Aug 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Going into my first year of my undergrad/premed, what are some things I should accomplish this year to help with my chances of medical school?

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
First and foremost get good grades. Don't tank your GPA to start out with. If you can handle it, some shadowing and volunteering would be good to get into.

Hopeful___MD

On peut parler français à moi
Aug 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Just get a good GPA. At least a 3.7 or better. Worry about transitioning to college life first with 1-2 extracurriculars. Then, in the spring, start adding more with volunteering a few hours a week and finding a physician to shadow.

GiveMeThatMD

Consider this thread DERAILED.
2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Usually first year consists of ground-level/intro classes. If you're not pulling anything too crazy, volunteer a bit. If that's not your style, sit around in your undies all day and watch Netflix. Either works.

Lawgiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
listen to your gut, always. Not matter how painful.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Other Health Professions Student
  • Maintain a balance between your social life and your GPA. Friends are important.
  • Of course, keep a schedule planner if you find it necessary as some people do.
  • I also recommend finding physicians to shadow early on; it can be quite difficult to find physicians who'll allow you to do so. I say this from a personal experience.