Florida Malpractice Cap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristero

RUFFNECK
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a pamphlet/flyer with information on the Florida malpractice cap issue that can be distibuted to doctors to put in their offices? I want to distribute them around Miami and Orlando. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Tristero said:
Does anyone know where I can find a pamphlet/flyer with information on the Florida malpractice cap issue that can be distibuted to doctors to put in their offices? I want to distribute them around Miami and Orlando. Thanks.

Most of the information available is on http://www.citizensforafairshare.org/.

Other than that, it's still early and more will be coming out soon. I am glad to hear that somebody is interested, FL ballot initiatives for Nov are serious and not to be taken lightly.

PM me, I'd love to find out more what you are doing and getting UM involved.

-Mike

Tristero,
I signed a document about a month ago about placing a cap on malpractice at a doctor's office. I think it was more of a petition. I had to provide my voter registration number on the document. I know that there is a medical student organization that rallies for the cause here in florida. You should call the office at UM and ask them about this. They will definitely know more info and can lead you in the right path. Let me how I can help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay this is what I found....
Tristero, you're right. We need to start acting. If you read the article, it states that they are going to need 450,000 more signatures after approval. I am going to try to find out where I can obtain a copy of the petition I signed. You should post this thread on the pre-allo section because it is viewed more.

Article taken from: http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/legislat...s/hot_issues_in_congress/legal_reform/fma.htm

Florida again may be the state to watch in the upcoming 2004 elections, although perhaps not for the same reasons as it was back in November of 2000. Assuming all goes right with Florida?s new voting systems, there should be fewer hanging chads and butterfly ballots. But even so, voters nationwide should still turn their eyes south to watch the Sunshine State as it takes the electoral lead on legal reform.

The political action committee of the Florida Medical Association (FMA), Citizens for a Fair Share, announced this week that it now has the number of verified petition signatures necessary to seek Florida Supreme Court review of a proposed state constitutional change. The proposed amendment seeks to limit what trial lawyers can take home when they win a medical malpractice case ? a necessity in a state where malpractice insurance rates have skyrocketed out of control.

Current Florida Supreme Court rules ban only "exorbitant" attorney contingency fees, and changing those rules ? and the size of lawyers? fees that go with them ? must be accomplished by constitutional amendment, not by the legislature, because the rules are set by the state Supreme Court. Thus, if Florida is going to get some much needed tort relief, and if "panhandled" doctors (quite literally) are going to get some much needed premium relief, then Floridians better vote with their pocketbooks in approving the FMA?s ballot initiative.

Reports indicate that trial lawyers siphon off a full 30 to 40 percent of a plaintiff?s medical liability award as their fee, usually receiving 40 percent of the first million dollars their client is awarded, 20 percent of the second million and 20 percent of anything above that. According to a 2002 report of Jury Verdict Research, Inc., more than half of all medical malpractice awards today top a million dollars, and the average award has increased to a whopping $3.5 million. Given that average award, the attorney would take home more than one million dollars even if his contingency fee was on the low end of 30 percent. That?s a lot in attorneys? fees.

Under the proposed amendment, lawyers will take far less because Florida patients will receive 70 percent of the first $250,000 awarded, and 90 percent of anything more, less the legal costs of bringing the suit. In other words, the patient?s legal representative will have to settle for 30 percent of the first $250,000 and only 10 percent of anything else ? a marked improvement from current practice.

With 50,000 signatures in hand, the proposal now goes to the Florida Supreme Court for review to be sure that the amendment is clear and refers to a single subject. After approval, the FMA will need to collect about 450,000 more signatures in order to place it on the November 2004 ballot.

The FMA?s proposal will almost certainly not be the only initiative placed on Florida?s 2004 ballot in the ongoing war between legal reformers and the trial bar. Apparently in retaliation for the FMA proposal, the political action committee of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Floridians for Patient Protection, has already announced three of its own proposed questions for voters in the Sunshine State, all while maintaining that any cap on fees would make it virtually impossible to try medical malpractice cases. The first proposal seeks to limit what doctors can charge in some cases, forcing them to charge all patients the lowest fee they charge to any patient for a procedure. Another proposal seeks to take away a physician?s license if he is found guilty three times of medical malpractice. And the last proposal would open up doctors? records by requiring them to make public all medical incidents resulting in injury or death.

While those proposals may sound appealing at first blush, Florida voters should keep in mind their backers because each of the lawyers? proposals will, no doubt, further line the pockets of their brethren as they are designed to be the statutory seeds of lawsuits to come.

Given the national importance of these issues, voters across the country may experience a little d?j? vu in the 2004 elections. The issue may be different, but, just like four years ago, all eyes are on Florida and the trial lawyers working overtime to "win" the election. Let?s hope they lose the final tally this time, too, as our medical and economic health depends on it.

Article taken from: http://www.dcmsonline.org/ConstitutionalAmendment/catalkingpoints.htm

Constitutional Amendment What Patients Need to Know

The Florida Medical Association House of Delegates voted on August 30, 2003 to move forward with a constitutional amendment to limit attorney?s contingency fees.

