Florida doctor tells Obama supporters: Go elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I find this absolutely disgusting. Politics should be left out of the doctors office.

I find this absolutely disgusting. Politics should be left out of the doctors office.

Well politics has found its way into his office. I can understand that he's frustrated. However, I think this is all extremely melodramatic and there is a serious lack of perspective by most of the people complaining about this.

Members don't see this ad :)

politics cant be left out of the doctors office when politics determines how much doctors make

I love it when premeds who have yet to suffer through an hour of med school pass judgment on full physicians.

Do you realize how ironic your comment is? The white house has BROUGHT politics into the doctor's office. This doctor is frankly asking it to keep out, to what little degree he's free to.

It's kind of hilarious since this guy is only hurting himself. He could be making much more money without the sign and could prepare his bank account if there are huge pay cuts in four years.

So silly.

Well politics has found its way into his office. I can understand that he's frustrated. However, I think this is all extremely melodramatic and there is a serious lack of perspective by most of the people complaining about this.

Yeah, politics is a part of our lives, the doctors office is no exception. Its still a business and part of the bureaucratic procedures in this country. I agree with you completely, it did make me chuckle though.

I do however support his right to free speech, but admittedly agree this is pushing it.

politics cant be left out of the doctors office when politics determines how much doctors make

Obviously I meant on a personal level. I would be equally appalled by a doctor that refused to treat any republicans.

I love it when premeds who have yet to suffer through an hour of med school pass judgment on full physicians.

Do you realize how ironic your comment is? The white house has BROUGHT politics into the doctor's office. This doctor is frankly asking it to keep out, to what little degree he's free to.

I love it when posters make assumptions of others due to their 'pre-med' tags. You know nothing about me, what I know and what I have experienced.

It seems to me that most SDNers are incredibly young and have very immature views of the world (yes, even those of you in medical school). The doctor is not asking to keep politics out, he is outright discriminating against people due to their political views. You should re-read the Hippocratic Oath

Last edited:
"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical," said Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist, "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."

well, someone's pissed.

what a dick..

he's really giving them the finger!

So we have a kindergartner-urologist in Florida...

441988382_f00e334722.jpg

The only one losing out here is the doc. The democrats' money is still green.

The only thing I can think of that this guy is upset about is the medicare payment cuts.

But what would he have the government do? NOT do medicare cuts and allow healthcare to bankrupt the government over the next 30 years? I'm pretty sure the government going bankrupt would be a much worse outcome for most doctors (no medicare payments period).

I'm also not sure how accurate the GOP timeline is either. They're notoriously unreliable at producing information that is accurate. But here's the timeline I found:

http://www.texasgopvote.com/blog/ho...provisions-democrats-health-care-reform-03303

And actually, reading a few of the bullets I noticed they left out a lot of key details. Such as this bullet: "Employers who fail to offer “affordable” coverage would pay a $3,000 penalty for every employee that receives a subsidy through the Exchange"

Except that small businesses are exempt. They leave very important details like that out. So I'd suggest not trusting their crappy timeline, and it's a shame this doctor has been taken in by such nonsense. I think he has every right to do what he wants with his business, but he looks like an unprofessional ass.

But what would he have the government do? NOT do medicare cuts and allow healthcare to bankrupt the government over the next 30 years?

There are more ways to balance the medicare budget than cut doctor's payments. Physician reimbursement from medicare has been increasing 0-1% for the past decade, while the overall spending has increased 5-7% (don't have exact figure). So, cuts could instead/additionally be made to medical device people, hospitals, pharma, etc.

Also, medicare is funded by a 2.9% tax on income, which is probably much too small a revenue stream to pay for healthcare in elderly. Presumably, this tax could be raised to reflect the actual cost of providing medicare.

On a larger scale, even with balancing the medicare revenue/expenditure sheet, over time health costs will keep escalating. I'm guessing this physician wanted larger, structural reforms that will change the entire landscape of healthcare delivery. This is what economists all want, but I'm not sure how it would affect physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering Obama received something like 95% of the black vote, what this guy is also saying is no blacks allowed.

How does this have ANYTHING to do with someone being a pre med vs. being a doctor. He's not saying he is more knowledgable than the doctor. He's saying that a doctor telling a patient to "take a hike" based on his political views is wrong. He's entitled to his opinion. As a "premed", I think this doctor is wrong as well.... There is no way anyone would condone such behavior.

