This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatonegirl__

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just offered a spot at Oregon State University's program next fall! (I'm still in shock) I'm still waiting on a few more schools but it looks like I'll certainly be starting somewhere next fall. I was just curious if anyone had any first year tips for us newbies. Whether it be in regards to studying, how to balance studying with having a life, clinical experience etc etc. Also, if there are any necessary items to get us through the first year, (books, etc. Christmas is coming up and my mother is constantly asking me what I need haha.)

Anyways, anything would be helpful! I read one thread last year that had great study tips but anything else would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can peruse the prevet and vet student forums by using the search function and you'll find a few compiled lists of helpful study tips and tools. :) for me as a first year, I still don't know the best way to study. no one can really tell you, as it's all dependent on how you learn. I've heard many upperclassmen in their final years say that they still don't know the best way to study. it often depends on the class.

Honestly, if you weren't using textbooks to study in undergrad, I don't think you will use them in vet school. you will save money by not buying them if they're not extremely helpful. You'll get a better feel for what you will need and don't need once you start connecting to current students at whichever CVM you decide to attend.

First year, at least for me, had quite a good amount of free time. I can't speak for every other curriculum (I'm at a 2+2 and we start in the summer and just ended today) but I definitely felt eased in. it's much easier to keep a balance that way. for my health activities, I've taken up running and working out. it's helped me release stress and I sleep better at night too, meaning my grades get better. this, and taking nights off occasionally, are incredibly important. burn out is real.

What you'll need to take to school will really depend on where you're going, if you need to winter or not, etc. What I'd start learning now, if you don't do it already, is learning the art of budgeting. @katashark is a first year at Oregon who can most likely help you in that regard. congrats on getting in future colleague!

Reactions: 1 users
First year, at least for me, had quite a good amount of free time. I can't speak for every other curriculum (I'm at a 2+2 and we start in the summer and just ended today) but I definitely felt eased in. it's much easier to keep a balance that way. for my health activities, I've taken up running and working out. it's helped me release stress and I sleep better at night too, meaning my grades get better. this, and taking nights off occasionally, are incredibly important. burn out is real.

If you can, would you be able to go into a bit more detail about this? How do you define a good amount of free time? Could you describe what about the curriculum made you feel eased in?

If you mean the things I think you mean, it sounds like a curriculum that would suit me really well. I really don't know much about schools other than my IS, which I think is known for being fairly difficult (Cornell--largely PBL).

If you can, would you be able to go into a bit more detail about this? How do you define a good amount of free time? Could you describe what about the curriculum made you feel eased in?

If you mean the things I think you mean, it sounds like a curriculum that would suit me really well. I really don't know much about schools other than my IS, which I think is known for being fairly difficult (Cornell--largely PBL).

Well, here as first years, we get Wednesday afternoons off. the time is supposed to be for appointments or whatever adult business you need to do, but a lot of times I just studied or slept :laugh: this past semester we had a lot of free blocks in our schedule, 3+ hour lunch breaks, and Wednesdays where we ended pretty early. granted, next semester will be much, much busier and more intense. and it sure doesn't slow down after that. that said, I can't say that my fall semester experience is a guarantee for every first year class that is to come through in the future. I think I remember second years telling me that they had a substantial amount of free time as well, though not as much as we have had.

That is largely what made me feel like they wanted us to start slow and gradually pick up the pace. Also, you have 3 classes that end in september-october, but you pick up 2 new, harder ones. this is when things really started to get harder.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, here as first years, we get Wednesday afternoons off. the time is supposed to be for appointments or whatever adult business you need to do, but a lot of times I just studied or slept :laugh: this past semester we had a lot of free blocks in our schedule, 3+ hour lunch breaks, and Wednesdays where we ended pretty early. granted, next semester will be much, much busier and more intense. and it sure doesn't slow down after that. that said, I can't say that my fall semester experience is a guarantee for every first year class that is to come through in the future. I think I remember second years telling me that they had a substantial amount of free time as well, though not as much as we have had.

That is largely what made me feel like they wanted us to start slow and gradually pick up the pace. Also, you have 3 classes that end in september-october, but you pick up 2 new, harder ones. this is when things really started to get harder.

