Flunking out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovepharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 1st year pharmD student at one of the top schools in the country and I'm scared I'm going to flunk out! I've had 4 midterms so far this year and failed all of them. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong because I feel like all I ever do is study; I'm not a slacker in the least bit and I'm not a partier. Everyday after classes I get home and do my assignments. When getting ready for tests, I go to study groups, read the text, go over practice problems, etc and still I keep doing poorly on exams. I'm so frustrated and scared. I'm finally getting the education that I've worked so hard for and now I feel like I'm going to lose it all. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice? I'm desperate :cry:

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your course coordinator/professors and ask for help. Most schools have some kind of a tutoring program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try not to memorize information as much as trying to make sense of it. Prepare yourself before tests by coming up with questions the professor might ask. Try to think of questions that test your knowledge past the recall/recognition, I've notices most of my tests are formatted with analysis/comparison questions.
Furthermore, don't give up! Good luck...

Yea because people like you are here looking to make others feel bad about themselves. So what happened to you as a child to make you so bitter? I feel sorry for you.

Yea because people like you are here looking to make others feel bad about themselves. So what happened to you as a child to make you so bitter? I feel sorry for you.

Okay, I know that you are upset, but you came to us for advice.

Yes, Caverject is blunt, but he is right. We can't help you. At OU, they preach from day 1 that if you need help, go to Student Affairs, Rho Chi for tutors, or whatever. But, we can't help you, and we don't know your true situation.

His SDN id, Caverject, is an injection for ED. That might answer your question :smuggrin:.
Seriously, you need to go to your professors. We are not in your situation, therefore we can't offer you the best advice. You shouldn't wait any longer, because your career and future livelihood may be at stake!

I'm here to make people feel better about themselves in comparison. I mean, hell, *I* made it through pharmacy school....er well...in a few weeks, anyway...if I can do it.....

I would talk to your professors too~ you would not have gotten this far if you didnt not show that you had the potential~ they want you to do well so talk to them ~ I am a P-1 too and had a disappointing round of tests a couple weeks ago and am hoping to better on the next round, which starts at 7am in the morn :confused:

Thank you everyone for your advice. The reason I come to SDN with my problem is because I'm hoping to talk to others that can relate to me. Of course I'm going to talk to my professors, but what's the point of this forum if people tell you not to post your questions here because you "should" be asking someone else? And besides, plenty of you were able to advise me to go to my professors without offending me. There is a way to talk to people if you want to help them and if you're not there to help, then you shouldn't say anything at all.

Heatherkmd, best of luck to you on your exam tomorrow----don't worry, you're gonna kick @#% :)

Something that is always good to do is to go and review your exams. Sometimes they could have marked it wrong, or you can explain your answer for partial marks (mostly if the exam is written). Even if everything is marked correctly, you should see why you got something wrong and try identify a trend, ie you're misreading questions or something. Whenever I get a test mark that doesn't correlate with the amount of time spent or my level of confidence, I definitely look at the exam again. You can really learn alot by review exams. Most of the time you can argue for a couple more marks :D (yeah, i'm one of those relentless, nit-picky people)

Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly! He gave you the very best advice you could get & I graduated from on of the VERY BEST schools in the nation, so I know good advice when I see it.

I tried to see where you were coming from by reading your previous posts, but they were about bankruptcy and poor choices in your early 20's.

So - do the right thing now. Go to the people who can really help you. That would be the people in your school. What you're doing is not working. You need to change your approach.

So...on your way to your advisor's office - ask yourself - are you really LEARNING this (could you explain it to your grandmother, for example), or are you memorizing it?

Now - get the chip off your shoulder, get to work & good luck!!!!

I wasn't tryin to be snide. If I was, I'd say something like saying you dont belong in school. Believe it or not, I was in your situation. The people on SDN are NOBODIES and can not contribute to your success. The only one that can are the people that help put you in your position....yourself and your professors. Go talk to them for help. Seriously...

Old trick. That was on collegehumor a while ago. Loved the clear "duct tape."

Nahhhh....he's a bucket of sunshine!

Your mom's a nobody.

You know what cracks me up about video games? I've never in my life seen a game have a story line that is actually good.....like one that can stand up against great works of literature....or even crap works of literature...like Stephen King....yet all the time my nerd friends talk about how this or that RPG had such a great story line. Riiiiiiiight....

Ilovepharmd,

How are you doing? Did you talk to your professor?

Don't give up!

You see how selfish people are. Someone starts a thread to get some help and pple turn it to be abt themselves. What does video games, aviators and being a somebody have to do with this thread. If u have nothing productive to say, then don't post. If you r bored and feel like you have to post on like every thread, it'll be better if you go out and count pple on the streets as they walk by. Or cars. At least it'll keep ur mind busy. My grandfather has been doing that for abt 3 months now. A new hobby. And guess what, he now talks less. I heard him telling my mom the other day that he doesn't know why it had taken him so long to come up with such an idea.

You see how selfish people are. Someone starts a thread to get some help and pple turn it to be abt themselves. What does video games, aviators and being a somebody have to do with this thread. If u have nothing productive to say, then don't post. If you r bored and feel like you have to post on like every thread, it'll be better if you go out and count pple on the streets as they walk by. Or cars. At least it'll keep ur mind busy. My grandfather has been doing that for abt 3 months now. A new hobby. And guess what, he now talks less. I heard him telling my mom the other day that he doesn't know why it had taken him so long to come up with such an idea.
why don't you go back to pre-pharmacy where you came from...thank you...good bye

Well, I guess you know where your life is heading. You could start now and keep a log book of all the cars and people you count. Make it a contest with the other borish members of your family.....

You go to one of the best schools in the country for pharmacy. This means that the school has invested in you and committed to having you graduate, one of the perks of being in the prestigious programs out there; it looks bad if you don't. Seek them out. They'll help you because they want you to succeed - they wouldn't have accepted you otherwise.

why don't you go back to pre-pharmacy where you came from...thank you...good bye

I'll post anywhere I want to. I'm sorry if it bothers u. I didn't realize ur dad owns SDN and hired u to tell pple where to post and where not to post.

Well, I guess you know where your life is heading. You could start now and keep a log book of all the cars and people you count. Make it a contest with the other borish members of your family.....

No doubt. But I can see we have some similarities. Only a boring person can tell when he sees one like himself. Anything else u'll like me to know??

I'll post anywhere I want to. I'm sorry if it bothers u. I didn't realize ur dad owns SDN and hired u to tell pple where to post and where not to post.
wow...the apple really didn't fall too far from the tree between you and your grandfather...