Flowers & Silver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady bug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar w/ this book? I'm using it right now....it seems to be pretty good....comprehensive & great explanations...but I haven't really used anything else, so no real comparison. Do ya'll or anyone you know of used this book? Any reviews? Thanks a million. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I have the 1997 edition of Flowers & Silvers. I'm using that with a couple of other books which I was able to borrow from friends, including kaplan and the betz guide.

Flowers is far better than kaplan, in that it is much more concise, better writing, less extraneous material, and more understandable. Plus, flowers gets you really thinking in terms of proportionalities, where as kaplan just throws a bunch of formulas at you and expects you to plug and chug. The questions at the end of the flowers chapters are good and more realistic than the kaplan questions.

I will use kaplan as a reference mostly. Though, their chemistry section isn't too bad, so I may look at it more intensely when going over chem.

The Betz guide?? take it or leave it. I honestly haven't looked too closely at it.

Stick with flowers as your main guide and you won't go wrong, but don't be afraid to consult other books.

I am actually considering the examkrackers materials. I was at their website, and its pretty cool, you should definitely check it out and decide if its right for you <a href="http://examkrackers.com" target="_blank">web page</a>

Thanks Mr.Z....I'm also considering getting the Examcrackers verbal book. I have heard way too many raves about it from people that have rocked the verbal. I agree w/ you about the Kaplan books having way too much info. and extraneous material. They don't even say which formulas to memorize & which to just be familiar w/ like the Flowers book does. Good luck. Keep striving....