Do you think that next semester will be a bit of a shock for you with the workload increase, or do you think the class switch in Sept-Oct helped you get used to that? I guess you can't really say until it starts XD

Do you think that next semester will be a bit of a shock for you with the workload increase, or do you think the class switch in Sept-Oct helped you get used to that? I guess you can't really say until it starts XD

Yeah, I can't. basically, we are going to have the same course load that we had spread from june-now jam packed into jan-may. so it will be an adjustment.

Yeah, I can't. basically, we are going to have the same course load that we had spread from june-now jam packed into jan-may. so it will be an adjustment.

Thanks for your input :) hope next semester goes well!

First of all, congrats!

My curriculum sounds like the opposite of @rockatiel 's - we have no free time as first years (we have class from 8-5 most days with a 1 hr lunch break, except Thursdays, when we start at 9), but we get more as we move through the curriculum.

Studying: I was always a textbook fanatic in undergrad and hand wrote my notes. I learned really quickly in vet school that I wasn't going to be able to keep up studying the way I had before. I bought a couple of textbooks, but I don't think I've opened any of them. The profs provide us with the information we need to know, and we don't have a ton of extra time to read the textbooks. I'm not planning on buying any next semester.

I try to make a pretty rigid study schedule and stick to it so that I have time for other things (like having a life). I figured out really quickly which subjects I needed to spend more time on - anatomy and biochem - and so I know I need to block out more time for those classes. It's really dependent on knowing what you're good at; I'm not a visual learner, so I knew I'd struggle more with anatomy. Having said that, it is so important to take nights off sometimes to recharge.

Make sure you enjoy your summer. Don't try to pre-study. I did and it was a waste of time because when you're getting information thrown at you as fast as you do in vet school, you have to figure out new ways to retain the information anyway. I'm doing better academically in vet school than I did in most of undergrad because I had to figure out how to study efficiently.

Last edited:
If you're like most vet students, you'll find very quickly that whatever study methods and habits you had in undergrad just won't work in vet school because there is too much information and too little time. Most of my class definitely had to "relearn" how to study. I've been experimenting with different methods but haven't found anything concrete that seems to work well with the sheer volume. I do find myself having to cram a lot more than in undergrad; once the tests start coming, they really don't stop until the end, so it does eventually become a matter of studying test to test. Very much like finals week in undergrad, but... basically all the time. At least that's been my experience.

I remember seeing that thread around, too; you could use the search function to find it.

In terms of free time, that's going to differ depending on the school, I think. Unlike Rocky, I don't feel like we were particularly eased in. We've been in 8 classes all semester with the only consistent break being 1 hour at noon for lunch (though we did have longer breaks whenever clinical foundations lab gets cancelled, which did happen sometimes because the class schedule was contingent on what was going on in third year junior surgery) and, granted, some of those classes are definitely less intense than others. This semester we did get out a bit earlier on Wednesdays and Fridays---but even then, it's a difference of 3 PM vs 5 PM.

It can difficult to motivate yourself to stay up and study when you get home after spending anywhere from 8-10 hours in class and you have so much information to sift through. It does help to have and stick to a definitive study schedule for the hard classes. Block out at least 1-2 hours at a time for your difficult classes (anatomy, histo, etc.); for easier ones or ones where there isn't as much material covered on tests, you could definitely get away with studying less frequently. Do take at least a day for yourself, though. You need to destress in some way or you'll go insane.

I bought most (maybe all?) of the required textbooks and a couple of the recommended ones for my first semester and used each maybe a few times...? I don't know if they particularly worth spending the money on outside of Big Millers, which I actually did utilize quite a bit. I'm only planning to buy the neuroanatomy and large animal anatomy books this next semester. Like Rocky said, as you progress further in, you'll get a better feel of which books you actually need and, often, upperclassmen will let you know which ones are truly necessary. Many will also sell you their books at greatly reduced rates, so keep that in mind.

EDIT: Oh, and I completely agree with supershorty... enjoy your summer. Don't try to pre-study. Seriously. Don't. I know you didn't mention it, but there are always people who ask about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Money stuff: I only bought one of the textbooks (dissection guide for anatomy lab). Each school is different but here the professor's notes and lecture slides are all we need for the test. So there was no reason for me to spend the money on textbooks I wouldn't use. And speaking of money, make a budget and try to stick to it. Anything you can do to decrease your spending and therefore decrease your debt!

