First Year into Second Year Summer Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligrown5

WSU c/o 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what some people did during their free summers in between school years.
I want to get experience in a hospital other than the one I got hours at before veterinary school and also make money!

Just looking to hear feedback from ANY type of experience/oppurtunities!!
Thanks!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I did the Banfield Student Jobs Program and enjoyed it immensely.

Last summer I worked at the clinic I had been working at before and during school; I also volunteered at the wildlife rehabilitation center and shadowed other veterinarians I hadn't worked with before.
This summer I am planning to either work at a new clinic (one of the ones I have been shadowing at). If that doesn't work out there are some jobs at the urgent care at my school that I plan to look into, or I may apply to work at the emergency/specialty clinics in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent the summer between 1st and 2nd year with the Banfield SJP, and I went back to the same hospital the summer after. Wouldn’t have gone back if I hadn’t enjoyed it, but I did and learned a lot.

Between 1st and 2nd year I worked in a research lab at the vet school for one of the pathologists

Summer after 1st year I worked in a research lab at the vet school (doing zoonoses/molecular virology type work). I was doing stuff in there today, so I guess I just never left. :laugh:

This summer (between 2nd and 3rd) I'm working at a specialty/emerg hospital in my hometown.

I worked in the diagnostic services lab at my school between 2nd and 3rd year as a necropsy technician! Love love loved it. Still show up randomly when I have free time... no one even questions it :laugh: Just "oh hey nessy, come look at this cool *insert weird case here*". One of the profs temporarily forgot I was a student because I show up so often :bag:

I worked for the federal government the summer before 1st year and between 1st and 2nd year.

Wouldn't recommend it necessarily unless you are interested in regulatory work someday, but it does pay better than basically any other summer internship job you will be able to find.

I made enough each summer to pay for the equivalent of a semester worth of tuition (IS at a cheap school, but still.).

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile