Flow cytometry text book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainsalads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good flow cytometry text?

Members don't see this ad.

There are several. Flow Cytometry of Hematological Malignancies (by Ortolani), Flow Cytometry in the Evaluation of Hematopoietic Neoplasms: A Case-Based Approach (by CAP), and Flow Cytometry in Clinical Diagnosis (by ASCP Press), just to name three. Which one you would prefer probably depends on how in depth you would want to get and exactly what you want to get from such a text.

I ended up buying the Nguyen book that my attending recommended. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally feel that reading an entire text dedicated to flow cytometry during residency is overkill. I found that the basic chapters on flow cytomery found in a general hematopathology textbook (e.g. Kjeldsburg) along with the practical experience of seeing tons of flow cases on heme rotations was more than enough to allow me to interpret the majority of flow studies and answer flow questions on the boards wtih ease.

Obviously, if you are beginning a hematopathology fellowship, then that is a horse of an entirely different color. Some of my heme colleagues recently out of fellowship have good things to say about the new CAP case-based text referred to above.

I ended up buying the Nguyen book that my attending recommended. Any thoughts?

I hadn't heard of that one. It was published 10 yrs ago, not that much has changed in flow cytometry since then. Braylan (from NIH) is also listed as one of the editors, so I guess it's got that going for it.

I'm pretty partial to "Flow Cytometry of Hematological Malignancies" by Ortolani. It's a nice reference because it walks you through each CD marker and basically tells you what cell populations express what and at what intensity. Then it will walk you through neoplastic populations that may also express that same CD marker. It is by no means comprehensive, though.