Wellness stuff: My biggest piece of advice is to make time for yourself. Eat well, sleep well, get some exercise, spend time with friends. Do stuff you enjoy, and don't spend every waking minute studying. You will feel better, so you'll learn better. Take advantage of all of the experiences that being in vet school has to offer! I joined a bunch of clubs, went to rounds, joined various on call emergency teams, etc. Don't get so bogged down in the didactic part of it that you forget what you're here for. Going along with this, enjoy whatever time you have off before school! Don't worry about getting books ahead of time and trying to study or whatever. It's a waste of time when you should be relaxing and recharging.

Study stuff: I hesitate to give study tips because I rarely follow my own advice - I'm a big time procrastinator and time waster, and it usually ends up working fine for me, but I don't recommend it, especially if you're susceptible to stress-related breakdowns. But in an ideal world, I would do what I did at the beginning of the semester - briefly (very, very briefly) review the topics for the next day's lectures, go to class, take notes on the powerpoints (I use my tablet for this, all the powerpoints are provided somewhere online). Take an exercise break when I got home, then start making notecards based on my powerpoints - I use Anki, but I don't stick to the review schedule it provides because it just ends up being too much each day, so really you could use Quizlet or whatever if you want to go this route. You could even just type up an outline (I started doing this when making notecards became too much effort for my slacker soul). I would stop all studying a half hour to an hour before bed, and tried to get 7-7.5 hours of sleep. I would do this each weekday except Friday, that was my night off. Then Saturday I would make whatever notecards I hadn't gotten to during the week, and Sunday I would review all of them (I'd still have time for fun on the weekend too). A week before the exam I would start running through all the notecards for that exam again - split whatever I had to get through into 6 chunks, study one chunk each night, and then the last night before the exam do a big review. That worked really well for me before I started slacking. Old habits die hard, and I've been a procrastinator for years. I won't detail my study methods for the last month or so, but suffice it to say there was a lot of cramming involved.

Schedule stuff: Our schedules here are a little wacky, so no consistent gaps, but usually we had lecture from 8 to noon every day, and then either had lab in the afternoon until 5, or had the afternoon off. Usually we had 1-2 afternoons off a week. So really if you manage your time well, you can keep up with the work and give yourself time off as well. Even if you're bad at time management like I am, you can write 50,000 words of a novel in a month and somehow still manage to do well in all your classes (but I don't recommend it). I'm almost certain I wouldn't have been able to do that in 2nd year, from what I've heard about their schedule - lectures from 8 to 5 most days :hungover:

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for some great advice! I hope I can follow most of it when I start next year.

Question though - Is it possible to work while in school? I mean, I've been saving money as soon I as I opened my first checking account, but of course that isn't near enough. How do students balance everything?

Make sure you enjoy your summer. Don't try to pre-study. I did and it was a waste of time because when you're getting information thrown at you as fast as you do in vet school, you have to figure out new ways to retain the information anyway. I'm doing better academically in vet school than I did in most of undergrad because I had to figure out how to study efficiently.
This! I didn't study one bit the summer before vet school and I don't regret it at all. I was out of school for two years between undergrad and vet school, but it wasn't a huge adjustment for me being back in classes. Getting used to the volume of material is rough, but I think that's the case for everybody. If you feel the need to do something productive with your summer, work on getting the rest of your life under control -- develop a workout routine if you don't have one already, learn to cook/do meal-prep, clean out your closet and try to downsize some if you'll be moving for school, etc. Taking care of cooking/cleaning/exercise/other general adult things will become SO much harder once school starts. Put all of your bills that you can on auto-pay, I think LIS always recommends that and I agree.

I second the suggestions to make sure to take time for yourself, your hobbies, and hanging out with friends. If you have an SO (whether long-distance or living with you) don't forget to make time for them. Don't feel guilty about taking the occasional night off from studying, or going to bed at a reasonable hour the night before an exam rather than pulling an all-nighter. Your grades will seriously be better if you give your brain a break, get a good night's sleep, and take care of yourself. And like WZ said, don't feel guilty about making time to go shadow in the hospital, go to a club meeting/wet lab or go get hands-on experience somewhere. Those unique experiences will hopefully be what sticks with you 10 years from now, rather than random details from anatomy. I haven't done very well at going over to the hospital this semester, but I'm hoping to do that more next semester.

Here our schedule is lectures from 8 or 9 until noon, then an hour for lunch, and then afternoons are electives and labs. We get done at 4 or 5 most days, maybe earlier if it's a short lab. We don't have classes on Fridays, other than one elective that starts mid-semester and meets Friday afternoons, but the majority of our exams are on Friday mornings. The rest of Friday tends to be used for appointments, cleaning, sleeping and getting caught up on non-school stuff. Most of the time we just have one exam per week, so it's easy to focus on studying for the next upcoming test, but not really cram in the sense of waiting until the night before to start studying. Next semester's schedule is similar, but then second year switches things up (I think their tests are mostly on Wednesdays). This semester we've just had three core classes; gross anatomy, microanatomy and physiology. I had 8 classes total, but the rest were just one day a week each and all easy A's or pass/fail. Next semester we still have gross and physio, and add immunology and epidemiology. The only textbook we really needed this semester was the dissection guide, and apparently we just need the large animal dissection guide next semester too. I rented our physiology textbook from Amazon since that's been my most difficult class, but I never opened it because there just isn't time to sift through the book for the sections that are relevant to what we talked about in class.

I agree the best study methods will vary from person to person and class to class, so it's hard to figure out before you get there. I didn't have to change up my study methods too much from undergrad -- I still type out study guides for each test basically rephrasing the lectures in my own words and focusing on the stuff I don't know. I started making Quizlet sets for each test, and just making them seems to really help even if I don't go back and review the flashcards. My class has a Quizlet group set up, so I can also look at other people's flashcards. I also study at school and with other people way more than I did in undergrad. In undergrad anatomy I could get away with just reviewing the material during class time, here you pretty much HAVE to go study in the lab on your own time in order to do well.

Oh, and don't freak out if you're used to making A's and are suddenly making B's and C's on exams. It happens to everyone in vet school, and seriously, C = DVM. You'll probably need a good GPA if you want to specialize, but that doesn't mean you have to make a 4.0 right off the bat. If you're legitimately failing, there are ways to get help (go to professors' office hours, get a tutor, switch up your study methods, etc.), but don't be that person that says "omg I failed that test!!!" when you made a B.

Anyway, sorry I kind of wrote a novel, but hopefully it's helpful!

It's definitely possible, but for the most part you'll probably want to keep the hours low. I just recently started working for one of the ophthalmologists here; the pay isn't too shabby considering how low-key it is, but I generally only clock in 4-5 hours per week at this point. I do have classmates who work more than that at nearby clinics and restaurants, though. Really, it's up to whatever you can reasonably handle. Jobs at the school and/or teaching hospital are going to tend to be more flexible in terms of scheduling and working around bad test weeks or whatever, so that might be important to consider. I think it may be prudent to wait on finding a job until you're at least partway through your first semester; at that point, you'll have a better handle on the demands of school and how to juggle it with other things. Just don't overwhelm yourself right out of the gate... vet school is a major adjustment for almost everyone.

That makes sense, I'll definitely wait so I can adjust! I mean, I just couldn't imagine not working at least a little. Are jobs at the school pretty difficult to obtain? (At least that's what I figure.)

This! I didn't study one bit the summer before vet school and I don't regret it at all. I was out of school for two years between undergrad and vet school, but it wasn't a huge adjustment for me being back in classes. Getting used to the volume of material is rough, but I think that's the case for everybody. If you feel the need to do something productive with your summer, work on getting the rest of your life under control -- develop a workout routine if you don't have one already, learn to cook/do meal-prep, clean out your closet and try to downsize some if you'll be moving for school, etc. Taking care of cooking/cleaning/exercise/other general adult things will become SO much harder once school starts. Put all of your bills that you can on auto-pay, I think LIS always recommends that and I agree.

I second the suggestions to make sure to take time for yourself, your hobbies, and hanging out with friends. If you have an SO (whether long-distance or living with you) don't forget to make time for them. Don't feel guilty about taking the occasional night off from studying, or going to bed at a reasonable hour the night before an exam rather than pulling an all-nighter. Your grades will seriously be better if you give your brain a break, get a good night's sleep, and take care of yourself. And like WZ said, don't feel guilty about making time to go shadow in the hospital, go to a club meeting/wet lab or go get hands-on experience somewhere. Those unique experiences will hopefully be what sticks with you 10 years from now, rather than random details from anatomy. I haven't done very well at going over to the hospital this semester, but I'm hoping to do that more next semester.

