mumd2011

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone have any information about the Florida residency programs? It seems that feedback about these programs is underrepresented on many forums and I would love some feedback if anyone has some to offer. Thanks!

anonperson

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Does anyone have any information about the Florida residency programs? It seems that feedback about these programs is underrepresented on many forums and I would love some feedback if anyone has some to offer. Thanks!
Winnie Palmer in Orlando
-Very busy obstetric volume. One of the busiest hospitals in the country in terms of deliveries, up there with Parkland I believe.
-Essentially community based
-Young program director. Very nice guy
-Doing MFM from there is doable. Unsure about other fellowships
-Very nice facilities and large women and children's hospital
-Probably a bit lacking in the GYN area in terms of volume

USF in Tampa
-Mid tier academic program
-Pretty cool location right off the water
-MFM fellowship was disbanded and trying to get back on track. They didn't elaborate on the specific reason for this. Associated GYN oncology fellowship
-Interns only do vaginal deliveries. C/D are for PGY-2s I believe.
-Spellacy is a well established MFM and the PD I think. Older guy but still very active
-THe chairwoman is someone inhouse who is there in an interim basis depending on how she peforms. This was a year ago so things may have changed.
-Nice program. Trying to emphasize research and make themselves mroe academic
-Reasonable to try for GYN Oncology or MFM from this program.

dr1day

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the info on Winnie Palmer. I'm looking forward to my interview there. Do you know anything about UF-Jacksonville?