First Year of Undergrad in CC

StringFlinger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to start my first year of pre-med classes at the local community college. Let me start by explaining why I'd originally enrolled in a community college. First, I dropped out of school and got my GED the week after my 17th birthday. The politics of this decision involve Mississippian redneckery and my total distaste for the imposition of religious beliefs and social networking with 'scum' (for lack of a better word) that I was placed in.

Anyway, I got the GED and got signed up to take the ACT, and I thought that my GED would most definitely keep me from getting into a 4-year university, and the deadline for fall classes at the university I was planning on attending had already passed. I completed the ACT with a composite score of 30, my highest being reading comprehension (35) and lowest being math (27). I had them sent to both the university and the community college, but I was surprised to find that, despite having opted for a GED, I was eligible, not only for admission into the 4-year, but also for the honors college there.

Now, I've already been enrolled in the CC (pre-med as major), so I'm wondering if you guys think that taking 1 year of premed classes there before transferring to the uni would be a wise move. I feel that the more relaxed learning environment would be a good place for me to reinstate some of my study skills and get a feel for college all-together. Will this hurt me in the long run, and should I, instead, try to transfer to the university as soon as possible (E.G. winter break)? Or should I just continue and finish the first year at CC for the sake of maintaining a stable environment and ECs for my first year?

Thanks in advance!
Hershey

PS: Oh yes,and these will be my classes for the first year (CC).. I don't know if all of these classes will transfer, but from my research I've deduced that at least the major science/math/english classes WILL transfer to the university.

-English Comp. 1 & 2
-Chemistry 1 & 2 w/lab
-College Alg. & Trig.
-Gen. Biology 1 & 2 w/lab
-Gen. Psychology
-Public Speaking 1

Members don't see this ad.

Great going on that ACT!

There is no single answer for which route would be better for everyone. You should do whichever you're most comfortable choosing, and can do well. Wherever you go, you want to get the highest grades you can this year. If you feel that your greatest chance for success and easing into college life would be at the CC, choose that and don't worry about it.

There are articulation agreements between local colleges. That will outline which courses are transferable. All of the ones you listed, except possibly Public Speaking, probably are.

Some things to consider in making your choice - Cost, scholarships, and the Honors College. Will attending the CC first affect your ability to obtain scholarships at the 4 year? Will it affect your invitation to the Honors College?

The cost of attending a CC is less than that of a 4 year, but if the savings over one year reduce your scholarships at the 4 year, it could wind up costing more in the long run.

Quality of the teaching and instruction - The quality of individual CC's varies widely. So does the quality between 4 year institutions, and even from instructor to instructor within a school. What is the reputation of the classes at your local school? Don't assume they are of lower quality. That's not always the case. I'm very glad that I took my basic science classes at my CC because they are better than those at the university here. Many of the instructors teach the same courses (and same tests) at both, but the CC classes had 24 students per class compared to 200+ at the university, newer and better equipped labs, and a better reputation. (Surprise) The abilities of the students within the classes varies more widely at the CC. There will be some very bright students, mixed with those who will struggle. One big difference was the grade scale. Whereas the university profs might choose to curve grades, the scale was firmly set at the CC. Getting an "A" was more difficult just because one couldn't slack off simply knowing that he had the best grade in the class.

A major difference between a CC and a uni is the social network. Students at CC's tend to go to class, study, and go home. There is less social interaction between students, fewer opportunities to get involved with INTERESTING clubs and activities. The research opportunities are generally nil.

That doesn't mean you can't get involved with research if you really want to. I contacted professors at the university and joined a lab there long before I was a student at the university. When you attend a CC, you have to go the extra distance to discover and create your own opportunities.

Thank you for your response! I have already paid a visit to the admissions counselor at the honors college, and he told me that going to a CC for a year prior to enrolling there would have no negative effects on my ability to obtain scholarships, grants, or admission to the honors college. He also said that he thought my choice was wise, and that the faculty at the CC was primarily very able. Also, it might be worth mentioning that the CC and university are both in my HOMETOWN, both within 10 minutes of my house and 3 minutes from each other. Most of the majors for 2 year programs at the CC are intended to precede the junior and senior years at the uni, so I'm somewhat confident in my knowledge of transferable classes.

Somewhat off-topic, but does a guitar theory class for non-music majors qualify as an EC? I know I want one of my ECs to be something guitar-related, as I've been playing my entire life and it's both my favorite hobby and the talent I'm most proud of.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you take it as a class, it's part of your coursework. If it's something that you do in your free time, outside of classwork, it's an EC. Extracurricular means outside of school courses taken.

It sounds like you've done your background work. Great! That's the way to make an informed decision.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your advice and encouragement. This has not been an easy decision to make, and I need all the help I can get. I think this forum will be of great help to me.

I admire that you got into both of them and really wanted to go to the 4-year but you understand that you have a better chance at succeeding at the local and then transfer. I may be a little more hardheaded. Goodluck!