Flash cards: Pharm, Path, and Micro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedLover25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which set of flash cards did you use for each of these subjects, what did you like about the set you used, what did you NOT like about the set you used?

I go to a caribbean school, so it's difficult to just say "oh i don't like this set, i'll return it and get set X instead" because it takes too long for things to come in and it'd be too expensive to just buy every set of flash cards for every subject.

Thanks in advance :)

Series I have heard of:
BRS
Lange
Pharmcards, Microcards, Pathcards
PharMnemonics

Members don't see this ad.

Pharm - BRS cards are very good. I used those for my pharm board exam and they were great. It's almost like they were made specifically from students "remembering" what was asked on boards...

Path - I have BRS cards and I would not recommend them. I eventually purchased the Lange cards. Lange is definitely better. Can't speak for Pathcards.

Micro - Haven't used any.

I really like BRS for pharm and micro - they have just the right amount of info for a flashcard.

I agree with the above poster, BRS path is pretty much worthless.

I have heard good things about Lange path, but I am not a big fan of such details on flashcards.

Keep in mind you can always electronically make your own cards if you don't find something you like...and I guess if you have the time

So the consensus is the BRS Pharmacology cards are superior to the "Pharmcards" (LWW by Johanssen & Sabatine)? I hear the later are more detailed (good for class) but the BRS might be more board specific? Only hesitation is that the only edition of BRS are from 2004- won't account for the new drugs out there, but I guess FA could supplement. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I heard today that the BRS Micro cards are very useful as well. Kinda like BRS pharm, with just enough basic info on each card to cover the classic stuff that is tested.

The MicroCards looked too dense from just a quick glance.

I wouldn't worry too much about the newer drugs not being on the BRS pharm cards btw, especially if you're using FA also.

I really like BRS pharm and micro cards (but I haven't taken the exam yet... prepping right now). BRS path is good for an overview but is not detailed enough IMHO... I'm using Rapid Review for path.

I liked the Lange series of cards. If you're going by the "Goldilocks" criterion, The 'cards' series (microcards, pharmcards, pathcards) are too dense with information, and BRS is too light on information. The Lange series split the difference nicely and was "just right" as it were. Plus I liked the sample case on the front side of the card, which illustrated the "classic" scenario for each case which is very helpful for playing keyword bingo on the boards ("Chinese food?? That's B. Cereus!!").

thanks for the input.

i ended up picking up BRS pharm cards and my gf picked up the Lange pharm cards (starting pharm this semester).

I felt very weak with micro (horrible horrible teacher...which doesn't relinquish my responsibility when i took the course but i think we can all agree that a good teacher can definitely make a difference in how you learn and integrate material)....so i went with Microcards. I want to do 1-5 cards at night of micro just so when it gets time to review for the step i'm not learning stuff for the first time.

thanks again for the responses. I wish my classmates were as helpful as SDN proves to be :)