Flu Season!

Started by Stitch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't sure if this thread would do better in the neo forum, but I'll try it here.

What are you guys doing in your nurseries about flu/swine flu? The nursery director just sent out a policy email regarding new mothers with flu. If I understand it correctly, we're separating mom and baby for the first 48 hours and asking mom to pump rather than breast feed. I suspect this will cause problems, especially for those women with extensive birth plans.
 
I just heard about the same memo! I have no idea what the exact plan is going to be, I think they're still hashing out the details.

But someone said the babies won't room-in with mom, and likely won't go to the well-baby nursery either... so I'm not sure what mysterious vacuum-world we'll be sending the babies to.

I have to admit, I consider myself a reasonable person without an elaborate birth plan, but I'd be fairly ticked at not being able to have my baby for 2 days if I have a sniffle. Sniffles were all you needed to get swabbed and sent home 48 hrs this spring, so I don't know what criteria are gonna be used for "flu sx" in moms now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, well at least they're requiring temperature!

We got an Employee health notice "people have been testing positive with seasonal allergy sx and NO fever so ANY sx at all must report and get swabbed". The hourly employees were rightly scared of their pay loss.

Still not sure where the babies will go. Should be interesting...