-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Florida Schools Application thread (2008)
Started by greg1184
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
is it true, its a lot easier to get into miller miami medical school because its private???it looks like their gpa for gettin in the school is really low..why is that
is it true, its a lot easier to get into miller miami medical school because its private???it looks like their gpa for gettin in the school is really low..why is that
no way.. miami will probably have the highest gpa/mcat averages this year.. the new dean is from duke and he wants to make the school into a top 20 program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings. I have a close friend who was recently rejected pre-interview (post-secondary) from UF, so they are moving along with their applications. I have had an interview earlier this cycle, and they told us that they hold off on most decisions until December and April to make sure they give fair consideration to those who submitted their application later in the cycle (i.e. November as opposed to August). They just try to be as fair as possible, just like most other schools, although they do give some acceptances (I have heard 15-20 as the number from the past) on October 15/16. But I was incredibly impressed with everything at the school, and have nothing but good things to say. I hope this helps you out ufgrad00, and to all those who are anxiously waiting. And good luck!
Thanks for the info; I know a lot of current UF Med students that were complete in Septemberish and not even interviewed till January/February. I like the school and their curriculum a lot as well. I have two interviews coming up so I will be able to compare the school to others. In my undergrad I had some classes held in the MSB auditorium and other rooms in the communicore building. Also, when I had to do allnighters on campus I remember that it was really convenient being able to study in the blue room and then going to the hospital cafeteria for food and such. In fact one reason that I like UF is that it's connected to the hospital.
no way.. miami will probably have the highest gpa/mcat averages this year.. the new dean is from duke and he wants to make the school into a top 20 program.
Have you heard any idea what they're projecting towards? I heard about one other OOS school doing this, and seems like it would be pretty tough to make a big jump in one year.
well i know last year they took about 50 OOS applicants, which is double what they would take in years past... also, the mean mcat of matriculants went from about 30.5 to 31.5.. id say they take about 65 OOSers this year and have a mean mcat of about 32.5 for matriculants.. I really have no idea, but it seems like thats what they are leaning towards.😕
is it true, its a lot easier to get into miller miami medical school because its private???it looks like their gpa for gettin in the school is really low..why is that
No. Their average MCAT for the 2007 entering class is 32. Absolutely not low.
Speaking of Miami, they are seriously frustrating the living hell out of me...what's the interview & waitlist situations with them...anything like UF's where you might not hear till April or like USF's where they tell you a week after the interview??😕??
I had my interview at USF a week ago, and they told me they divided the applicants into three piles. The first pile were the students who looked good on paper- interviewed october/november. The second pile were the students who were so-so and the slackers from the first pile- interviewed december/january. The last pile were the ones who had the hardest shot- interviewed february/march. So from this I'm guessing that the earlier, the better.
However, my friend interviewed a different week told me they said that 1/2 to 2/3 of them would be rejected or waitlisted. To me those statistics don't really add up. What do you guys think?
However, my friend interviewed a different week told me they said that 1/2 to 2/3 of them would be rejected or waitlisted. To me those statistics don't really add up. What do you guys think?
Forget about it! If you interviewed last week then you'll find out the only fate that really matters tomorrow: yours!To me those statistics don't really add up. What do you guys think?
Forget about it! If you interviewed last week then you'll find out the only fate that really matters tomorrow: yours!
*Cue Funeral-esque Pipe Organ Music*
less than 24 hours until i get the decision from usf.. i think im going to lose my mind.😱.. i would have posted this in the other thread, but i want to keep the fl thread going strong👍
Forget about it! If you interviewed last week then you'll find out the only fate that really matters tomorrow: yours!
Lol ur right, even tho its only a week it feels like a month... i can't even pretend to forget abt it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After many, many weeks of being complete I am still waiting to hear anything (interview, hold, rejection, whatev) from the FL schools. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. 🙂
Amen to that. Also, with the 3 piles thing from USF; I think it's true that they (like practically every other med school) rank their applicants pre-interview. But you have to keep in mind that applicants get shuffled around. One person wants to go to UM, another UF, or OOS. Even if you're waitlisted (which happens to a majority of applicants, even the stellar ones) that doesn't meant you're immediately rejected. Again, stick with the process and...wait; which can really suck by the way.
The way I see it, a USF invite this wednesday will put you around Nov. 26th for an interview, so that would still be ideal. Needless to say, tomorrow will be a very exciting day; at least for most people. Good luck Zissou! only hours to go.

