Florida EM programs follow up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hastalamalaika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is kinda belated, but thanks anonymousEM and Quinn for the very good info on your FL programs. a couple last questions I had were about ...
1) off service rotations -- good, bad, otherwise in terms of teaching, schedule, general experience, etc?
2) lifestyle outside the hospital in Tampa vs. jacksonville?

thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Our off service rotations are great. We do all our rotations at Tampa General, which makes it nice for commuting and what-not. I think our best off-service rotation is the PICU, where we are THE resident on... which is a great experience. We do two months of Trauma, which is great, because we are the big Level 1 center here in west-central FL, lots of alerts and lots of sick patients. Blah blah, we have a lot of good offservice rotations.

In regards to Tampa, Tampa really is a nice city. A little more metropolitan than Jacksonville, but probably a little more expensive to live than Jacksonville. Tampa is also smaller than JAX. Awesome restaurants, great night life, and the singles scene is amazing. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do (similar to JAX). Weather is near perfect 9 months of the year... June/July/August is pretty darn hot around here... but honestly only a little worse than where I'm originally from, DC.

Q

Off Service Rotations--We get along great with the other departments and our PD is truly a resident advocate when it comes to keeping us in rotations that are truly beneficial and moving us out if they are not. We do our PICU rotation about 3 miles away at a private hospital where we work with peds residents and PAs to run the unit. MICU is an excellent rotation where you are the boss as a second year and rotate on a team with an ED senior when you are an intern. They look to the ED team to help out everyone else with procedures and there is more than ample to learn! Trauma is a rotation where you obviously work hard but it's a busy service and the PGY3 jumps right in with the same responsibility as the PGY4-5 Surgery residents and the intern with the other interns. I can't think of a bad rotation...just ones where you work harder than others.

Jacksonville--If you;re a beach person you've got it made. The social scene is developing downtown but most people go to other parts of town for their entertainment. There are so many things to do, but you'll have to look a little harder than NYC or other mega-metropolitan areas. Jacksonville is really spread out so you may end up driving a little more, but traffic is never bad. There is a very defined rush hour going in one direction on a few major thouroughfares each day and that's it.

I've been incredibly happy in Jax, can't compare it to tampa as I haven't spent much time there. Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.