Florida MPJE Emergency CII Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaCyclist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm currently studying for the Florida MPJE (Exam tomorrow), and I have a question regarding the filling of an emergency CII prescription order. Namely, the federal law according to the pharmacists manual requires the prescriber to provide a written hardcopy prescription to the dispensing pharmacist within 7 days of issuing the emergency CII order, but the Florida statute says nothing about requiring a written order in Florida Statute 893.04: "A prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II may be dispensed only upon a written prescription of a practitioner, except that in an emergency situation, as defined by regulation of the Department of Health, such controlled substance may be dispensed upon oral prescription but is limited to a 72-hour supply. A prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II may not be refilled."

I assume Federal law prevails because it is, in effect, more strict and thus a hard copy is required within the 7 day timeframe in Florida. It just bothers me that Florida fails to mention anything about requiring a hardcopy, I think. Please share your input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)