Flexible Away Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrVince

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with setting up away rotations that don't line up with the dates on VSAS? The rotations at my school are on a different schedule than most of what i see on VSAS and i am not sure i can squeeze in another away unless a program is able to do a 4 week block that differs from what they have listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience with setting up away rotations that don't line up with the dates on VSAS? The rotations at my school are on a different schedule than most of what i see on VSAS and i am not sure i can squeeze in another away unless a program is able to do a 4 week block that differs from what they have listed.

This is a common challenge in scheduling away rotations. If you can, I think it's best to schedule a flexible/splittable rotation at home that will allow you to do the away rotation on the other place's schedule. A research block would work well, but, at least at my school, most 4th year clinical rotations are more accommodating than you'd think. Either way, I think it's easier and more polite to mess with your school's schedule and not inconvenience the place you're visiting.

My experience was that the programs that used VSAS were pretty inflexible, while the ones that did not use VSAS were more flexible about these things. I just sent e-mails to coordinators at the places I wanted to rotate when I was a fourth year and found the places that could work with my schedule. YMMV.

I am current resident at UC Irvine. UC Irvine has flexible away rotations and is on VSAS. If you email the program coordinator Hooman Nouri [email protected] he often can work with you to schedule it around your schedule. Also length of rotation can be 1-4 weeks without a problem. Excellent experience in Brachytherapy. Especially strong in Gyn Oncology, Breast, CNS and GI oncology. NCI designated cancer center with many RTOG and GOG trials currently accruing. Recruiting for 1 resident for this year.