Florida Board Prep Courses...Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeps005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I maybe moving to Florida and needed some advice on which Florida dental board prep course is supposed to be the best. I am located in Michigan so will need a patient finding service which I know is available through some of the prep courses. I went to the website for the Gordy course and it looked like they offered a pretty comprehensive review course. I've also heard of the Becker course. Any input on which one of these you would choose if you were going to take a prep course? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i havent taken either one, but from my friends who took the courses; they're similar. they're both going to provide you with patients, and thats all that matters. the downside is obviously the expense (~$8K i believe). good luck, and let me know if you have any questions about the actual FL exam

I took the FL boards last year and I did go with the Gordy course. Both Gordy and Becker are great courses, but with Gordy you have the option of taking the course in Ft. Lauderdale and in Gainesville. I took the "very busy practitioner -VBP" option as I was living in Boston at the time and didn't want to worry about the hassles of bringing all my stuff to Florida. Here's the catch though...no matter what course package you choose, Gordy WILL NOT provide you with patient disposables (so you have to bring your own suction tips, amalgam, composite, pt napkins, anesthetics, needles, floss, etc etc). There is however a Henry Schein rep who is always at the Gordy course and he can provide you with the materials that you need (at a hefty price). Both courses provide you with patients, but let me warn you that none of these patients are "ideal," but it's better than nothing. Also, Gordy does provide you with back-up patients. All in all, I think either is a good course to go with, but of course I am partial to Gordy. Just a "heads-up" though, the course fills very quickly, so make sure you sign up early.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi omaralt,
Are you from a Florida school? I am from NYU and I will take my licensure exam at Nova and I am planning no to take any of the prep courses, I will manage to find patients here at the school. How stressfull was your licensure exam? Did you find the examiner helpful in term of paperwork?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi omaralt,
Are you from a Florida school? I am from NYU and I will take my licensure exam at Nova and I am planning no to take any of the prep courses, I will manage to find patients here at the school. How stressfull was your licensure exam? Did you find the examiner helpful in term of paperwork?

hey, ya i'm a NOVA grad; so finding patients wasnt too difficult. however, i cant imagine how your going to be able to find patients here in south florida while you go to school in NY. Finding good patients is the most stressful part and the most important part to passing the exam. not to scare you; but this exam was the most stressful exam i ever took (and i took it twice; problems with my patient showing up the first time). having said that, it is definitely passable, you just need to make sure you know everything about this exam. read the CIB cover to cover (it's on the FL board of dentistry website; let me know if you need help finding it). it covers everything you need to know about the paperwork. you will have an orientation the day before the exam starts and they go over the paperwork; but it's best to know this stuff beforehand. it's not very difficult but if your not prepared it can be a little much.

all the above stress can be avoided by taking one of the prep classes. they help you with everything; so if you can swing the $$ i would take the course; especially since your coming from out of state. good luck

I would not recommend paying for the prep course because it is super expensive. I remember calling the Gordy course and it was like $2000 per patient and you have to buy 3 for the 3 different procedures. I personally flew down a patient of mine from OH that I had already used for our schools Mock board that had both Class II and III lesions that were perfect "Ideal Board Lesions". Having ideal lesions in my opinion is the only way to go for boards because modifications take way to much time and put you in a bad position. I passed both NERB and NERB-FL cause at the time when I registered I didnt have any jobs lined up and didnt think I would have ended up in FL. FL board was a little more challenging even though the procedures were the same. They dont like out of staters and the exam is given on back to back days instead of 2 separate days spread out by a couple months. Hope that helps, Good luck.

yeah, I know it would be tuff. My plan is to find the perfect patients in NY and bring them to Florida. I will also try to screen patients in Florida. I heard sad stories from people who enrolled to this expensive courses and ended up with no good lesions and failed the exam.
thank you

hey, ya i'm a NOVA grad; so finding patients wasnt too difficult. however, i cant imagine how your going to be able to find patients here in south florida while you go to school in NY. Finding good patients is the most stressful part and the most important part to passing the exam. not to scare you; but this exam was the most stressful exam i ever took (and i took it twice; problems with my patient showing up the first time). having said that, it is definitely passable, you just need to make sure you know everything about this exam. read the CIB cover to cover (it's on the FL board of dentistry website; let me know if you need help finding it). it covers everything you need to know about the paperwork. you will have an orientation the day before the exam starts and they go over the paperwork; but it's best to know this stuff beforehand. it's not very difficult but if your not prepared it can be a little much.

all the above stress can be avoided by taking one of the prep classes. they help you with everything; so if you can swing the $$ i would take the course; especially since your coming from out of state. good luck

I would not recommend paying for the prep course because it is super expensive. I remember calling the Gordy course and it was like $2000 per patient and you have to buy 3 for the 3 different procedures. I personally flew down a patient of mine from OH that I had already used for our schools Mock board that had both Class II and III lesions that were perfect "Ideal Board Lesions". Having ideal lesions in my opinion is the only way to go for boards because modifications take way to much time and put you in a bad position. I passed both NERB and NERB-FL cause at the time when I registered I didnt have any jobs lined up and didnt think I would have ended up in FL. FL board was a little more challenging even though the procedures were the same. They dont like out of staters and the exam is given on back to back days instead of 2 separate days spread out by a couple months. Hope that helps, Good luck.

Thanks for your input,
I hope i can find a patient like you who have both class 2 and 3 idela lesions. Anyway, I believe those courses where more important when Florida used to have their own specifications for the licensure exam. Right now, here at NYU we r having all the practice for NERB which is pretty similar as Florida-Nerb if is not the same.
Question: why do you say they dont like out-staters? I'm from Florida just landed in NY for studies, anyway why?

Another question guys, I read the prep for PFM #21 is shoulder facial and chamfer lingual. Did you hear about the "wing prep"? meaning the strong definition of the 1.5 mm facial shoulder going to the .5 mm lingual chamfer?
Thank so much for your help!!!!

Thanks for all the replies. I know some general dentists down in FL and will see if they can get me some patients. I would obviously like to avoid paying $2000 per patient but if I can't find patients I guess that's what I'll have to do.

I am planning to take FL board in March ,I did call Dr.Gordi course and they said they don't sell pt when I asked only for pt I am senor student and I don't have time to attend the 9 days course.any helpful input please

Hello All:

I am taking the Florida Licensure Exam in March and would like to know why this exam is so stressful and why so many people have to take it twice? Is there any additional advice? Thank you in advance for all the replies. Have a great weekend all!

Just an FYI I am taking he Becker course, my husband took it and said it was very helpful, besides the obvious provision of patients. I just wanted to know what the experiences of others were and how they saw the exam. Thanks again all.

All,

My wife and I both graduated from Nova, we both took the FL and WREB exams @ Nova.

We both took the Gordy course for both exams and it was the best $$ ever spent. We both passed with flying colors, markedly reduced stress due to not having to coordinate patients. Taking the course don't get rid of patient stress because no matter what you do those days, it's the most stress I've ever experienced in my life (FL exam that is.. WREB was no prob)

FYI, for her WREB exam, I even brought my OWN DENTAL ASSISTANT who was a "perfect" SRP case. He showed up drunk and would have been rejected by the exam. I had to get him from a 2 hour drive away... I couldn't imagine coordinating from a 2-3 hour flight away and have a hotel room etc. Gordy to the rescue and brought in one of their patients and she passed with flying colors.

Would I say it's required for a Nova/UF student to take the course to pass, absolutely not... there are plenty of patients for the students to use for the boards and the faculty really help. The courses are not necessary for Nova/UF students because we were taught for 4 years how to take the FL exam.

Now for an out of state student? I'd venture to say that if you are in Vegas and you could make odds on a football team that is 9:1 odds to win, would you bet on the other team? That's the % of passing of an out of state candidate for the FL exam... 90% chance of failure without a course. But there's always the 10% chance... what are you willing to bet?

Want to take the risk? I didn't and I now have licensure in 3 states including FL.

Good luck!

Noooo don't waste your money on those courses that all BS patients are not guaranteed and are $2200 each and you need 3! so total price about $14000 and they won't give you anything special. :thumbdown:thumbdown

Members don't see this ad :)
Noooo don't waste your money on those courses that all BS patients are not guaranteed and are $2200 each and you need 3! so total price about $14000 and they won't give you anything special. :thumbdown:thumbdown

$2200 each patient x 3 patients = $6600... where are you getting $14,000 from?? as of last year the course was under $10K; closer to $8K

Hi there:

I just want to express my opinion about the Gordy Course. I think the course is good for the preparation parts (hands on part 1 and 2). It helps you a lot to get in touch of the criteria and specifications needed to pass the prostho and endo parts. It also gives you orientation for the patient part. The cost of this part is aprox 2000 to 3000. It is fair for what you pay for.

The catch here is the patient parts and the instruments lease. I would rather not have paid for the VBP fee. The patients that usually are offered are not as good as you might think. This is a business!!! They just need you to have a first patient ASAP so you have to sign a contract with them (very nasty one because they are almost not liable for anything that happens with your patient procedure). Generally those patients are hypertensive. My three patients got terrible high blood pressures readings. They provide you with backup patients, that have NOT SO IDEAL cavities (most of them will need modifications or are MOD). It makes you waste time since you have to go with the whole paperwork and all. Others patients are so WEIRD!! Have heard someone got arrested during the exam (that means you failed because the cops have to take your patient during your exam), others come having taking drugs since they acts weird (that makes them BAD patients for that part). My advice if you are not living in Fl is that if you can find your own patients and carry them here, it is worth the 6600 you are going to paid. But if you cannot, try to make sure your first patient HAVE A REALLY REAL CAVITY THAT REACHES THE DEJ (forget about so small cavities, I would have like to go with one that really touches it, not one that seems to; if it is cavitated is better).

I did not passed the first time because I got nasty patients. Second time I found my own patients and only spent 1000 paying for them. Got lots of help of dentists friends of mine too. I came to the exam site with all paperwork already filled beforehand; except for blood pressure and meds. Things went pretty well because if a got a rejection, I was damn sure what will my backup patient lesion looks like. I am so happy I had decided not to use Gordy's patient service again; money was not my first concern (and it doesn't mean I have not think about it), but most of all my concern was my chance to pass it and will not let that LOUSY PATIENT SELECTION messed with it.

Do not misunderstand me, Dr. Gordy and Kaim where very helpful during their course. However, I would really tell you that Dr. Gultz is an UNETHICAL professional that is only looking for his own $$$$ rewards. He doesn't care at all about your stress and anything at all. Conclusion, he is an A..H...!! You know what I mean.

Good luck fellas with the exam in June. Just consider taking your own patients. Took me almost 2 months to gather them; but it worth all the effort and it meant a lot for me during the exam day. Nobody REALLY FACILITATES YOUR STRESS, that is a whole LIE. But you will feel what I meant when you are there that day.

Best luck for all,

Reactions: 1 user
$2200 each patient x 3 patients = $6600... where are you getting $14,000 from?? as of last year the course was under $10K; closer to $8K

ok do the math $6600 (patients) if you do the VBP (very busy practitioner) is $2600 instruments alone + $2400 course, that is $11,600 right? well they sell all disposables and materials that unless you bring them you will have to buy them believe me it goes up there if you really take care of your numbers maybe with $12500... I have receipts...

Hi there:

I just want to express my opinion about the Gordy Course. I think the course is good for the preparation parts (hands on part 1 and 2). It helps you a lot to get in touch of the criteria and specifications needed to pass the prostho and endo parts. It also gives you orientation for the patient part. The cost of this part is aprox 2000 to 3000. It is fair for what you pay for.

The catch here is the patient parts and the instruments lease. I would rather not have paid for the VBP fee. The patients that usually are offered are not as good as you might think. This is a business!!! They just need you to have a first patient ASAP so you have to sign a contract with them (very nasty one because they are almost not liable for anything that happens with your patient procedure). Generally those patients are hypertensive. My three patients got terrible high blood pressures readings. They provide you with backup patients, that have NOT SO IDEAL cavities (most of them will need modifications or are MOD). It makes you waste time since you have to go with the whole paperwork and all. Others patients are so WEIRD!! Have heard someone got arrested during the exam (that means you failed because the cops have to take your patient during your exam), others come having taking drugs since they acts weird (that makes them BAD patients for that part). My advice if you are not living in Fl is that if you can find your own patients and carry them here, it is worth the 6600 you are going to paid. But if you cannot, try to make sure your first patient HAVE A REALLY REAL CAVITY THAT REACHES THE DEJ (forget about so small cavities, I would have like to go with one that really touches it, not one that seems to; if it is cavitated is better).

I did not passed the first time because I got nasty patients. Second time I found my own patients and only spent 1000 paying for them. Got lots of help of dentists friends of mine too. I came to the exam site with all paperwork already filled beforehand; except for blood pressure and meds. Things went pretty well because if a got a rejection, I was damn sure what will my backup patient lesion looks like. I am so happy I had decided not to use Gordy's patient service again; money was not my first concern (and it doesn't mean I have not think about it), but most of all my concern was my chance to pass it and will not let that LOUSY PATIENT SELECTION messed with it.

Do not misunderstand me, Dr. Gordy and Kaim where very helpful during their course. However, I would really tell you that Dr. Gultz is an UNETHICAL professional that is only looking for his own $$$$ rewards. He doesn't care at all about your stress and anything at all. Conclusion, he is an A..H...!! You know what I mean.

Good luck fellas with the exam in June. Just consider taking your own patients. Took me almost 2 months to gather them; but it worth all the effort and it meant a lot for me during the exam day. Nobody REALLY FACILITATES YOUR STRESS, that is a whole LIE. But you will feel what I meant when you are there that day.

Best luck for all,

Agree 100%

Hi there,
Thanks for your advice:D. I am planning to give my Fl boards this Oct Possibly planning to enroll in Dr.Becker course, Any views. How was the theory parts? What materials you had to study. They all say the law and rules are really hard. How was the diagnostic and case study exam. what materials you used to prepare? how early can we take these exams?
Your response is highly appreciated.

Hi there:

I just want to express my opinion about the Gordy Course. I think the course is good for the preparation parts (hands on part 1 and 2). It helps you a lot to get in touch of the criteria and specifications needed to pass the prostho and endo parts. It also gives you orientation for the patient part. The cost of this part is approx 2000 to 3000. It is fair for what you pay for.

Best luck for all,

Last edited:
Hi there:

Best luck for all,

Oceannaire is so wrong! As someone who took the exam on my own the first time and brought my own patients, a learned the lesson the hard way. It is very difficult to take this without a prep course and without getting patients from a course. I had the opportunity to sit the Gordy's screening offic with Dr. Gultz for a full day. He happens to be a very, very nice guy and quite frankly everyone at the course, including Dr Gultz would really prefer if everyone found and brought their own patients. I couldn't have possibly realized that Dr. Gultz makes absolutely no money for the patients provided and he would earn considerably more spending a day in his office with a lot less stress. So your comment about his only caring about $$$ is totally off base. In addition, no one can possibly predict demeanor of patients on the day of the exam unless they are a repeat patient. Patients reported to be difficult from candidates are banned from future exam but how would you expect him to know that in advance. In addition, if BP is a "problem" then candidates had been instructed not to submit that patient in the first place. There are plenty of back-up patients and I personally witnessed that any patient who seemed qualified but either had a bad personality, uncooperative or hi BP was rejected. I also saw that patients became back-ups strictly based on their availability and number of doctors available. Patients were booked to be matched with doctors strictly on the order they were qualified, not on whether they were good or bad lesions. Oceannaire, you are making comments about something you know nothing about. Perhaps you had a bad experience but most people I spoke with were extremely pleased with the service
Jason G

Hmm... Your first post huh? Not only that but u seem to take the previous post very personally. Me thinks you work for them?

Oceannaire is so wrong! As someone who took the exam on my own the first time and brought my own patients, a learned the lesson the hard way. It is very difficult to take this without a prep course and without getting patients from a course. I had the opportunity to sit the Gordy's screening offic with Dr. Gultz for a full day. He happens to be a very, very nice guy and quite frankly everyone at the course, including Dr Gultz would really prefer if everyone found and brought their own patients. I couldn't have possibly realized that Dr. Gultz makes absolutely no money for the patients provided and he would earn considerably more spending a day in his office with a lot less stress. So your comment about his only caring about $$$ is totally off base. In addition, no one can possibly predict demeanor of patients on the day of the exam unless they are a repeat patient. Patients reported to be difficult from candidates are banned from future exam but how would you expect him to know that in advance. In addition, if BP is a "problem" then candidates had been instructed not to submit that patient in the first place. There are plenty of back-up patients and I personally witnessed that any patient who seemed qualified but either had a bad personality, uncooperative or hi BP was rejected. I also saw that patients became back-ups strictly based on their availability and number of doctors available. Patients were booked to be matched with doctors strictly on the order they were qualified, not on whether they were good or bad lesions. Oceannaire, you are making comments about something you know nothing about. Perhaps you had a bad experience but most people I spoke with were extremely pleased with the service
Jason G

I have 3 friends who used Gordy and failed because they were given bad patients. 2 of them used Gordy again because they had no choice and failed a second time because the x-rays were older then they said they were and the lesions were blow ups. I too heard about the patient that was arrested during the examination.

Lastly, someone I know signed up for Gordy and then got a call back saying they were sorry and ran out of patients and she could either be on a waiting list or sign up for November.

I know the exam is stressful but from what I have heard Gordy doesn't really make it any better. It may have been the best in the past but I think it is very different now with NERB.

I haven't heard anything about the Dr. Becker course.

Hmm... Your first post huh? Not only that but u seem to take the previous post very personally. Me thinks you work for them?
I am a Tufts graduate and took this exam for the first time in June 2010. I brought my own patients and failed because one was rejected and I had no back-up. Tried again in November - this time patients all accepted but failed because "I left decay"; Because it was my third (and final possible) attempt, I elected to take the Gordy course. And only because it was my last chance did they allow me to spend a day at the screening ctr which I was told is usually not permitted.

I stand by my previous statement- you have no idea what you are talking about and NO- I DON'T WORK FOR GORDY OR HAVE ANY AFFILIATION.

I heard that Florida board migth start accepting WREB is this true? If so when will this go into effect?

I know the exam is administered 2-3 times a year march , june and oct. How much in advance does one need to apply?

Thanks I would really appreciate answers to these questions. Their website is a bit difficult to navigate through!!!

Hello,

I have a question about using a dental assistant for the perio & rest part of boards. Can one use an assistant for the perio & rest part of exam ?

Thank you

Just want to share my experience of my Florida Nerb exam this past March. I decided not to take any prep course and I took my patients with me to Florida from NY. I passed with an excellent score.
I was stressed and worried during the whole day but at least I knew my patients, everything worked out well. I did not need modifications.
I believe that if you read the candidate guide you know the process. Who is better than you when it comes to select your patients?

Thanks for your input,
I hope i can find a patient like you who have both class 2 and 3 idela lesions. Anyway, I believe those courses where more important when Florida used to have their own specifications for the licensure exam. Right now, here at NYU we r having all the practice for NERB which is pretty similar as Florida-Nerb if is not the same.
Question: why do you say they dont like out-staters? I'm from Florida just landed in NY for studies, anyway why?

Another question guys, I read the prep for PFM #21 is shoulder facial and chamfer lingual. Did you hear about the "wing prep"? meaning the strong definition of the 1.5 mm facial shoulder going to the .5 mm lingual chamfer?
Thank so much for your help!!!!

I am UCSF senior taking Florida board in June any one in UF welling to share periopatient with me

I just took the FL dental boards in June and passed, so did 3 other of my classmates. None of us used the courses. Having gone to a school that prepared us for NERB we were all aware of how to find ideal patients. I personally flew mine in from my state and the other 3 got theirs from FL but we all passed, because we knew how to screen.

Please don't spend the 10k+, you can do it on your own!!!

I recently just took the June 2011 Florida boards and passed after taking the Becker/Shields Course. In my opinion, its not worth it to bring your own patients. I am from NJ so unless I found a class II/III on same patient, I wouldve probably had to fly down 3 different patients and also backups as of course you would not go into the exam assuming all your primary patients will get accepted. All that and putting your patients up in a hotel will end up costing you about 3,000-4,000 anyways not to mention the stress. Plus what if for some reason, the flight gets delayed, cancelled, etc. That is the last thing you want to deal with.