How does this have ANYTHING to do with someone being a pre med vs. being a doctor. He's not saying he is more knowledgable than the doctor. He's saying that a doctor telling a patient to "take a hike" based on his political views is wrong. He's entitled to his opinion. As a "premed", I think this doctor is wrong as well.... There is no way anyone would condone such behavior.

Someone who has been through medical school has a better idea of what their services are worth, knows what's gone into making them capable of providing such services, and so on. It's very easy for someone who's never worked to become a physician to sit back and say that a doctor should be obligated to do this or that.

Work away a large part of your twenties and THEN come back and give us your opinion regarding what's "wrong" about a physician deciding to whom he's going to offer his services.

Someone who has been through medical school has a better idea of what their services are worth, knows what's gone into making them capable of providing such services, and so on. It's very easy for someone who's never worked to become a physician to sit back and say that a doctor should be obligated to do this or that.

Work away a large part of your twenties and THEN come back and give us your opinion regarding what's "wrong" about a physician deciding to whom he's going to offer his services.

No one is saying the doc is OBLIGED to do anything. They're saying he's a festering butthole. It's a totally different thing. Your right to do whatever you want is NOT a right to freedom from criticism for what you choose to do.

Considering Obama received something like 95% of the black vote, what this guy is also saying is no blacks allowed.

This is similar to the following logic:

I hate mornings because I'm groggy. 95% of my mornings start with a cup of coffee. Therefore, I hate coffee.

FYI, I'm 29 years old.

This is similar to the following logic:

I hate mornings because I'm groggy. 95% of my mornings start with a cup of coffee. Therefore, I hate coffee.

No, what I was saying was is 95% of all african americans voted for Obama, and the dude doesn't want any Obama voters, he is also cutting off his entire black clientele. Is something in there miscalculated?

No one is saying the doc is OBLIGED to do anything. They're saying he's a festering butthole. It's a totally different thing. Your right to do whatever you want is NOT a right to freedom from criticism for what you choose to do.

Part of what I'm saying is that once you eventually grow out of your college freshman idealism you'll change your mind about what makes someone a "festering butthole." As will many of the young and inexperienced people on this board. This doctor is likely trying to increase publicity regarding doctors' opposition to the bill (Obama's white-coat wearing, nodding, smiling "doctor" props notwithstanding) so that healthcare may not become total **** mandatory medicaid-quality for everybody.

Rephrased: If he's looking out for the quality of medical care in the future, is he still a bad person?

No, what I was saying was is 95% of all african americans voted for Obama, and the dude doesn't want any Obama voters, he is also cutting off his entire black clientele. Is something in there miscalculated?

He wants to cut off those who essentially voted to demolish the quality of healthcare by decreasing efficiency, further tying doctors' hands, eliminating the rights of citizens and spreading a few good resources too thin. If these people just coincidentally happen to be black, or if Obama happens to be black and they voted for him specifically for that reason, then this physician has made no statement against black people.

People who play the race card tend to do so remarkably shamelessly. This was quite a stretch for you, ending with you implying that he's a racist. Formulate some real points. I suppose you think every republican in the senate is a racist as well.

Haha I thought you were implying that he intended to cut back the number of black patients he sees because he doesn't like blacks or something.

IMO this is about principle, not racism. I don't know the guy personally though.

I support this guy. What a brave soul. If I ever need a urologist, I know where to go. (hopefully I never need a urologist)

Seems to me that he's simply making a statement. I think the guy is somewhat admirable, really, in that he had the balls to actually stand up for his beliefs and make them public. Yeah, it's gutsy and a few patients may leave b/c of it but at least the guy holds to his principles.

awwwww shiiiiit, so he's a racist, then, amirite?

awwwww shiiiiit, so he's a racist, then, amirite?

Of course, because when you say one thing in this world, it can and will be transformed into something completely and totally unrelated. So (twisted) conventional logic will tell us: Hey! This doctor is expressing his first amendment rights! He's RACIST!

In all seriousness, I think this is absolutely perfect. He is within his rights for suggesting the patients look elsewhere. Let the democrats provide him with the names of doctors they would approve of. Obama was the one who had a room full of doctors in coats to support him, so what is the difference here? In my opinion, more doctors should do this. It is bad enough that doctors are considered money-hungry scumbags because they are not in primary care.

Haha I thought you were implying that he intended to cut back the number of black patients he sees because he doesn't like blacks or something.

No, I said exactly what I said - cutting off Obama voters is cutting off almost every black person. That statement has driven a few people in this thread crazy, but it says a lot more about their psyches than mine. Apparently mentioning black people, AT ALL, is raising the race card - even talking about valid concerns like where are black people going to go to see a urologist?

If this guy is the town's only urologist (no idea if that is true) where do people go? Sure, they can still go to him, he has absolutely no idea who voted for whom and nor should he, but it's still a rather unnecessary cluster****.

I am the vice president of undergrad AMSA at my university and I schedule physicans to speak at our meetings. Today, I had an orthopedist call and cancel for one of our meetings. However, he then told me its a good thing he had to cancel bc he would tell us all NOT to go into medicine and then proceeded to talk to me for 20 minutes about politics. He said for the amount of work med school and residency are and how important the work physicians do actually is, that the new governmental program is almost "criminal"

Part of what I'm saying is that once you eventually grow out of your college freshman idealism you'll change your mind about what makes someone a "festering butthole." As will many of the young and inexperienced people on this board. This doctor is likely trying to increase publicity regarding doctors' opposition to the bill (Obama's white-coat wearing, nodding, smiling "doctor" props notwithstanding) so that healthcare may not become total **** mandatory medicaid-quality for everybody.

Rephrased: If he's looking out for the quality of medical care in the future, is he still a bad person?

I always get a chuckle when med students(some of whom have never worked a day in their life) come to premed forum and compete for "who's-the-most-jaded" award.

This doctor was not looking out for quality medical care, he was withholding an essential public service from some patients due to their political belief/leaning. It's cowardice since he's taking out his political loss on his patients instead those on Capitol Hill. You can't fight the big man so you pick on the little guy?:thumbdown:

Last edited:
I always get a chuckle when med students(some of whom have never worked a day in their life) come to premed forum and compete for "who's-the-most-jaded" award.

This doctor was not looking out for quality medical care, he was withholding an essential public service from some patients due to their political belief/leaning. It's cowardice since he's taking out his politic loss on his patients instead those on Capitol Hill. You can't fight the big man so you pick on the little guy?:thumbdown:
He didn't withhold public service. Did you read the article? He didn't turn anyone away, but he just hoped some left on their own.

I am the vice president of undergrad AMSA at my university and I schedule physicans to speak at our meetings. Today, I had an orthopedist call and cancel for one of our meetings. However, he then told me its a good thing he had to cancel bc he would tell us all NOT to go into medicine and then proceeded to talk to me for 20 minutes about politics. He said for the amount of work med school and residency are and how important the work physicians do actually is, that the new governmental program is almost "criminal"
I am surprised that if he held those views, he would agree to come speak at an AMSA meeting.

He didn't withhold public service. Did you read the article? He didn't turn anyone away, but he just hoped some left on their own.

Yea I did. He was trying to prevent a class action lawsuit by not physically witholding services when asked to provide one. But his intent was quite clear with his sign(ie he doesn't want to provide services to obama supporters).

Last edited:
I respect him for having the guts to say what he thinks. In any case, I think that in a few years we'll have to pay out of pocket anyway to go see a doctor as the good ones won't take the crappy medicaid-like reimbursements that the government will pay. So enjoy your insurance coverage now, because once Obamacare kicks in, on top of paying more taxes, you'll have to pay to see a doctor (unless you want to see the bottom of the barrel guy whose only way of making a living is to take what Obama decides to give him).

Last edited:
Every doctor in American should does this...I am glad someone finally has the balls to stand up against Obingo and mafia.

Medicine is a business...this country needs to start treating it as such. Pay for service needs to become PAY for $$$$$ervice.

Last edited:
Support or oppose the current health care 'reform', what this physician did is unethical.

AMA code of medical ethics:

9.012: "...Under no circumstances should physicians allow their differences with patients or their families about political matters to interfere with the delivery of high-quality professional care."

10.015: "...The relationship between patient and physician is based on trust and gives rise to physicians’ ethical obligations to place patients’ welfare above their own self-interest and above obligations to other groups, and to advocate for their patients’ welfare."

His sign has the intent of turning away patients due to a particular political persuasion. Bending the truth otherwise boarders on dangerous semantics. He has every right to disagree with health care reform. however, he is acting in an unethical way by turning away patients who voted for president Obama. This is a clear cut mater. Don't let your own political feelings clout the issue.

Support or oppose the current health care 'reform', what this physician did is unethical.

AMA code of medical ethics:

9.012: "...Under no circumstances should physicians allow their differences with patients or their families about political matters to interfere with the delivery of high-quality professional care."

10.015: "...The relationship between patient and physician is based on trust and gives rise to physicians’ ethical obligations to place patients’ welfare above their own self-interest and above obligations to other groups, and to advocate for their patients’ welfare."

His sign has the intent of turning away patients due to a particular political persuasion. Bending the truth otherwise boarders on dangerous semantics. He has every right to disagree with health care reform. however, he is acting in an unethical way by turning away patients who voted for president Obama. This is a clear cut mater. Don't let your own political feelings clout the issue.

I doubt this dude is a member of the AMA. If he's this indignant about the bill, he's definitely not going to associate with a medical organization that backed it.

I doubt this dude is a member of the AMA. If he's this indignant about the bill, he's definitely not going to associate with a medical organization that backed it.
Ditto. Few people care about the AMAs code of ethics. If you've ever been to one of their national meetings, you'll know all the kinds of BS resolutions they pass.

Good for him. I wish more doctors would speak out against this instead of keeping it to themselves. Politics are encroaching on medicine enough already.

It's cowardice since he's taking out his political loss on his patients instead those on Capitol Hill. You can't fight the big man so you pick on the little guy?:thumbdown:

He's indirectly taking it out on representatives who voted for the health care reform. If it affects the constituents, the constituents will toss out the bad representative and replace him/her with a good one to make the fix that best helps them out. The fix may be a patch or a complete repeal. That's how this system works. What did you want him to do to "the big man"? Go to DC and start a fist fight? Yeah that'll work. If DC is going to politically attack doctors, doctors should be able to politically fight back.

Doctors end up losing money on medicare and medicaid patients because those programs both underpay and/or pay late. When I say losing money, I mean an example I've heard where a doctor does a minor medicare procedure and doesn't even get reimbursed enough for the cost of the supplies. Why do you think some doctors take very few medicaid patients if at all? That program is even worse than medicare is. I guess those fat cat doctors in their monopoly man suits and tophats are just being greedy pigs withholding public services that people are entitled to. Or they're taking the initiative to make smart business decisions, so that not only are they forced to close their office down, but perhaps lay off the employees that work there too.

I'm in college so there is plenty of irresponsibility to observe on a weekly basis. I know kids who get drunk, punch refrigerators, break their hands, and oops! no health insurance. I wonder who's fault that one was. Maybe they shouldn't have bought a bunch of new clothes when they had perfectly good ones, spent several thousands of dollars on a guitar, a fish tank with exotic fish, rock band, alcohol, and cigarettes. Gotta feed those addictions! What about another person who in a drunken stupor of drop kicks (for fun!) injured their knee and is freaking out when they shouldn't have been jumping up and down like an effin pansy in the first place. No insurance, but a bunch of new clothes bi-weekly, alcohol, a sweet computer, and perhaps some illegal drugs. But how did they pay for their healthcare??? OMG!!How about the charity fund the hospital holds if they prove with financial documents that they in fact cannot afford the help. Whoa, with all the speeches given about our health care "crisis", you would have thought these people would have immediately walked out on the curb and proceeded to die hopelessly. These people in all honesty probably didn't deserve the help they got but they got it anyway and it was well before Obama saved the day with his health bill larger than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

I guess if you're handling dicks all day it's bound to rub off on you.

In all seriousness, he is a doctor who is discouraging people with physical ailments from seeking treatment because he doesn't like those who disagree with his politics. Sure, they can go somewhere else, but I fear the consequences of the example he is setting for other physicians. Don't try to make this more complicated than it is. He is a medical professional. Read the Hippocratic Oath and try to reconcile his actions with any of the tenents listed therein. How anyone can defend this kind of behavior is beyond me. If you're a doctor and someone comes to you who is sick, you treat them, whether they are an atheist, a communist, a criminal or anything else you might disagree with that doesn't have anything to do with treating their ailment. C'mon, people. I'm (hopefully) going to be working with you one day...

Last edited: