Florida State Licensing Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheerios

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on practicing in Florida and am from out of state. For all of you that are familiar with the Florida licensing exam, Do you know of 4th year dental students taking the florida exam in march? Are they usually successful or do you recommend waiting until the June exam?

Also the preparation classes that are offered, is there one class better than another?

Any other advice on passing the florida exam would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

cheerios said:
I am planning on practicing in Florida and am from out of state. For all of you that are familiar with the Florida licensing exam, Do you know of 4th year dental students taking the florida exam in march? Are they usually successful or do you recommend waiting until the June exam?

Also the preparation classes that are offered, is there one class better than another?

Any other advice on passing the florida exam would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you :)
I'm on the same boat you are, and certanly have the same questions. Have you gotten any info?

I'm all they way in CA and no one around here knows about FL board. If anyone has any info I'll appreciate it.

I don't know where both of you who already posted in this thread are, but you both may want to consider looking into how Florida will deal with accepting results of the ADEX exam (I understand they apparently may be accepting them for licensure). It may prove easier for you to take the ADEX exam where or nearer to where you are than traveling to FL for your exam. Just a thought...

Members don't see this ad :)
the florida board, as of the last meeting they will not accpet the ADEX

BUT...and a big BUT they admitted the ADEX is more comprehensive than the FL board and might accept it.

I took and passed the FL exam last summer. I would recommend the Bruce Gordy dental board preps course-it's the most expensive but it is the best. Do a google search and you'll find the website. Any other questions, let me know.

Rob

Rob2005 said:
I took and passed the FL exam last summer. I would recommend the Bruce Gordy dental board preps course-it's the most expensive but it is the best. Do a google search and you'll find the website. Any other questions, let me know.

Rob

Thanks for info Rob. Are you a FL graduate? How different were the preps the Dr. Gordy taught you from the ones you learned in school?
Thanks.

Thanks Dental0809 for the info.

Rob 2005 - I have heard the same about the Dr. Gordy course. Did you take the $7000 or the $5000 option?
Do you know anyone who took the exam in march?
Any advice on the florida boards? Did the class really prepare you?

cheerios said:
Rob 2005 - I have heard the same about the Dr. Gordy course. Did you take the $7000 or the $5000 option?
Do you know anyone who took the exam in march?
Any advice on the florida boards? Did the class really prepare you?

I'm a University of Minnesota graduate. I took the $5000 option; the $7000 option lets you borrow a few of their hand instruments, a curing light, and an amalgamator. With $2000, you could buy those things and have spare change. As far as the preps go, they are PFM's w/a 360 degree shoulder. The nice thing about the exam is that you can disarticulate the typodonts and hold them in you hands while prepping them. However, this gives the examiners license to grade them with more scrutiny. Make sure that your shoulder is EXACTLY 1.2 mm uniformly all the way around.

Rob 2005 - One more question what kind of tooth do you need to access and fill for the endo part? single or multiple canals?

Thanks

Single.

cheerios said:
Rob 2005 - One more question what kind of tooth do you need to access and fill for the endo part? single or multiple canals?

Thanks