me was a lot more gut-wrenching and hard to deal with than reading this thread about this woman who got pregnant and wants a spot at a UF school. I spent the entire summer doing everything possible to get off the waitlist, including securing 3 additional LoRs, submitting improved grades, 3 volunteering activities and over 40 hours of shadowing. I still didn't get in. So frankly, there are many other things that pissed me off more than this thread. This thread and the OP's issue was the last thing on the list to piss me off. So when you accuse me of being POed because I didn't get a spot in FL and the OP wants one, I think you're really out of line. You really have no clue what I went through over the summer.

I doubt it'll make you feel any better, but the only people who think UF Med is all that are the people at UF. Chin up. Something better will happen this year.

I doubt it'll make you feel any better, but the only people who think UF Med is all that are the people at UF. Chin up. Something better will happen this year.

Thanks dude, I really hope so too. I don't think UF Med is all that, but I'd be happy to go there. I'd be happy to go anywhere, really.

I'm not optimistic about this year. Only 1 interview, which will probably turn into a hold since acceptances were sent out today, and my status says that my file has been reviewed. I'm not expecting any other interviews because I should have heard by now. Right now my main focus is just to avoid falling into depression. And this idiotic forum doesn't help because it's full of people who accuse others of doing the exact same thing they are experts at doing.

I have a friend who dealt with two years of waitlists and finally got in this past year -- to an Ivy. Even the best candidates get waitlisted, but that doesn't mean something better won't come along. If my friend had gotten off the waitlist last year or the year before, she would have been at a low-tier school or a DO school (which she was also waitlisted at). Now she's at a top school. Things work out when they're meant to.

while everyone is arguing with each other, the OP never came back to this thread. Therefor, spend your time and energy getting in medical school or studying for your boards and let the OP do what she feels she has to do. You have all said your peace.

Excuse me, for I am jet lagged. When it was supposed to be 3pm, it is now 9am and I should be sleeping. And what I want to know is, who really killed Kennedy in '63? And these papers are just here. Because I am jet lagged and should be sleeping.

Well, I can't say I've ever awakened to find myself accidentally impregnated. Maybe it happens sometimes?

Pet of the Week.
Your claim that only 10% of female medical students are still practicing 10 years after graduation is absolutely ludicrous. I have GOT to call you on it. Please provide some backing/statistics.

I graduated from med school in 2004 and am aware of 1 woman from my med school class who is working part time due to her husband being a surgical fellow and having 2 small children. The rest, those with kids and with none, are currently working full time. There is no way your claim is true and it's just ridiculous on its face - if only 10% stayed in medicine, then there just wouldn't be many female docs around practicing, especially given that until about 5-6 years ago there were <50% women in most med school classes. If you look around any hospital, you will see that >>10% of the doctors are women.

ok now that i officially have two seats in med school and one of them is UCF so hopefully no one still thinks its jealousy or and before you was a resident you have to be a pre-med. i still agree with Food and others like him......but can we all agree to disagree and exchange recipes or babysitting tips my 2 yearold is running my life LOL

:love::love::love:class of 2014 UCF

Pet of the Week.
Your claim that only 10% of female medical students are still practicing 10 years after graduation is absolutely ludicrous. I have GOT to call you on it. Please provide some backing/statistics.

I graduated from med school in 2004 and am aware of 1 woman from my med school class who is working part time due to her husband being a surgical fellow and having 2 small children. The rest, those with kids and with none, are currently working full time. There is no way your claim is true and it's just ridiculous on its face - if only 10% stayed in medicine, then there just wouldn't be many female docs around practicing, especially given that until about 5-6 years ago there were <50% women in most med school classes. If you look around any hospital, you will see that >>10% of the doctors are women.

It does seem ridiculous, doesn't it? It was Dr. Attas at Baylor University who used the study to start a class discussion on whether or not questions about future plans, pooping out kids and such, should be fair game in a med school interview for a female. Maybe he pulled it out of his butt. Send him an email. I thought it was really stupid, but I could definitely see it being true though just based on things my former fellow female med students have said. One seemed to think it would be a reasonable idea to take 5-10 years off while her kids are young. I asked how she thought she would remember her training or keep up to date since medicine is constantly changing. She said something about wanting to do family medicine which doesn't change as much...

Evening everyone, I have questions and concerns in regards to dropping-out of med school during my first year. Currently, I'm pregnant;therefore, I dropped-out of med school at the ending of my spring-term (M1). I was just a month pregnant and notify the school that I was leaving. Moreover, I didnt take leave of absence because I'm not planning on returning back to Morehouse;however, I'm considering on re-applying to Med school within my hometown. In all honesty, what is the likely hood of me getting accepted into med school since I dropped-out due pregnancy?

You could have asked for a leave of absence instead of dropping. Medical schools allow you to halt studies for serious personal problems. I am sure they would have allowed you to suspend studies for a year for pregnancy.

It does seem ridiculous, doesn't it? It was Dr. Attas at Baylor University who used the study to start a class discussion on whether or not questions about future plans, pooping out kids and such, should be fair game in a med school interview for a female. Maybe he pulled it out of his butt. Send him an email. I thought it was really stupid, but I could definitely see it being true though just based on things my former fellow female med students have said. One seemed to think it would be a reasonable idea to take 5-10 years off while her kids are young. I asked how she thought she would remember her training or keep up to date since medicine is constantly changing. She said something about wanting to do family medicine which doesn't change as much...

People do take time off. One of my professors took off five years. She took two years completely off, then worked one morning a week for the next three as an IM doctor. It does happen, but only 10% stay in? That's absolute BS.

this thread is terrible on 3 different levels.
Right now what I'm angriest about is that I just wasted ten minutes of my life reading it. :rolleyes:

To the OP: contacting your former school is the most viable option, and that's where you should start. They will be in the best position to tell you what may be possible with regard to rematriculating.

To everyone else: please try to keep in mind that we are all frustrated about something. But no matter how frustrated you are, that doesn't justify tearing someone else down--not even anonymously on the internet. Let's at least try to keep our comments civil and professional, if not constructive.

I do not hate you food I think your remarks are funny. I hope you get in this year you deserve it I hope you keep your head up.:love::love: