Flight Surgeons: ADHD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a medical student asking me about joining milmed to be a flight surgeon. They started taking prescribed stimulants after the first year of medical school. I know joining milmed probably wouldn't be an issue if they stopped the medications but do they have any chance at becoming a flight surgeon? I imagine the flight physical would make the whole waiver process much more difficult.

Told them to be honest and forthright on any medical forms they fill out but they were hoping for some more insight before they officially declare anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Have him check out chapter 2 and chapter 3 of AR 40-501. Chapter 2 is the inital appointment or reappointment and chapter 3 pertains to flight surgeons.

chapter 2 says
2–27. Learning, psychiatric and behavioral disorders

a.

Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s)

(315) does not meet the standard, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been

no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months.

b.

Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects (315) secondary to organic or functional mental

disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, do not meet the standard.

Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of

academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.