This amendment will ensure that patients in a medical liability case will receive the vast majority of the money awarded to them.

Currently trial attorneys receive 30-40% of a medical liability award. The Duval County Medical Society and the FMA feel this is not fair to patients, and that runaway jury awards to feed the lawyers? bank accounts contribute to rising healthcare costs for all of us.

Under this proposed amendment patients will receive 70% of the first $250,000 awarded and 90% of the remainder of the award.

Under this improved system, the trial attorneys will be fully reimbursed for all their costs; litigants? access to the legal system will not be affected. What will change is that patients who bring legitimate lawsuits and are awarded financial redress will be able to rightly keep the majority of that award.

These are not changes that can be made in the Legislature; Florida law mandates that to make things more equitable for patients, we must pass a constitutional amendment.

Florida law requires that over 450,000 signatures from registered voters be obtained and verified in order for this proposal to be placed on the ballot. Citizens for a Fair Share, Inc. is the statewide organization working with the FMA to put this proposal before Florida voters in the November 2004 elections.

The Florida Medical Association will assist the DCMS and other First Coast County Medical Societies, and serve as a liaison between affiliated organizations, the business community, and other groups to accomplish this goal.

We need every physician in Northeast Florida to get the petitions signed. Additional copies of the petition are available from the Duval County Medical Society at 355-6561
--------------------------------------------------------------
I guess we have to call that number and get copies of the petition. Kind of wondering why they are only targetting Northeast physicians. Isn't this a state affair and for the entire public?

Indebt4Life said:
Article taken from: http://www.dcmsonline.org/ConstitutionalAmendment/catalkingpoints.htm

Constitutional Amendment What Patients Need to Know

The Florida Medical Association House of Delegates voted on August 30, 2003 to move forward with a constitutional amendment to limit attorney?s contingency fees.

This amendment will ensure that patients in a medical liability case will receive the vast majority of the money awarded to them.

Currently trial attorneys receive 30-40% of a medical liability award. The Duval County Medical Society and the FMA feel this is not fair to patients, and that runaway jury awards to feed the lawyers? bank accounts contribute to rising healthcare costs for all of us.

Under this proposed amendment patients will receive 70% of the first $250,000 awarded and 90% of the remainder of the award.

Under this improved system, the trial attorneys will be fully reimbursed for all their costs; litigants? access to the legal system will not be affected. What will change is that patients who bring legitimate lawsuits and are awarded financial redress will be able to rightly keep the majority of that award.

These are not changes that can be made in the Legislature; Florida law mandates that to make things more equitable for patients, we must pass a constitutional amendment.

Florida law requires that over 450,000 signatures from registered voters be obtained and verified in order for this proposal to be placed on the ballot. Citizens for a Fair Share, Inc. is the statewide organization working with the FMA to put this proposal before Florida voters in the November 2004 elections.

The Florida Medical Association will assist the DCMS and other First Coast County Medical Societies, and serve as a liaison between affiliated organizations, the business community, and other groups to accomplish this goal.

We need every physician in Northeast Florida to get the petitions signed. Additional copies of the petition are available from the Duval County Medical Society at 355-6561
--------------------------------------------------------------
I guess we have to call that number and get copies of the petition. Kind of wondering why they are only targetting Northeast physicians. Isn't this a state affair and for the entire public?

Hey guys,

This ballot iniative is constitutional. Go look at http://election.dos.state.fl.us/initiatives/initiativelist.asp and it's under "The Medical Liability Claimant's Compensation Amendment"

The key steps now are getting in contact with Erik Kirk and Joyce Malone with Citizens for a fair share to arrange fundraising and getting physicians on board.

go to: http://www.citizensforafairshare.org/eagles.html and let's get some $$ from docs to support this initiative.

Go see: http://www.floridiansforpatientprotection.org/files/Daily_Bus Review_5-24-04.PDF

I really thought this quote was a little strange.

"Regardless of the merits of the doctors? case, some insiders continue to urge them to give up their fight before they do themselves ? and other business groups ? great damage. The doctors are being warned that the plaintiff bar will bury them with its overwhelming financial advantage."

?The message from the trial lawyers to the doctors is, ?If you get to the ballot, there?s no limit on what we can spend,? ? said Bob Levy, a veteran Tallahassee lobbyist who is not involved in this fight. ?Doctors traditionally don?t dig deep into their pockets. What they?re doing is bringing a 45 mm pistol to the battle when the trial lawyers are bringing an M-16.?

It's time to act. Get doctors on board, prove to the lawyers with deep pockets that doctors DO CARE about values and hard work. We do respect patients and their rights. We absolutely do care about autonomy and want to do everything in our power to make Florida a positive place to physicians to practice.

I love my state so much that I will fight to the end so that when I become a doctor, I will not have to leave it just because I cannot afford insurance coverage.

-Mike

Okay? Mike, you totally lost me. Why do we need to raise money from doctors? Is money necessary to make constitutional changes? I thought we just need signatures and votes. Please explain. Also in the second article I cite, why are they rallying up Northeast docs as opposed to ALL Florida docs? Or even registered voters for that matter?