less than 24 hours until i get the decision from usf.. i think im going to lose my mind.😱.. i would have posted this in the other thread, but i want to keep the fl thread going strong👍
Prediction: Team Zissou gets gets his USF acceptance tomorrow and leaves all of us for the "Official 2007-2008 Acceptance Thread" and is never heard from again😀
Prediction: Team Zissou gets gets his USF acceptance tomorrow and leaves all of us for the "Official 2007-2208 Acceptance Thread" and is never heard from again😀
haha nah i cant leave the fl thread behind.. weve gota get it to 1000 posts first👍
Just got the call from FSU.... I'm in! 😀
Just got the call from FSU.... I'm in! 😀
Congrats!!!
Do you have any Stats/MDapps link/Complete Date/ Interview/Anything????Just got the call from FSU.... I'm in! 😀
congrats.. hopefully i get some good news tommorow because im prety sure i just got 5 overdraft fees from my bank, which is run by the devil.😡
Congrats!!!Do you have any Stats/MDapps link/Complete Date/ Interview/Anything????
no MDapps but I have a 3.5 bcpm, 3.67 overall and I interviewed ~2 weeks ago
no MDapps but I have a 3.5 bcpm, 3.67 overall and I interviewed ~2 weeks ago
Would you mind if I asked you your MCAT, roughly when your app was complete and how long from that date you received an interview? I feel like an a$$clown pestering you right after your acceptance, but any info will satiate my pre-interview psychosis😳 Congrats again!!!
Would you mind if I asked you your MCAT, roughly when your app was complete and how long from that date you received an interview? I feel like an a$$clown pestering you right after your acceptance, but any info will satiate my pre-interview psychosis😳 Congrats again!!!
haha no problem 🙂 I'll PM u
whatre all the fl applicants up to tonite?
Any fellow Floridians relaxing by checking out Nip/tuck and looking at SDN.
I'm way too far behind in Curb Your Enthusiasm and Dexter to even bother w/ another season of my 2 favorite nympho cosmetic surgeons from the 305...
accepted at USF!!! I can finally use the dancing banana 

accepted at USF!!! I can finally use the dancing banana![]()
Congrats! You didn't happen to tell them I'm a must-interview when they called, did you?👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
accepted at USF!!! I can finally use the dancing banana![]()
Congrats Zissou !
accepted at USF!!! I can finally use the dancing banana![]()
Welcome! If you want to know more about USF or want to sit in on a class one day just PM me! Good luck with other interviews!
accepted at USF!!! I can finally use the dancing banana![]()
congrats 😀
accepted at USF!!! I can finally use the dancing banana![]()
Congrats again man...not gonna lie, it was pretty awesome seeing you happy and sporting that big ****-eating grin today in class

Congrats! You didn't happen to tell them I'm a must-interview when they called, did you?👍
haha no i forgot but next time i talk to them ill let em know.. thanks for the congrats. 👍
thanks to everyone else as well.. may the fl applicants thread have many more interviews/acceptances

How does USF send out interview invites?
How does USF send out interview invites?
I think they do it by phone.
How does USF send out interview invites?
Last year they called. I imagine it is still the same way.
They call. If they cant get in contact with you, they will email you to call you back.
Last year they called. I imagine it is still the same way.
After many, many weeks of being complete I am still waiting to hear anything (interview, hold, rejection, whatev) from the FL schools. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. 🙂
Ok, so I've only been complete a couple weeks, but I'm just waiting too.... it sucks!!!!
Awesome news for Zissou👍 This wednesday was quiet as usual for me. Hopefully, I'm in that middle pile and I'll get an invite for around Dec. I'm still pulling for FSU to get me off their waitlist. Anyone familiar with FSU procedures? Do they keep you on hold until March? Good luck to everyone else on this thread. Still kind of odd I'm not hearning much news about Miami. Maybe there's a lot of OOS'ers this year.
I have the same issue. I called UM last week and was told my app was complete and is still in line for future review, or something along that line. I didn't contact USF, but got an email a month or so ago telling me I was complete. I think USF is swamped with apps and is trying to get through the pile as quickly as possible; which might be a bit difficult since REL left. All I know is USF has been giving invites 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ahead of the actual interview date, so I'm chomping at the bit to hear something from them this wednesday.
Good luck to Team Zissou!Tuesday will probably inch by.
Ok, so I think I know the answer to this, but does USF only offer interview invites on Wednesdays?? I was complete 10/17, and am just waiting. Same for UF and UM.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, so I know I haven't been complete that long, but I swear my hopes are beginning to be squashed! I do still have a chance right? 😕
Chill out. Of course you do. It's only November 1! Interviews go through the spring. You have plenty of time. I didn't interview at USF until March and ended up getting accepted in May. So you're way ahead of where I was at your stage.
Chill out. Of course you do. It's only November 1! Interviews go through the spring. You have plenty of time. I didn't interview at USF until March and ended up getting accepted in May. So you're way ahead of where I was at your stage.
thank you, that makes me feel better. 🙂 i will continue to wait...
I can sense the palpable co-opted hatred for UM increase on this thread as another week goes by without anyone hearing anything from them🙄
I can sense the palpable co-opted hatred for UM increase on this thread as another week goes by without anyone hearing anything from them🙄
No hatred here................ *runs away*
Chill out. Of course you do. It's only November 1! Interviews go through the spring. You have plenty of time. I didn't interview at USF until March and ended up getting accepted in May. So you're way ahead of where I was at your stage.
Really? Thank God there's still hope at USF; I was beginning to think my chances were pretty slim at this point. At least now I'll have something to say to my family/friends who keep asking "is it too late at usf"?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.