fluids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfellow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have vertical columns that are open at the top that are filled with a fluid and then you narrow the diameter of the columns does the height not change? I'm trying to understand this intuitively and I'm having a little trouble. Thanks

happy

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, height is only dependent on the pressure on the bottom of the column. If the pressure decreases, then the fluid level will decrease.

uhh. depends if the bottom is closed... if you're asking about it the way i think gryhu assumed, then no. fluid flowing through a horizontal tube with a vertical tube sticking off of it - diameter of this measuring tube makes no difference, height is determined by pressure/flow in the horizontal tube only. bigger diameter measuring tube, you're pushing up more water (more water weight) but you also have a larger area at the measuring tube opening for the horizontal flow to work on - pressure is force * area kinda deal...