Florida Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainEM

Mountain Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks-
Looking for some advice on being a D.O. and applying to FL programs. I never thought I would apply to FL programs but some of them seem to offer a good education in a nice sunny setting... and I would rather be there than in the flatlands of america somewhere. Anyhow, I have been given a few interviews and my question is...

Do any of the programs tailor to the D.O. residents they have when it comes to the 5 state (FL, PA, MI, OK, WV) AOA licensing stuff? I mean, can we get resolution 42 if we go to residency at say Orlando or USF, or jax?

MSU-kalamazoo has it all laid out for the D.O. candidates applying.

http://www.kcms.msu.edu/node/104

"a. You could do the same 36 month residency curriculum as our MD residents, decide to never practice in those five states, and not bother applying via Resolution 42.

b. You could do the same 36 month residency curriculum as our MD residents, and apply in your PGY-1 year via Resolution 42. If successful, you could get licensed in all 50 states.

c. Finally, you could elect to dually enroll in both the first year of our EM residency program, and our AOA Internship (assuming that slots are available). You would be eligible for licensure in all 50 states, and would not need to apply via Resolution 42.

§ However, you would not do exactly the same 36 month curriculum as our MD residents. AOA internship requirements are different than those of our EM residency, and our PGY-1 year requires a little tweaking make it count for both. "

I don't really want to fly down and interview if I am going to find out later that I can only practice in 45 states. I don't plan on practicing in these 5 states but after all this time and money....I want to be licensed in all 50 thank you:rolleyes:

any advice?
cheers

Members don't see this ad.

skip all that detailed stuff.....all you need to know is go ahead and apply. there are absolutely no problems with DO's going into MD programs in FL using res 42. just know it can always be revoked at any time by the AOA (that's what i was told during interviews) but I doubt it'll happen. good luck!

thanks so much! I will schedule and forget.

Looking forward to it.

cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't plan on practicing in these 5 states but after all this time and money....I want to be licensed in all 50 thank you:rolleyes:

any advice?
cheers

So, getting licensed in all 50 would cost a lot. Each is around $1K give or take.

1000 for each?
Do you have to do a resolution 42 for each of the 5? Do you need to do it in residency or just when you are looking for a job in that state?
confused.

or are you saying applying to licensure in all 50 for anyone would be a lot of money separate from this whole 5 state DO thing?

Yes. You have to apply for and pay for a license in each state, regardless of DO or MD status.

ok then...
I meant I want the option to be able to get licensed in any state if I choose to live there NOT to be licensed in all 50 at one time.

What do y'all think about the three-strikes policy? I briefly tried to do some research, but most everything I found seemed like it came out a couple of years ago and then hasn't really been talked about since.