Flying with 3 cats!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vet2be2012

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am going to vet school this fall. But before I do that, I started doing what I do in the US, foster care, here in France! But I soon became aware of the difference, it's impossible to find them homes here because there are no active websites that everyone knows about. As far as I know, there are no adoption days either, or anything like that. I could have left them at the shelter, but their chances of being placed into good homes was low because they don't have the chance to screen like I do! I have had some responses, but none were serious responses. I have had my boys since October. I did however find a home for one of them right away (meaning 2 months after searching), the Siamese kitten. Now, I still have my 3 wonderful boys! They are the cutest little things and have the best personalities ever! They started from the beginning fighting over food, and still do. I got them as 3 month old very feral kittens, and a shelter was desperate to find a foster home to socialize. Long story, but they got sick and the shelter refused to pay, hence, they didn't return there!

I am coming home in 2 months with my babies, I think! I am still actively looking, but not as much. I think it’s hopeless. They are about 8 months old now!

So my question is, has anyone ever traveled overseas before with animals? I already called the airline, and they have 3 spots reserved for all 3 planes I will be taking. I am very nervous about this, and I don't know where to find out information about how smoothly it goes in the plane. They will not allow them to travel with me in the cabin, so they have to travel in what they said is a special hold section on the plane that is pressurized and climatized. I have 2 connecting flights, in 2 different countries on top of it, and I am worried about them either losing them or them not seeing the papers on them and then holding them in Germany without even telling me. It's a very long trip so I am very nervous about how they will be in the plane. It’s not at all ideal and I just wish they could find wonderful homes here! I will have to find them homes when I get back anyways. I am so attached to them that I will definitely have to have a definite sense of security that they are permanent homes. Any advice would be great! This is definitely not a standard flight! Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to read this!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of people fly their pets. In my class at uni several people have brought dogs and cats with them from places such as the USA and Hong Kong. And the USA to Australia is a lonnnnnnnnnnnng way. None of them have had any problems either!!!

Thanks Holly! That makes me feel better. However, I have heard a lot of horror stories about animals flying in cargo. If I could afford it, I would have them fly with specific animal handlers, but that would be a few 1,000! I can barely afford what I am paying now through cargo!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never flown with animals before, but just wanted to wish you good luck. I would be nervous too especially with that many switch overs.

Hi,
I took my cat with me when I moved form Italy to Us.I had a direct flight but it still is a 9 hours flight plus travels to the airport/home ,checking -in and out, for a total of about 16 h.
He was six months old....and he did just fine!
I didn't give him any medication, I was worried about the temperature in the place he was going to stay..... Some companies don't accept sedated animals, you might want to check with the one/s you are using...
When I picked him up at the airport he was very thirsty, but not dehydrated. The water I put in the container attached to the cage, had spilled out, you might want to look for a better system to put some water in the cages.
He wasn't even scared and as soon as we got to the new house he started exploring like nothing happened!!
The only disappointing thing is he got fleas, even if he was on frontline .....I guess those pressurized and climatized places for pets aren't very clean!
I didn't have plane switches, but if you are flying with only one company I wouldn't be too worried.
Good luck with your flights!
Francesca

P.S.: Do they have passports and microchips? I don't know exactly how it works for animals in transit (you mentioned you are stopping in germany) but all the animals traveling to the ECC need a passport and a microchip....so it was when I traveled (nov. 2005).....
I am not sure of this, but you might want to look for more info where you live.

Hi,
I took my cat with me when I moved form Italy to Us.I had a direct flight but it still is a 9 hours flight plus travels to the airport/home ,checking -in and out, for a total of about 16 h.
He was six months old....and he did just fine!
I didn't give him any medication, I was worried about the temperature in the place he was going to stay..... Some companies don't accept sedated animals, you might want to check with the one/s you are using...
When I picked him up at the airport he was very thirsty, but not dehydrated. The water I put in the container attached to the cage, had spilled out, you might want to look for a better system to put some water in the cages.
He wasn't even scared and as soon as we got to the new house he started exploring like nothing happened!!
The only disappointing thing is he got fleas, even if he was on frontline .....I guess those pressurized and climatized places for pets aren't very clean!
I didn't have plane switches, but if you are flying with only one company I wouldn't be too worried.
Good luck with your flights!
Francesca

P.S.: Do they have passports and microchips? I don't know exactly how it works for animals in transit (you mentioned you are stopping in germany) but all the animals traveling to the ECC need a passport and a microchip....so it was when I traveled (nov. 2005).....
I am not sure of this, but you might want to look for more info where you live.

Thank you very much for the info Francesca! They do have microchips, but no passports yet. I will get them as I get closer to when I am leaving. I just realized that I will be leaving now in about 6 weeks! Unfortunately, it is not the same airline. It is Lufthansa from Nice to Germany, and then United for the other two. This has complicated things a bit because I need to call Lufthansa to confirm all 3 of them. United tried to book them on Lufthansa but the computer would only confirm 1. It would probably be much easier if I just take them to Glasgow with me. This would be a much shorter trip for them and I wouldn't have to worry about the stress of finding them homes, lol! They also have their rabies vaccinated too. They are fixed and vaccinated for the kitty respiratory viruses too. If they come back and are fine besides flees, I would be very happy! We'll see what happens! I am dreading it!

Thanks so much everyone who re-assuring me and wishing them luck on their voyage!:)

Talking about microchips..... looks like the European ones "don't work" here in the US :confused:
two different vets, with 3 different reading devices, couldn't read my cat's microchip. Seems that they have some mysterious "electrical difference"......:(
Don't worry about it, it wasn't a problem at the airport, where they took just a look to the passport, it's only disappointing!!:mad:

I'm sure you'll be able to fix the problem with the airlines company......be strong they are there to drive you nut, but if you scream loud enough you'll win!! lol !!
Francesca

Talking about microchips..... looks like the European ones "don't work" here in the US :confused:
two different vets, with 3 different reading devices, couldn't read my cat's microchip. Seems that they have some mysterious "electrical difference"......:(
Don't worry about it, it wasn't a problem at the airport, where they took just a look to the passport, it's only disappointing!!:mad:

I'm sure you'll be able to fix the problem with the airlines company......be strong they are there to drive you nut, but if you scream loud enough you'll win!! lol !!
Francesca

I was told they don't work very well in the US! That's ok though. I don't really care about it. It's just required to pass the border. But I best they will never even scan their microchip anyways. I called again last night and they said all 3 were confirmed for all flights. I asked them what else I need to do and they couldn't tell me. Each person says a different thing. I have no idea what size carrier, what I need to do as far as health certificates, vaccinations, etc. I wish they knew more!

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/pettravel.html

Check out this USDA web site as different states have different requirements. Scroll down the first column to find the link to the state web sites.;)

The other right column of the page has very usful info about what type of carrier to purchase.

And here is one more website that gives examples of problems that airlines have had with pets.

http://www.dryfur.com/pet_airline_incidents.htm

Thank you so much for the information! The second site was extremely helpful. It made me realize that I need to secure the cage very well and have something that absorbs well so the cats will not be wet. I leave France in 2 weeks, and it's a US company, so I am trying to see if they could get me the items asap! :)