Fisher Projection Stereochemistry

Started by xatlasb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xatlasb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always seem to get these problems wrong....

Can someone walk me through how to do this question?

Granted I couldn't take a screenshot of the entire question since it didn't fit on my screen, but I'd really appreciate it if you could go through and label with R and S for each of the stereocenters and how you got the answer.

Note: The correct answer is D, which is the one that got cut off. So was hoping you could properly label A, B, and C (they are given incorrectly on the question).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/screenshot20130427at110.png/
 
How come you are assigning the groups with the N as the highest priority for the top part of the Fisher projections? I thought that priority was assigned based on atomic number, and the last I checked, Carbon has a larger atomic number than Nitrogen?
 
How come you are assigning the groups with the N as the highest priority for the top part of the Fisher projections? I thought that priority was assigned based on atomic number, and the last I checked, Carbon has a larger atomic number than Nitrogen?

You are correct in that you base it on the atomic number. However, Carbon is atomic # 6 while Nitrogen is atomic # 7!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh wow, I feel so stupid right now. Clearly I've been studying WAY too long for the night that I've forgotten my atomic number orders....

That's right, since N is more EN than C....

Okay, it's beditme.

Thanks again for the tutorial!! I'll definitely look at it again tomorrow morning when my brain is functioning at a higher level.