FlexMed (Icahn) vs Applying during the Regular Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGMU234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've recently been admitted into the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai through the FlexMed Program, and although I am extremely grateful for this opportunity I am unsure about committing this early. Due to the pandemic, I did not get the chance to visit the school or even talk to a lot of students there. I genuinely liked the school when I applied and the fact that the program would allow me to explore my other interests was very important to me. Nevertheless, my school will be going virtual next year so the projects I wanted to work on instead of studying for the MCAT/fulfilling pre-med requirements have more or less been cancelled. Lastly, and more importantly, I am concerned about whether or not I will even be able to afford Icahn. My parents are pushing me to apply during the regular cycle because at least then we would be able to compare the offers of different schools and determine which medical schools we could afford. So I was wondering

1- Is it reasonable to have doubts?
2- What would be the repercussions if I do not accept Icahn's offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I've recently been admitted into the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai through the FlexMed Program, and although I am extremely grateful for this opportunity I am unsure about committing this early. Due to the pandemic, I did not get the chance to visit the school or even talk to a lot of students there. I genuinely liked the school when I applied and the fact that the program would allow me to explore my other interests was very important to me. Nevertheless, my school will be going virtual next year so the projects I wanted to work on instead of studying for the MCAT/fulfilling pre-med requirements have more or less been cancelled. Lastly, and more importantly, I am concerned about whether or not I will even be able to afford Icahn. My parents are pushing me to apply during the regular cycle because at least then we would be able to compare the offers of different schools and determine which medical schools we could afford. So I was wondering

1- Is it reasonable to have doubts?
2- What would be the repercussions if I do not accept Icahn's offer?

It’s reasonable to have doubts...but it’s rare to gain multiple acceptances and rare to be lucky enough for one of the acceptances to offer significant financial aid/scholarship.

worst case scenario if you don’t take the flex med program is you don’t get in anywhere (outcome for the majority of applicants)

Reactions: 1 user
There arent any repercussions to not accepting Sinai but you wont be allowed to apply out and keep your spot so thats the risk you have to take if you think you can crush the MCAT.

Will you have considerable undergraduate debt? I was under the impression that Icahn gave reasonable amounts of aid. Maybe you should talk to the financial aid deparment to see if they can give you some estimates of what you can expect to pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sinai famously does not give great aid, even considering their 75k debt cap for a percentage of students, but honestly, it is not worth the emotional carnage that is the MCAT and application cycle. There is a chance that you qualify for the 75 k debt cap or that their aid will improve. Sinai is a fantastic program and I promise you that there will be a point during MCAT prep or the application cycle when you will regret giving up the opportunity. Personally, I think people come out stronger and more self-aware from the cycle and flex med doesn't give them that. I do wonder if the flexmed students end up doing a little worse on average on the boards or in the match process than the other Sinai students because they did not have the same gut-wrenching experience.

Reactions: 6 users
Really, you didn’t provide enough info to lend an opinion.
Barring eligibility for financial aid / EFC, and expectations for mcat, it is hard to weigh your chances for acceptance to a T15 school that might be more generous with need based Fin aid. Most schools outside the T20 don’t offer much need based fin aid. So, for hopes for need-based fin aid at a T15 school you would need to be an Elite candidate with 97+ percentile to get in for consideration. Merit aid also tends to be available at a big handful of the T20 schools as well.

So, the Sinai Acceptance is a Big Deal to avoid the grueling mcat studying, exam, application and interview process. That is unless you Strongly believe you’ll graduate with >3.85 gpa and 98percentile mcat (needed for acceptance and merit consideration at T20s) AND / OR will qualify for need-based fin aid (at a T20’s generous school).

You got accepted to a top 20 school and can avoid the MCAT while also avoiding the grueling cycle and high cost of medschool apps?? Take the A friend, seriously

Reactions: 5 users
A T20 acceptance and no MCAT, no application process? This is a gift my friend.

Reactions: 1 users
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also applying for it next cycle.