FITREP

Started by RD88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RD88

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good day to all!

Recently, I was promoted to O-4, and I would like to begin planning for my promotion to O-5. My current position is chief of a small clinic. Since obtaining a higher leadership position at my current command is very challenging, I would like to concentrate on my clinical responsibilities for the first few years.
Just curious if it would be prudent for me to put off worrying about getting a higher leadership position until I am close to in zone for promotion. Despite being in a higher leadership position and performing well, I might only be permitted to receive a P (promotable, not MP/EP) for the first 2-3 years, correct? Does it matter if I don't receive competitive EP FITREPs for the first 2-3 years? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Thank you; I do understand. I will only receive one FITREP from the current command after I have been pinned on O-4, and if I extend for an additional year, I will only receive two FITREPs overall. Is it feasible to break out and get a competitive MP/EP on the 1st/2nd FITREP in a large command, even if you are fortunate to serve in higher leadership role and perform well?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you; I do understand. I will only receive one FITREP from the current command after I have been pinned on O-4, and if I extend for an additional year, I will only receive two FITREPs overall. Is it feasible to break out and get a competitive MP/EP on the 1st/2nd FITREP in a large command, even if you are fortunate to serve in higher leadership role and perform well?
I think it’s feasible if your FITREP duties objectively narrate accomplishments with data ($ saved, clinic throughput improved, wait times reduced, etc.) in an area significant to the command’s primary mission. Ask for a high visibility role which can fully demonstrate your leadership potential of performing well at the next higher rank. Complete your PME, a common tie-breaker.

The promotion board will see a chronological matrix of your P/MP/EP marks. It’s OK to work your way up to EP as a new promote; you don’t want to slide backwards at the same command with the same rater.