fischer projection converting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlanta213

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The picture is attached.

I do not know how to convert those each other!

D is the correct conversion by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 354
You just have to compare R,S configuration for each one. All of the substituents are the same, so they can write it any way that they want, but th configurations have to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the last choice both have R,R configuration. Draw it out and you will see.

is there a faster way of doing this, than going through the R/S of each one?

I don't see how its R,R either...:confused:
Hey Klutzy, can you draw it out somehow to explain it and while you are at it could you also draw out what the correct projections of the other ones would be

Thanks a ton!!

Members don't see this ad :)
there are at least 3 ways of looking and determining R/S configs

i hated the way the textbook taught me (switching atoms here and there)

i just try to visualize (think of the PATs :D) it in 3D image in reference to the lowest priority.

If lowest priority is out of the page (solid arrow), look at the other 3, and if they go 1-2-3 in clockwise manner, reverse that and answer should be S.

If lowest priority is into the page (dashed arrow), look at the other 3 in the same manner, but if they go 1-2-3 in clockwise manner (R), don't reverse and answer should be R (as it is).

hope this helps.

The picture is attached.

This is a tricky one but you jjust have to remeber that a sigma bond can rotate giving you different conformations all you have to do is make sure you put the Br and the F on the same plane and move from there. look if you take the Br, and drag it down to be anti to the F (draw the newman projection if you dont see it) i kno im not being very clear, but you can move that Br, just bring it down. ill do this on paint to make it clearer.

This is a tricky one but you jjust have to remeber that a sigma bond can rotate giving you different conformations all you have to do is make sure you put the Br and the F on the same plane and move from there. look if you take the Br, and drag it down to be anti to the F (draw the newman projection if you dont see it) i kno im not being very clear, but you can move that Br, just bring it down. ill do this on paint to make it clearer.

thank you because I donot see it either. It will be a very good help:)

The picture is attached.

Now if you look at the paint attachment ull see that i turned the bond down about 60degrees giving the picture that u will see int he document and that is when u do the fisher projection. let me kno if i wasnt clear.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    17.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 138
Now if you look at the paint attachment ull see that i turned the bond down about 60degrees giving the picture that u will see int he document and that is when u do the fisher projection. let me kno if i wasnt clear.

Sorry guys lol, i just realized how crappy my drawing was. let me know if you still dont get it and ill put together a good tutorial, but aht will take a little bit of time. let me kno if you dont see it.

crap. now I get R, R when I look at the one on the right...
eep

I agree with Contach, I'm getting R,R for the one on the right, but I'm having some trouble with the one on the left. can someone explain?

Last edited:

you said you drag the BR but you drag the D in your picture????

also why Br and the F on the same plane, will you tell the the rules please?

For the right molecule I attached a drawing of it according to the Fischer projection. If you look at both chiral carbons, they are both R,R. For the left molecule, just like others already mentioned, you also get R,R. So D is the correct projection.

Attachments

• tom.jpg
    tom.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 110
I hope this clears up any misunderstandings. Im sorry for the crappy drawing for the fisher projection i just didnt know how to align it properly in chem sketch. But let me know if you dont get it. :cool:

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings. Im sorry for the crappy drawing for the fisher projection i just didnt know how to align it properly in chem sketch. But let me know if you dont get it. :cool:

LOL sorry guys, here is the attachment.

Attachments

• FIsher.doc
    32 KB · Views: 141