FIU HWCOM VS MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studiousstudenttt

Reaction score
FIU HWCOM
Pros
  • Diversity
  • NHelp Program
  • Seems to be growing in the right direction with a new improved curriculum P/F
  • New City / Weather (spent all of my life in the Midwest and would love to have study breaks outside and not have to hibernate, important for my own mental health)
Cons
  • ~70k tuition, the overall cost of living in Miami Area is high
  • Have seen some of the horror stories of faculty (mafia post) and wasn't sure if they cleaned up their act
MCW
Pros
  • Recognized established program
  • P/F
  • Research and great connection to the hospital systems
  • Went to undergrad in the area so I know the city well and have a good support system
Cons
  • Cold Weather (lol)
  • Early Start Date (had a lot of travel plans and a family reunion/wedding that I would have to miss)

Summary: Would love any helpful insight. The A to MCW was just recently received so I have to act swiftly on a decision. For the last month, FIU was my only option so I was pretty set on moving there and excited to see a new part of the country and be in warm weather, but ofc I know MCW is a great program. I'm grateful to have this decision just wanted some input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna make the case for FIU because they also have some respectable hospitals with research that I would argue are on MCW's level- that's the tiebreaker. I know FIU has the past liabilities, but I'm very hopeful they've figured that out by now and are making progress on improving things. Someone please chime in if that is not the case. Yeah MCW is a bit more established, but just by name alone and the fact it has been around nearly two decades gives credit in that category.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you get in-state tuition in Florida after the 1st year? If so, then to me it comes down to where you want to live. I don't know the total COA for MCW vs. FIU, but if even with OOS tuition it is close, then it comes down to where you want to live. Good luck with your decision! In either case, you're in a great spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to MCW and don’t look back. FIU is riddled with admin issues and is apparently run like a mafia.

Go to MCW and don’t look back. FIU is riddled with admin issues and is apparently run like a mafia.
You're just repeating a reddit post as opposed to actually knowing what you're talking about. I will be attending FIU this fall and everyone seems to be great. Everyone has their own experience and I can appreciate that, but the vast majority have had a positive experience and there's an awesome match list equivalent to MCW. Frankly, medical school is hard and some people have a difficult time adjusting. Please stick to talking about TAMU (i.e. what you know) instead of bad mouthing schools and programs you know nothing about.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a few friends at both MCW and FIU. I’ll be honest and say only one of the four-plus people I know who attend FIU has had slight abrasive issues with the administration once, nothing crazy in the overall sense, but still caught them a bit off-guard since it didn’t seem like an issue at the time initially. I was told that the whole “mafia” or “snitching on other students” culture is not really a thing at FIU anymore, but rather the administration can be odd at a few times throughout the year, which is not relatively a big deal. Unfortunately, a number of medical schools usually have administration problems here and there so you should always be aware of not causing any issues or misunderstandings regardless of where you go.

FIU and MCW will both allow you to match competitively and are great schools. Choose the one that’ll riddle you with the least amount of debt (look into the in-state tuition policy of FIU and email them to ask) and provides a good support system. With the established nature and support system around you, MCW appears to be slightly more favorable, but if FIU gives you in-state tuition after a year, that’s very tempting as well!

You're just repeating a reddit post as opposed to actually knowing what you're talking about. I will be attending FIU this fall and everyone seems to be great. Everyone has their own experience and I can appreciate that, but the vast majority have had a positive experience and there's an awesome match list equivalent to MCW. Frankly, medical school is hard and some people have a difficult time adjusting. Please stick to talking about TAMU (i.e. what you know) instead of bad mouthing schools and programs you know nothing about.
Interestingly enough, I only commented on this thread because TAMU does have a connection to FIU, our new dean of admissions is from FIU, and well, you may want to look into the circumstances surrounding him leaving FIU literally at the end of 2021. I’m not bad mouthing, I’m legitimately bringing up admin issues that, objectively speaking, are a lot more concerning than the run-of-the-mill problems you would see at every medical school.

OP would be wise to put themselves in a position where they can avoid any problems if a history of problems exists at a school. That isn’t bad advice to give.

• Dislike
I agree that the money may make your decision for you, and if FIU refuses to give you in-state tuition, I would choose MCW in a heartbeat. There’s no way you could convince me to pay more and move away from family and friends for a less reputable school with few home residency programs and fewer research opportunities. Makes no sense.

Reactions: 3 users