For me, the 9 or 10,000 you spend on this course is worth it. It is probably the most stressful and most important exam of your life. Its totally worth it to pay a little more and get some of that stress reduced. Luckily, all 3 of my patients were really "ideal" and I couldn't have asked for better patients. But some of the other people in the course had some more difficult lesions. All in all, if you have a problem with a patient they let you meet them, see their BP, X rays you can always ask for a different one. I think for the Endo, Prosth part you can probably figure out on your own but if you're done with school its hard to find time to practice - the course kind of forces you to practice.

Dr. Becker and Shields were both great. Really nice and I could tell they really wanted you to do well. I know some people that took the Gordy course and while they both seem good, I went with Becker because from what I heard it is a little cheaper. And I like the fact that Becker's course limits the people to 20 max. If you have 40+ people in the class like Gordy - I don't understand how everyone can have good lesions. I would definitely recommend taking the Becker course and no I don't work for them or have any kind of affiliation. But all in all, it is YOUR exam, you have to be mindful of time - probably the most important thing about the exam. Just because you take the course doesn't mean you'll pass. If anyone wants to know more you can PM me.

Also, forgot to mention anyone planning to take the exam in Gainesville, University of Florida???

I have some equipment that I want to sell if anyone is interested that you will absolutely have to buy to take the exam:

1.) Kavo Multiflex coupler with Midwest adapter- UF is a 4pin high speed connnection so you may need this coupler and/or adapter if you have a Kavo handpiece.

2.) Cavitron 30k handpiece (Dentsply) - needed if you want to use a Cavitron at the test site. I also have barely used 30k tips.

Everything was just used once. Please let me know if interested. [email protected]. Will offer a good price.

I recently just took the June 2011 Florida boards and passed after taking the Becker/Shields Course. In my opinion, its not worth it to bring your own patients. I am from NJ so unless I found a class II/III on same patient, I wouldve probably had to fly down 3 different patients and also backups as of course you would not go into the exam assuming all your primary patients will get accepted. All that and putting your patients up in a hotel will end up costing you about 3,000-4,000 anyways not to mention the stress. Plus what if for some reason, the flight gets delayed, cancelled, etc. That is the last thing you want to deal with.

For me, the 9 or 10,000 you spend on this course is worth it. It is probably the most stressful and most important exam of your life. Its totally worth it to pay a little more and get some of that stress reduced. Luckily, all 3 of my patients were really "ideal" and I couldn't have asked for better patients. But some of the other people in the course had some more difficult lesions. All in all, if you have a problem with a patient they let you meet them, see their BP, X rays you can always ask for a different one. I think for the Endo, Prosth part you can probably figure out on your own but if you're done with school its hard to find time to practice - the course kind of forces you to practice.

Dr. Becker and Shields were both great. Really nice and I could tell they really wanted you to do well. I know some people that took the Gordy course and while they both seem good, I went with Becker because from what I heard it is a little cheaper. And I like the fact that Becker's course limits the people to 20 max. If you have 40+ people in the class like Gordy - I don't understand how everyone can have good lesions. I would definitely recommend taking the Becker course and no I don't work for them or have any kind of affiliation. But all in all, it is YOUR exam, you have to be mindful of time - probably the most important thing about the exam. Just because you take the course doesn't mean you'll pass. If anyone wants to know more you can PM me.
Hi there,

i am starting to get the bad taste of preparation for this test and I was wondering if you can help me.

I am interested in the preparation materials for the written part (Law and Diagnostic Skills) and practical part that Dr Becker offers as part of his course.

You are saying in your post that you have ideal pt for each part of the practical. Can you explain more?? or in other words, What type of pts should I look for??

Can you tell me the instrument that I will need and if you have these for sale? or other preparation materials?

I am trying to figure out a way to built a road map for this test.

I will appreciate any help.

My email: [email protected]

If you take the Adex exam outside Florida or take the exam in Florida without a board prep course, and want help with the Florida Law & Rules Exam, Check out

WWW.FloridaDentalLaw.com

It has a great course for the FL. Law exam. Easy to read manual and over 500 sample questions. Updated regularly

This is the same law course used for years & currently still used by the Becker course; with excellent results.