Summer internships/externships for first-year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nicoledoesvetstuff

Illinois c/o 2029
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I am a first-year at Illinois currently looking for summer internships/externships that I can participate in this summer. I am interested in lab animal medicine and pathology, so I am looking for anything related to these two specialities! I already applied to the Zoetis summer internship but was unfortunately rejected today, and I have also recently applied to the Illinois research summer training program. I'm just looking for suggestions for anything else out there that I should consider. Thank you!
 
Hi everyone! I am a first-year at Illinois currently looking for summer internships/externships that I can participate in this summer. I am interested in lab animal medicine and pathology, so I am looking for anything related to these two specialities! I already applied to the Zoetis summer internship but was unfortunately rejected today, and I have also recently applied to the Illinois research summer training program. I'm just looking for suggestions for anything else out there that I should consider. Thank you!
@KCgophervet for lab, @WhtsThFrequency for anatomic, @JaynaAli for clin path

https://veterinaryscholars.boehringer-ingelheim.com/scholarprogram this might be the same Illinois program you've already applied to, but you can apply to basically every single school even if you are not a student there. I'd also reach out to UofI's path department directly and see if they would be able to take you for the summer.
 
Several schools hire vet students to overnight lab techs. Don’t know if your school is one of them, but that’s the main thing that path people would probably be doing at that stage of your education. Every year my school would hire two students who just finished first year to join the on call path team. So we had 2 second years and 2 third years who split night and weekend call. They employed us full time in the summer for training, and then it was like 10 hrs a week averaged out (one night a week and one full weekend a month on call). I developed LOTS of relationships in path and with the other services just by always being at the hospital. My school also hired a few students to intake necropsies overnight (meet people, put them in the coolers) an also for some people to be necropsy techs if AP is more your thing.

If nothing else, if you’re interested in pathology, I’d just see if you can show up and shadow on the necropsy floor or in the clin path reading room if you’re staying local. I mean it wouldn’t be a paid job, but you’d get good exposure and you could get another type of job somewhere else. I pretty much lived in the cytology room all during school, and that is a large reason why I had outstanding LORs. I had spent so much time in there watching cases and hearing them teach the fourth years that my faculty actually wouldn’t let me take the cyto elective as a senior because I knew their material and they helped me arrange other experiences elsewhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Echo the lab tech (clin path essentially) and necropsy floor assistant positions, if available. You learn a lot, especially with the latter.

Summer research positions are also great. Way back in the day I did one at Wake Forest and enjoyed it a ton: Veterinary Student Summer Research Fellowship - Residencies and Fellowships

ACVP also has a great LONG list of opportunities at schools and state labs for clinical and anatomic path: Intern/Externship Opportunities – ACVP.org Note that many of them are more reserved for third and fourth year students, but there are some geared to early stage students - check the requirements.

A good friend and colleague of mine is anatomic path faculty at Illinois - I'll PM you with their details and my name, and you can say I sent you and maybe they can also help with how you can attend rounds or get more involved with the path side in general, even if it's just occasional shadowing 🙂
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am a first-year at Illinois currently looking for summer internships/externships that I can participate in this summer. I am interested in lab animal medicine and pathology, so I am looking for anything related to these two specialities! I already applied to the Zoetis summer internship but was unfortunately rejected today, and I have also recently applied to the Illinois research summer training program. I'm just looking for suggestions for anything else out there that I should consider. Thank you!
Hi there! Boarded lab animal vet here. Often vet schools have Summer Scholars programs where you join a lab for a summer and get some hands on research experience. For lab animal specifically I always highly recommend applying for an ASLAP Summer Fellowship - they often prefer 2nd going into 3rd year students but its not impossible to be chosen as a first year student.

Alternatively, just getting a job in any vet med related capacity (or even not) and reaching out to shadowing opportunities or saving money and doing fun stuff are also options (you have so few "summers" off left).