Flying out on interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

food4thots

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which websites, travel agencies, or airlines do you guys use to travel to interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

but does it offer special student discounted fares?

Members don't see this ad :)
expedia and orbitz are good sites to sniff out the best deals. once you find the cheapest carrier, go to their site because sometimes they have web-exclusives not listed on expedia/orbitz. plus, you won't have to pay extra fees if you buy directly from the carrier. also, keep in mind that some low-fare carriers like southwest do not participate with expedia/orbitz, so don't forget to check them too!

hope this helps!

thanks for the tips guys.. keep them coming.

Buying plane tickets at their lowest price is all about timing. You want to try to buy within 2 to 1 week before the actual flight.

Being from the Westcoast, I typically fly America West because they offer the lowest fares and have the most variety of flight times.

http://www.seatguru.com/

This site is a must to find more information on the airline and type of plane you will be flying in. Seriously check this site before purchasing a seat. If you have to spend $300, make sure its an airline that offers inflight entertainment and comfortable seats

For example I recently flew on Northwest Boeing 757 (300) and on the way back 757 (200). Northwest has got to be the most bare-bones service out there. No inflight entertainment, the seats on these plane are super packed, they don't even offer peanuts with their drinks. I paid $333 for those tickets too. They deserve to be bankrupt. :thumbdown:

In contrast, I flew across country on a Delta/Song 757 for $198, the seats are leather, plenty of leg room, and each one comes with its own Direct Satellite TV. :thumbup:

BTW Boeing is coming out with its new 787 DreamLiner. It has alot of new feautures,for instance, the cabin humidity will be increased from 5% to 15%. Simulated day and night time. I can't wait to fly on this thing.

You can get great student rates at www.studentuniverse.com. I have used them to fly to Montana twice, and I have saved hundreds. It's great for getting across the country. Also, I have heard that independent airlines is great for flying in the Southeast, though I haven't tried them yet. Hope this helps!

PS. I wanted to second the guy who wrote about Northwest. They are HORRIBLE! They have a monopoly on Missoula, Montana so I have to fly with them, but in the 6 flights I have taken with them, they have not been on time ONCE. It's freaking ridiculous.

thanks guys, i found studentuniverse to have pretty good fares..