Flying through WS in 7 days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is on the 16th, so that gives me around a week of countdowning. I've been doing AAMC practice tests lately averaging 33-35 (PS 12, VR 11, BS 12 ish). I abandoned writing samples until now because AAMC practice tests don't mark your essays, and time flew when I was having too much fun with other sections!! :rolleyes:

Here's my question. Any tips for this poor little soul in need to fly through WS and be prepared in 7 days? Am I in a pit of doom with no exits? What are some good examples to put in my brain pocket? I am more scared about the WS than I am with VR. At least VR I can click on something and hope for chances.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people seem to think WS is a very easy section. Not only that, but adcoms put almost no consideration into your WS score... I'm just going to read some tips on how to tackle the writing section the day before their exam, lol.

I wouldn't waste 7 days on the WS. Maybe, MAYBE do them on your remaining practice tests, but that's even a bit much.

Just keep it 3 paragraphs: 1st) Paraphrase the prompt statement and explain it. Give an example of when it's true. 2nd) Give an example of when it's false. 3rd) Give a guideline for deciding when the statement is true or false.

Follow instructions, stick to the basics and you should get at least an N or an O. You're not trying to impress anyone with your WS score, you're just trying not to raise any eyebrows.
:thumbup:

YES, you can do it! I was in a similar position as you before my test on the 4th.

Besides actually practicing essays, another thing I would do is make a list of examples, that can be used broadly. I would make myself familiar with these examples. So even if you are not able to go through all of the prompts, you will have examples at your hand that you can ...I don't wanna say twist...you will have examples at hand that can work for many different prompts from many different angles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Anthrax. Learn a few facts about education and a few about politics so that you might have specific examples to fall back on. In addition, I would go to wikipremed.com and read over the writing section advice and check out some samples. I didn't do the writing section on any of my PTs; I just took about a minute to consider each side of the statement to see if I could come up with a legitimate argument both ways. If not, after the test, I would do a quick google search to find examples and then move on with my life. I ended up with an O which isn't phenomenal, but it is good enough for me. Keep in mind that I am also a slow typer and I usually need time to write a great essay...I'm not good at this 30 minute stuff. Good luck and don't worry too much about writing!

The original purpose of the writing section was 2 fold. First it was there as an indication of your writing ability. Second, it was there to exhaust premeds for what is typically everyone's strongest section--Bio.

However, if you piece together a beautiful personal statement, no one is going to care about your writing score on the mcat. In fact, I'm pretty sure no one cares anyway. I got an N on my writing sample, and no one seems to really care because it sits right next to a fat 35.

cj8