Flights that arrive late the night before your morning interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amph119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I can't sleep on the plane. I don't know why, I just never have been able to. That being said, I'm about to book a flight that arrive at 11:15 PM the night before my interview day. I run pretty well on little sleep.

However, arriving at 11:15 means I'm out of the airport at 11:45 and at where I will be staying (which if it is a student host may be too late to arrive, too) and in bed/on a couch/whatever by like 1 am at best. My interview the next day would require me to be up at, assuming time for dressing up and eating, etc, about 7.

Any advice? Should I try to find a better flight? As of right now, I can't find anything else that works that doesn't cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Members don't see this ad.

This happened to me on one of my interviews. I arrived at the hotel at about 12:15 am and had to get up in a few hours to shower, dress up, and go interview.

I would advice that you change a flight if this school is a place you are VERY interested in attending. Otherwise it might not worth the money

For me, the school that this happened with was a safety school and I had already had 4-5 interviews under my belt at the time, so I didn't worry too much. It all depends on how important this interview is for you and how confident you feel about your performances affecting your chances here.

1 bad night of sleep probably won't screw you up too bad. However, this can be a tough time of year to travel due to the weather that is common in many of the major hubs. Depending on where you're going, you're not giving yourself much of a buffer. That's what I would be more concerned about than not sleeping well for one night.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know you function very well on little sleep, then do it. Otherwise, you may consider rebooking your flight. Although it seems like a lot of money right now, it's a small drop in the bucket compared to say, reapplying. My worst interview was after getting little sleep when I stayed with friends. At another interview, there was a person who had taken a red-eye and looked like he was barely awake. As another poster said, there is also the very common problem of delays. Do whatever will leave you relaxed and confident the morning of the interview, not tired and frazzled.

If you're anything like me, you won't be able to sleep the night before an interview anyways due to the stress! It would really depend on just how much more earlier tickets were for me...

First off, I can't sleep on the plane. I don't know why, I just never have been able to. That being said, I'm about to book a flight that arrive at 11:15 PM the night before my interview day. I run pretty well on little sleep.

However, arriving at 11:15 means I'm out of the airport at 11:45 and at where I will be staying (which if it is a student host may be too late to arrive, too) and in bed/on a couch/whatever by like 1 am at best. My interview the next day would require me to be up at, assuming time for dressing up and eating, etc, about 7.

Any advice? Should I try to find a better flight? As of right now, I can't find anything else that works that doesn't cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

2 bigger problems (than lack of sleep) you should worry about are 1) delayed/cancelled flight and 2) lost luggage than has your interview clothes...

I would schedule an earlier arrival.

I would not leave anything to chance that I can control when it comes to interviews...these are too important to let them get screwed up by late arriving flights that could easily turn into cancelled flights...jeez, what a nightmare...

I think everyone should be advised to find a way to put their interview clothing in a carry-on.

i bought a skyroll for that at men's warehouse.....plus i plan on wearing decent clothes on the plane just in case........the rest is out of our control sadly....i know we premeds absolutely hate being out of control :mad:

A decent number of airlines will let you fly standby on earlier flights for free. Book the late flight, go to the airport, and try to catch an earlier flight. Of course, you kind of need a city which has an airline hub in its airport to ge that many filghts going to the same place.

6 hours is not that bad. Even if you got there early you might be too nervous to get that many more hours than that.