Here our schedule is lectures from 8 or 9 until noon, then an hour for lunch, and then afternoons are electives and labs. We get done at 4 or 5 most days, maybe earlier if it's a short lab. We don't have classes on Fridays, other than one elective that starts mid-semester and meets Friday afternoons, but the majority of our exams are on Friday mornings. The rest of Friday tends to be used for appointments, cleaning, sleeping and getting caught up on non-school stuff. Most of the time we just have one exam per week, so it's easy to focus on studying for the next upcoming test, but not really cram in the sense of waiting until the night before to start studying. Next semester's schedule is similar, but then second year switches things up (I think their tests are mostly on Wednesdays). This semester we've just had three core classes; gross anatomy, microanatomy and physiology. I had 8 classes total, but the rest were just one day a week each and all easy A's or pass/fail. Next semester we still have gross and physio, and add immunology and epidemiology. The only textbook we really needed this semester was the dissection guide, and apparently we just need the large animal dissection guide next semester too. I rented our physiology textbook from Amazon since that's been my most difficult class, but I never opened it because there just isn't time to sift through the book for the sections that are relevant to what we talked about in class.

I agree the best study methods will vary from person to person and class to class, so it's hard to figure out before you get there. I didn't have to change up my study methods too much from undergrad -- I still type out study guides for each test basically rephrasing the lectures in my own words and focusing on the stuff I don't know. I started making Quizlet sets for each test, and just making them seems to really help even if I don't go back and review the flashcards. My class has a Quizlet group set up, so I can also look at other people's flashcards. I also study at school and with other people way more than I did in undergrad. In undergrad anatomy I could get away with just reviewing the material during class time, here you pretty much HAVE to go study in the lab on your own time in order to do well.

Oh, and don't freak out if you're used to making A's and are suddenly making B's and C's on exams. It happens to everyone in vet school, and seriously, C = DVM. You'll probably need a good GPA if you want to specialize, but that doesn't mean you have to make a 4.0 right off the bat. If you're legitimately failing, there are ways to get help (go to professors' office hours, get a tutor, switch up your study methods, etc.), but don't be that person that says "omg I failed that test!!!" when you made a B.

Anyway, sorry I kind of wrote a novel, but hopefully it's helpful!

It's all very helpful! As much research as I've done, I still appreciate hearing everyone's personal experiences. I'm a bit worried about my study habits because I've been out of school for about a year now, and it will be close to two by the time I start.

It's all very helpful! As much research as I've done, I still appreciate hearing everyone's personal experiences. I'm a bit worried about my study habits because I've been out of school for about a year now, and it will be close to two by the time I start.

I was out of school for 3 years before starting vet school and didn't find that it was hard to get back into a productive study routine. If you know how you learned best during undergrad, you'll be able to figure out the best way to study for vet school pretty quickly.

Edit: I didn't work during first semester, but I have a number of friends who did and are doing fine. I'm picking up a job starting over winter break and continuing through the semester in our large animal hospital, but that will only be 8-10 hours a week.

Last edited:
Thank you all for some great advice! I hope I can follow most of it when I start next year.

Question though - Is it possible to work while in school? I mean, I've been saving money as soon I as I opened my first checking account, but of course that isn't near enough. How do students balance everything?
Various jobs my classmates/friends have: Uber driver, surgical/radiology assistant (on call at ANY hour of the night, even before exams sometimes...), corporate reps (not so much a 'job'), reception desk of teaching hospital, on call for clin path, medical records for teaching hospital, library desk, delivery driver, one day/week at a local clinic, and more.

There are also plenty that don't have income and choose to live off of loans 100%.

I would hold off and see how you handle things first semester, and then consider working. I do have a couple classmates who work a few hours a week though, so it is doable depending on your schedule. One of them basically kept her Banfield job and just cut her hours down to just a couple shifts a week. But you're never going to make enough to make a huge dent in your expenses, there just isn't enough time.

At Oregon, the first year schedule sucks a lot. There is only one girl in my class who works 5 hours on saturdays. A fair number of second years work though. The schedule is more lenient then, but classes do get more difficult. There are even jobs specifically for second years here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile