"Fit" v. Geography

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutshell

DR. ACULA
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the rank order deadline approaches I am faced with the difficult task of deciding the order of my top 2 programs. I, along with my spouse's help, have been over and over again all the variables and I seem to not necessarily be making any headway in reaching a decision. All other variables aside, the heart of the matter for me is "fit" v. geography.

Program 1:
- got a better sense of fitting in
- strong psychoanalytic influence of department, which I like
- location: while normally it wouldn't be considered a detractor (it's a pretty great place) I absolutely love the geography of Program 2
- job opportunities for spouse more limited than Program 2

Program 2:
- didn't get as much of the 'fit' feeling, but certainly not turned off
- less psychoanalytic influence but plenty of opportunities to seek it out in the community (supervision, etc.)
- location: absolutely love it! where I can see myself settling down in the long term, BONUS: I have family who I am very close to here
- many more job opportunities for my spouse

I'm curious if any of you faced a similar situation when matching. I'm not looking for answers, just some different perspectives to assist me in sorting this out. In a way I feel that either decision is the 'right' one, I just want to make the best 'right' choice.

Thanks!
NS

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for happy spouse:love:, training where you hope to practice, and available extended family nearby.
(I chose my residency contrary to each of these things, and was happily able to redeem myself after the training was complete...but the first year especially was really tough.:()

I had a similar situation, and I chose geography. I really love my med school's psych residency program. I actually think it would be the perfect program for me - lots of emphasis on the things I'm most interested in. And I've loved living in Chicago these past 4 years. The cost of living is way better here than NYC (which is where I'm looking to move), and if we stayed, we could buy a condo this year and have a baby during residency without money being a big problem. Very tempting.

In the end though, I really want to move back to the East Coast and live near my family. I've lived all around the country for 10+ years now, and it just feels like time to go back. Plus, that is where I want to be long term, and I've been told it's smart to train in the area you want to practice because it's easier to get a job, recruit patients, etc once you already have connections. That was a big factor, but a lot of it came down to personal reasons - in the end, I felt that if I stayed in Chicago, I would regret it and wish I had moved back East for four years.

Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I appreciate it! Ultimately the match will have its way with me. And I do believe that however it works out, it'll be for the best. No regrets!

NS

I asked a similar question a few months ago when it came time to rank fellowships, and OPD gave me the same excellent advice he gave you above: happy family trumps all. I still have pangs over some of the other program's attractions, but I know we made the right decision (esp since it's where we want to be, probably forever). Good luck!

And FWIW, I was in a similar dilemma for residency, and chose the place that made "more sense" rather than the place we wanted to be, and have regretted it for four years.

Ha! Thanks for getting right to the point:)

Also, fiatslug, your post especially hits home. I've been referring to Program 1 as the one that "makes the most sense".

Thanks everyone.

NS

hey nutshell,

I just finished my certifying my rank list and, I imagine, a similar conversation with my wife. Make momma happy and you'll be much better off.

Good luck!

master of none

Thanks again for the wise advice.

In case you were curious :), after (even more) consideration I did decide to rank program #2 as my #1. Come on match day! I'm ready to start making definite plans...

NS

Can't give you good advice because "fit" between programs goes on various degrees. Don't know the degree. Same goes for geography.

If it came to Syracuse or UC San Diego I'd choose UCSD, over several factors but those are the 2 biggest extremes (nothing for or against either program, I'm just talking climate--I lived in Syracuse for 2 years & couldn't stand the weather).

But from what I'm "getting" from your post I'd pick #2.

IMHO-the bottom line in most programs is the resident. Yes, some programs will be better or worse for some things, but all things being equal (not including extreme cases such as a very toxic program or a program with the highest end research facilities), the biggest factor is the resident. If that resident exploits his/her oppurtunities in the program, that resident will excel. Happiness is a big factor in that consideration.

Is anyone else starting to wonder if this "fit" this is overrated, or at very least, something that can really be known at all? Perhaps I'm over-thinking the situation, but I find myself wondering if my gut feeling was based more on the weather or my dinner entree or the like?

It's basically like getting married after one sloppy drunken night in Vegas (with a divorce clause built in at 4 years). You know that your new spouse a) looks good after 3 martinis, b) made you laugh at least once, and c) can't hold liquor.

But that's a lot better than someone who's ugly, boring, and drinks you under the table.

Is anyone else starting to wonder if this "fit" this is overrated, or at very least, something that can really be known at all? Perhaps I'm over-thinking the situation, but I find myself wondering if my gut feeling was based more on the weather or my dinner entree or the like?

It's basically like getting married after one sloppy drunken night in Vegas (with a divorce clause built in at 4 years). You know that your new spouse a) looks good after 3 martinis, b) made you laugh at least once, and c) can't hold liquor.

But that's a lot better than someone who's ugly, boring, and drinks you under the table.

The kid's got a way with words...rank him high!
:thumbup: