FIU vs SLU (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravioli2413

Reaction score
Hey y'all! Please help me decide between FIU and SLU. I am still WL'ed at SLU but I am considering sending a letter of intent. I am interested in pursuing a competitive speciality such as integrated CT surgery, integrated vascular surgery or IM --> cardio. I have done cardiology research in undergrad and would like to continue this in medical school. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you!

FIU
Pros
  • I am IS so COA would be around $230K over 4 years. I also heard FIU is fairly generous with scholarship/aid
  • P/F grading
  • Class size is smaller than SLU so may be able to connect with professors and attendings more
  • Rotation sites in large regional South Florida hospitals. I hope to practice in South Florida so connections could come clutch here
  • Historically, FIU grads matched into great programs but may change due to Step 1 going P/F...
  • Miami >>>> St. Louis + my family lives in Ft. Lauderdale so support system!
Cons
  • Low tier
  • Low research funding, read that it may difficult to find research, and there are no cardio based research initiatives that I could find on their website
  • Step 1 going P/F could impact match rates into competitive programs
  • Heard that the NeighborhoodHELP program is not all that great
  • Miami is a more expensive place to live than St. Louis

SLU
Pros
  • New hospital + has a strong teaching hospital
  • Established program and university
  • Ranked higher than FIU. Usually I would not care but Step 1 going P/F got me feeling some type of way
  • P/F
  • 1.5 pre-clinicals
  • Larger emphasis on research than FIU + WashU close by
Cons
  • COA would be around $300K over 4 years
  • St. Louis <<< Miami + it is cold
  • I would be away from family
  • Solid match list but I did not see many people match into FL (this isn't a super big deal to me though)

These pros/cons are not perfect so feel free to add any pertinent information I should have to help me make a decision! Again, thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'd say FIU has the clear lead here due to location + cost. If it matches people regularly into the specialties you are interested in, I don't see the conundrum. Step 1 going pass fail won't get rid of all the other metrics (step 2, LORs, research etc.)

It often comes down to the student. As long as the school has a decently strong home department and a track record of those matches, you should be fine. To match into something like CT Surgery or Vascular you need to put in the work, get high scores, make connections at home department and do aways etc. You also always have the ability to go through the general surgery pathway too.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry about tier of either school, both matched well into surgery specialties and internal medicine. I would first see if SLU is receptive to letter of intents. I agree with Banco that familiarity with FIU could be to your advantage

Reactions: 1 user